800 GS CUTTING OUT Now added. Cheap solution found!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee eS

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Yesterday the 800 started cutting out on the ride to Potch. At first it gave a few jerks and then it just cut out completely with the throttle open and died. at first it would not start up and after a few minutes we heard what sounded like some sort of electric motor resetting and then it started right up. I then discoverred that when it cuts out  and I close the throttle immediately it would keep on idling and if I waited a few seconds I could then pull away under almost full throttle and change up at high revs without it cutting out. As soon as I decelerated or stopped it would cut out upon acceleration and then I had to let it Idle again for a few seconds. I did this without stopping and just pulled the clutch in on the move. After lunch it seemed ok and I filled up to get some cold fuel in the tank hoping that the heat may have been a problem. It only took R50-00 worth on 95 octane so it was definitely not a lack of fuel in the tank. On the way home everything went well for about 40 K's when it started cutting out again while riding at a constant speed and the only way to keep it going was to ride with a wide open throttle.
The total time for the trip until it started was about 2 1/2 hours including stopping to fix a flat on another bike. The bike was in the sun for the whole time. To me it looks like this problem is caused by riding for for a couple of hours in reasonably warm weather (I saw 31 on my temp gauge).
I commute with the bike very day and recently saw 34 degrees and did not have any problems, but my commute is rarely longer than 45 minutes.
This is the second time that this has happened and the last time BMW reset the fuel pump. I do not think that is the solution as this was the first long run in warm weather since the reset. The first time it happened the temperature was also in the mid thirty's while coming back from the Bosvark Bash. The bike has 31000+ Km's on the clock
Has anyone had similar problems and how was it fixed?
Any serious suggestions will be welcome.
PS. The bike is three months out of warranty so the cost will be for my own pocket :dousing:
I have also read the ADV and other forums regarding this problem without any joy.