The Fyndraai Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprocketbek

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
For preparation I started off by doing some aerial reconnaissance of the bash site:  ;D

009B.jpg

But in actual fact, we used the more conventional means to plot our route: Mapsource, T4A, maps.
Abel & myself had managed to get a week off work prior to the National Bash as well as a week thereafter. The oppurtunity was just too good to miss. On our bucket list were a few places to see and people to visit.

Prepped the bikes and packed our stuff. His Honda XL600R developed a nasty misfire after he had washed it a week before the trip; the topgasket was oozing some oil out on the R/H side and when it starts it would emit a puff of smoke at the gasket. Despite all attempts the misfire persisted, and it was a bitch to kickstart.

Nevertheless, there was no stopping us. We hit the road the Saturday before the bash.  ;D

First gravel was just outside Melkbos: Darling, Moorreesburg, Koringberg area. Crossed the Berg river at Sanddrif.
The previous time we were there it looked like this:

023B.jpg

That time I had to be dragged back out in reverse, cut the motor just in time.
This time it was no challenge:

020B.jpg

Despite some planning we were carrying more luggage than optimum. It actually looks heavier than it was. I took a 7.5 cm Thermarest as I was not prepared to sleep badly. Rather bulky but it really sleeps well.

PA230004B.jpg

Next up was the beautiful Kapteinskloof:
022B.jpg

The tar road to Elandsbaai is closed due to roadworks. Traffic gets diverted via Paleisheuwel. A Daewoo Matiz with two girls in turned onto the gravel road just as we arrived at the intersection. We stopped for a cooldrink & smoke and then set off in the same direction. We were not far behind them when the driver lost control on the loose gravel surface, hit the verge and rolled it:

023B.jpg

030B.jpg

The passenger had banged her head badly so I waited there while Abel went to the nearby farmhouse. Police were called etc. but another woman stopped with a SUV and took them to hospital.

We crossed the N7 and Olifants River at Clanwilliam and rode gravel to Klawer (past the Bulshoek Dam), then tar to Vanrhynsdorp. Quick refill, bite to eat & 2 beers. Waterval Oord was our destination for the night but we took the scenic route via Gifberg. This was our first Ouberg Pass for the trip. (I see it's not listed in the passes index......yet).

033B.jpg

It was rather cold, we pulled into the campsite just as it got dark. After a brief negotiation the owner offered us a chalet for a price that couldn't be turned down. He had cash in hand, we had a roof over our heads. Everybody happy.  :deal:

036B.jpg

The waterfall can be seen on the horison. No time to explore, though.

043B.jpg

That morning we retraced our steps and went up Ouberg pass and then looped along Gifberg. The roadsigns were confusing so I guess we turned left a bit late. We encountered very rough terrain, deep sand tweespoor and about 40 gates. Eventually we arrived back on the track we were supposed to be on. Less hectic but still tweespoor with sandy patches and more gates.

049B.jpg

052B.jpg

This Puff Adder lay next to the road. Makes you keep your eyes open a bit more  ::) :

054B.jpg

We carried on with small gravel roads to the foot of Vanrhyns Pass. A bit of left-over red wine from the previous night while we donned rain clothes:

PA240008B.jpg

Refilled in Nieuwoudtville and headed for Brandvlei via the Hantam area. There are some spectacular backroads in this area, the last time we did them was with Leftless and Andy660 on the return from the 2009 bash. The best bits eluded us this time though: slight navigational error on my part.

057B.jpg