KTM 990Adv vs BMW F800GS vs whatever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willehond

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Tha Dogs opinions - Tall order:

I am going to have to travel 900km every weekend ( 450 Fridays, 450 Sundays ). This is due to my job situation and could continue for years. No pillion, but luggage. The type of riding would include roughly equal amounts of: congested highway, highway and busy, twisty, potholed, (mountain) country roads full of big trucks, taxis, animals, pedestrians.

I am 1.65m, 76kg without riding kit.

I would like a bike, which can handle all the above, plus fulfill the role of a good DS bike. The distance involved and power required to overtake, precludes the use of a single IMO. I prefer light, powerful, maneuverable, with a reasonable level of comfort.

I have done a bit of homework and have read the threads on the 990/950 and the 800GS. Concerns: KTM - running costs of 990 ( services, parts, etc. ) BMW - Poor, non adjustable front fork / suspension on 800GS, fuel pumps, oil sweating, etc. etc. Does anyone know, whether the suspension has been sorted on the 2011 model?

NB. I prefer to only see the dealer for normal servicing, not troubleshooting. By that time, I am not interested in nice service, nor fancy coffee! ( I am miles away from dealers, so it is a serious inconvenience anyway )

Any info, advice would be welcome.