To Hogsback via Katberg.FIXED!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Disselboom

As my quads were not sold nor used for a while, I felt an irresistable itch to go for a ride.I phoned my buddy Wayne and proposed a ride to Hogsback via all the neglected backroads from Queenstown.Needless to say it didn't take much convincing him.

hoggswayne4wp.jpg

We were packed with extra fuel and full hydro packs.The 4 kays of tar went fast but bitterly cold and then the gravel welcomed us.The first stop was Kamastone.

hoggskamastone3po.jpg

hoggskamastone28it.jpg

The first 40 kays made for top gear riding and high speed power slides, with the odd rut and eroded water crossing to keep you on your toes.Then it was a junction and we decided on the road less traveled.

hoggstheroadlesstravelled9ma.jpg

With the mountains looming close we set off.
hoggssada9pu.jpg

At the back of the first mountain we discovered this dam, and I vowed to return with my fly rod to see if any scaly characters call this pond home.

hoggsdam8cb.jpg

The mountain pass started in earnest, and the narrow, muddy trail demanded full attention.I braved my vertigo at the top for a look back at the way we came.

hoggsoverthetop1sh.jpg

hoggsmuddytrail5pl.jpg

hoggstothetop8ox.jpg

hoggslookingback1bz.jpg

At last we were over the top and the scenery changed from barren, rocky outcrops to thickly wooded forests.

hoggsnewkatbergpass2hd.jpg

hoggsintheforest9tc.jpg

Now it was the last 20 clicks to Hogsback, climbing up Mitchell's pass and taking a break near the top to have a look back.
spass1it.jpg

We rode the last five kays in a thick fog and stopped of at the Saw Romm for coffee and steak rolls, before heading back.

Some more pics to follow later.