Swazi Solitude

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Uncle Bob

After turning down invites to both the cricket and the rugby this weekend (GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!) and a last minute invite to Countrytrax(Thanks H) and some other invites, i packed my panniers and headed towards the Lowveld.

Friday was spent doing some low flying to Nelspruit, i stopped at milly's just to strech my legs and noted that my left boot was exeptionally dirty - infact it had oil on it, checking arount the bike i saw that the left underside of the bike was VERY splattered with oil, yet the oil level was if anything overfull.

I rode to Nelspruit and watched the cricket at the local O'Hagans and had far to many Guinness in celebration of our solid thumping of that other team!!

Saturday morning was spent running around getting food supplies and sorting the bike out. The okes at NJW(?) were very kind and suggested i wash the oil off and just keep an eye on it, there is a Motorrad dealer in Mbabane should i nead one, so of to Baberton for some brekkie and then to Josefsdal Border Post.
RoadtoJosefsdal.jpg

DirtyPhumbaa.jpg

The veiws around here are just awesome, and so is this road, they will be tarring it soon and i suggest you go ride this A.S.A.P (Nice detour down to oshoek as well)

Swazi-SAmountains.jpg

The Hero of this story, striking the appropriate pose.
EntrepidAdventurer.jpg

Border formalities were quick - hell i was the only person there.

I soon found myself on this amazing mountain pass forset section just outside Piggs Peak.

Beautifullforestpass.jpg

What a sexy Beast!!
Handsomebeast.jpg

I rode around pretty randomly for a couple of hours.
This didn't really help.
mapinsleeve.jpg

Eventually ended up at Malolotja game reserve, very friendly people, nice camping and quite happy to let biker trash in.

Littlepieceofheaven.jpg

Our hero again(with apropriate pose) looking quite chuffed with his camp setup
Entrepidadventurer2.jpg

Then things got interresting.
The MOTHU of all thunder storms pulled in and i realised i need to start a fire NOW if i want any chance of having a cooked steak for dinner.

Things are looking bleak for our hero.
thingsarelookingbleakforourhero.jpg

Well the storm only lasted a short while and my fire luckily made it, i did have to find some interresting ways to get the remaining wood dry though.

Braai wood.
Braaiwood.jpg

Sunday was....

Interresting, the fog was so thick i could hardly see 5m ahead of me and the roads looked like this
Muddyroads.jpg

So all energy was spent keeping Phumbaa upright and dodging crazed swazi drivers with no lights in thick fog.

I visited some good friends in middleburg and flew home.

What about the oil leak i hear you ask - well it came back and i am now on my way to take the bike to be reapaired, luckily she didn't loose too much oil.

oilleak1.jpg

oilleak2.jpg

Some things i learnt from this trip.

Always take 2 lighters( mine got wet so i couldn't make coffee on sunday morning)
Always take a warm top, the unexpected weather change made it moer cold and riding jackets are uncomfy to sleep in.
Swazi roads are not marked well, but loads of fun to ride.

Ave. Speed 74,5 Km/H
Ave. fuel cons. 5.8 L/100KM

Ave Amount of fun - 8.5 on the grin-o-meter(the rain dampened my spirit a bit)