BMW 650 GS vs Kawasaki KLR650 vs Kawa KLE 500 as a commuter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfinnigan

Puppy
Reaction score
Hi, guys.

I'm a non-rider who is starting to think really hard about getting a bike, almost exclusively for weekday commuting to save wear and tear on my car. I've been looking mostly at the two Kawasakis (looking as in reading up on, not as in actually physically kicking the tyres ;) ). However, I've also now been paying attention to the 650 GS as a possible bike, even though I once swore I'd never own a BMW... heh.

I'm 6'4" and weigh around 105kgs, so will need a reasonably sized bike I guess. From what I can see all three of the above bikes fit this, they all have similar top power ratings, but the BMW generates the most torque. It also has the lowest seat height, which I imagine translates to the most upright seating position.

Can anyone who owns or has owned one of these bikes comment on them? I'm utterly clueless and haven't even taken the decision to buy a bike yet, but when I do it will be second hand and hopefully one I'll be able to hang onto for a couple of years at least without getting shafted by repair costs and running costs - I'm not interested in speed or having the latest and best bike out there; if I get one I want it to be safe (well, as safe as a bike can be ;) ) and reliable.

thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong place :)
McF