Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Another DRZ and other 450cc question  (Read 672 times)

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Another DRZ and other 450cc question
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:44:57 am »
Myself and a friend are contemplating getting 450cc bikes. I'm partial to the DRZ because of the longer service intervals but my friend's quite keen on the racier 450cc i.e. WR/CRF/KTM etc. I was hoping someone here could tell me what sort of valves the DRZ use? Bucket & shim? And the other 450cc? How often do they need to be checked? Thanks
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:35:01 am »
Under bucket shims for the DRZ. It does take longer to adjust the valves as you need to remove the camshafts. But honestly you can't even compare the maintenance schedule of a DRZ to a CRF etc. The DRZ is heavier, slower and has weaker suspension but it will take the abuse and need very little tlc. It's like a modern XR 400.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

shark_za

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:01:13 am »
I've never heard of a DRZ giving issues with valves.
Adjust them every 10000km or something and you are good to go.

The 4T competition bikes are another story.
Check valves every 20 hours, big issues with CRF titanium valves, lots of failures noted.
WR's are better, I think they use steel valves for reliability. Still need regular checking, when they start going it a quick decline.

If you want a bike for playing around that will drill the 450 competition bikes, get a 300 2T.
More torque than you need and explosive power. 2T cheaper to maintain as well.  No valves to check, only schlep is mixing 2T oil.
It rocks in every other respect.

shark_za

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:05:26 am »
The DRZ is on par with the 200cc bikes like the KDX.
The 450's are a LOT more powerfull. But you dont need this power, it normally just causes wheelspin.
And weight, the DRZ is like 130kg, vs 110 for the others, 20kg makes a difference in "flickability"

2T's generally run about 100-105kg.

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 05:56:10 pm »
Cor blimey guv, you guys are like walking encyclopedias! We want to use the bikes on our Kaokoland trip later this year. The bikes will see very little tar in the process and we'll be doing quite a lot of sand riding. Initially I was convinced that the KLR would be the right bike but at the moment I'm a bit put off with what needs to be done before the bike is good to go - different pegs, rear brake cylinder guard, radiator guard, handguards, loctite everything, replacement subframe bolts, different handlebars (I'm 2.03m tall). Hence why I'm wondering whether the 450 bikes wouldn't be a better option straight out of the box. Mmm, decisions, decisions!
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 06:18:52 pm »
If it's a long trip forget about 450's and 2 t's. If the terrain is rough just put a big tank on a DRZ and protection for the cases. Valves wont be an issue and it takes 1.8 l of oil compared to 600ml on a 450. If you are paying arond the camp the mx bikes will be fine but certainly not suited for cross country touring.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline MuttsNutts

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse Adve
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 06:24:27 pm »
Be careful of the high revving 4 strokes, the maintainance is a issue and costs a lot in the long run, If you must WR is much cheaper to maintain than some of the competition