Baviaanskloof "The Wrong Way Round"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TS Junky

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Baviaanskloof – April 2010

“The Wrong Way Round”

So we decided to do Baviaanskloof.  Captain Cook, MX Junky, myself (2Smoker) and my bud Adrian from Midrand.

The bikes:  KLE500, XR650, KTM200 and CRM250AR.

The Plan:  ;) ;) ;)

Day 1: Tow bikes from CT/JHB to Willowmore.  Leave cars at Willowmore camp site (Finchley) and ride 45km’s to Doringkloof.  This is an easy ride. 

Day 2: Have breakfast.  Organise to ride the 4x4 trail to Kareewdouw (cost R80 per bike).  Have lunch in Kareewdouw.  Ride back to Doringkloof and camp for the night. 

Day 3:  Breakfast at Doringkloof.  Ride to Patensie (lunch).  Ride to Steytlerville.  Camp at Steylerville (to be finalised)

Day 4: Ride T2 circular route back to Steytlerville.  Have lunch.  Ride T3 route to Willowmore.  Camp at Willowmore (Finchley) where the cars are parked.

Day 5: Drive home

The Result:  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Day 1:  Nice drive from CT to Willowmore.  Fantastic ride to Doringkloof.  A wonderful campsite and our hostess Adele was absolutely great.

DSCF2211.jpg

100_0015-1.jpg

DSCF2264.jpg

Day 2:

This is where it all went wrong!  We were told the 4x4 route is not difficult for smaller bikes hence we were keen to do this ride and get back to camp the same day.  First mistake; we took the wrong route and spend a good two hours riding another short 4x4 route that was circular. 

DSCN1233.jpg

Finally we found the correct route, but by that time it was 10am and getting hot!

DSCF2299.jpg

But we thought no problem, we can do this.  The first 30k’s were not too difficult and the riding was great; so was the scenery.

SV400007Resized.jpg

SV400026Resized.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

DSCN1244.jpg

Motivation levels were still high.  But all of a sudden we faced another challenge – Captain Cook off the path and the KLE front wheel punctured.

DSCF2319.jpg

DSCF2324.jpg

DSCF2323.jpg

100_0038-1.jpg

We destroyed our spare tube in the process of trying to fix the puncture but luckily we had a second spare tube and after two hours we were back on the road.  By now it was around 2pm and very hot.  Our water was running out at a quick rate.

The roads were getting progressively worse and progress was very slow indeed.

DSCN1251.jpg

DSCF2341.jpg

MX Junky decided he could not go on and it was time to call Helivac!  However with no cell phone reception this was not to be.  We had only covered about half the distance and time was ticking…

DSCN1252.jpg

DSCN1255.jpg

And so we kept going.  Tempers were starting to flare up and thirst was creeping in. 

We found a rest place with a dam.  So we thought we could purify some water but Adrian discovered he forgot to bring the purification tablets.

DSCF2338.jpg

Eventually we got through and started searching for water at the deserted farms – no luck.

DSCN1257.jpg

By the time we reached Kareedouw, it was 6pm.  We had planned to return to Dooringkloof via the same route but that would be impossible.

DSCN1260.jpg

And so we decided to attempt the tar stretch back to Willowmore via Uniondale – about 200km’s.  We realized the KTM200 was not tuned for such road riding but felt we had no choice.

Lo and behold, after about 80km’s, the KTM seizes its bottom end bearing!!  The disappointment very evident in my demeanor, since I thought this would be the end of the trip and felt terrible for my good bud Adrian.

DSCN1262-1.jpg

We decided to put the KTM on tow, Captain Cook with the KLE having the honors’.

DSCN1264.jpg

After another 50k’s or so, a classic Karoo storm was brewing.  Pitch black clouds and we were expecting the worst.  Also darkness was almost upon us and to make things worse MX Junky’s front light would not work.  Fuel was running very low.  We did not even stop to take a pic of the storm as every second was now important.  Eventually we made it to Uniondale; wet, tired, stressed and starving.  By now it was around 9pm.

DSCF2344.jpg

With no place to stay, we managed to organize lodging at the local Backpackers.  The owner was kind enough to make us something to eat, very basic but the best meal ever…

100_0051-1.jpg

DSCF2364.jpg

We all slept together in one room as this was the only space available.

SV400027Resized.jpg

The next day we could hardly believe the sequence of events and comedy of errors the day before.  We decided that we will tow Adrian’s KTM back to Willowmore and then return to Dooringkloof campsite with Adrian as pillion on Captain Cook’s bike.

DSCF2368.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

On the way to Doringkloof I went on ahead to take some pics.  Captain Cook did not see me trying to slow him down and he plus pillion hit the water crossing at quite a speed…

DSCF2376.jpg

We camped for two more nights at Doringkloof and went for outrides; sharing the bikes.  The following two days turned out to be great and we still managed to see some of the beautiful Baviaanskloof, albeit we never got passed the day 2 agenda.

100_0069-1.jpg

DSCN1219.jpg

DSCF2380.jpg

100_0062.jpg

100_0031.jpg

DSCF2405.jpg

And so after a good few laughs we realize what could have been a disaster has turned out to be an adventure of a lifetime.  We named it “The Wrong Way Round”

DSCF2421.jpg

DSCN1344.jpg

Dinner at the Royal Hotel in Willowmore before going home the next day

100_0091-1.jpg