Archie's KTM 450 EXC thread - She's an ongoing project...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archangel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Bike Info

Date bought: 2010-10-17
Paid R20k

Year: 2004
Km's/hours: know one knows. I've fitted a Trail Tech Vapor Unit to track my own (and future) use. Will do a write up on the installation soon. Should also include a review as I've had it for about a month. Cost R1150 from www.renz.co.za.

Known issues at the time of purchase:
Rear wheel is in pretty bad condition. Hub cracked and 3 spokes missing.
Engine sounds a bit clunky (timing chain expected to be the culprit), but goes like the wind!
Kick starter missing. Not too much of an problem as the E-start works well. Can be pushed when needed, but this could be an issue in sand.
Paint and plastics are a bit worse for wear. This is a toy, she'll go in the bush, fall often etc, so aesthetics is not important at all.

Some more issues picked up in the mean time:
Clutch slave cylinder died. This issues was fixed by just replacing the piston o-ring. I've done this on the 950 before, so it wen't pretty quickly.

There is a small crack in the front of the frame. This was probably because of the abuse I've put her through in the quarry  :eek: Luckily I've picked it up early enough and a simple weld should suffice.

Current status...

154260_466768561603_531181603_6195445_2333968_n.jpg

The new rear hub, spokes and nipples:

76408_465091711603_531181603_6176577_3464042_n.jpg

The Talon Billet Hub (Supplied by Adventure MX) came complete with bearings and end caps. Cost R3200. OEM part goes for around R2500, but I don't want to sit with another cracked hub somewhere down the line. Spokes and Nipples cost R1250.

The sprocket and brake disc isn't looking too great either, but I can't afford to replace them right now, so I'll milk them for a while. Plus, I'm not doing any long trips, so if things really go south, I'll be close enough to home to make a plan. I'm also reusing the rim to save on costs, as it's still in functional condition.

I know this is info in shambles, but I'll organize the work and info as well as supplement them with more pics as soon as I have some more time.

The plan is to get this bike roadworthy. She's currently licensed and road registered in my name.

Stay tuned for the next episode...  :biggrin: