Place names, can there really be so few?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Place names, can there really be so few?

It often strikes me how many places in South Africa have the same name. We have a Middelburg in Mpumalanga, and a Middelburg somewhere in the cape. Likewise, there are two towns called Parys, both situated in the Free State.

Another favorite seems to be Seekoeigat. This country must have been really teeming with Hippos when the naming of these little towns was being done. Then there are the rivers. Has anyone ever tried to count how many Olifants rivers we’ve got?
I know of at least two Crocodile rivers, one that starts just before the Hartebeespoortdam and flows north, and the other that runs south of the Kruger Park.

When I recently told someone that I had ridden Oukloof pass, he asked me which of the three it was that I had done.

My biggest surprise came tonight though, when looking through my map book I find, to my surprise, that even the mountains are not exempt. In the Northern Cape, to the North of Olifantshoek, there lies the Korannaberg. And, would you believe, in the Free State just to the West of Clocolan, lies the Korannaberg.