LADY RIDERS / NEW RIDERS (RIDING THE WRONG BIKE)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badseed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
The growth of adventure / dual sport riding in recent years has been fantastic , old mx'ers / enduro riders , roadies who've seen the light and especialy new guys and girls riding for the first time. Sadly for every new recruit there are ten plokers spewing useless /dangerous advise as well as greedy bike dealers out there for the short term buck. I hate picking on one but BMW dealers take a step forward. How the hell can you sell an 800 twin or big heavy 650 monster to a new rider or lady? It's almost criminal , certainly immoral and definitely dangerous. I've even seen you putting ladies and inexperienced riders on 1200's (wow). The rest of the dealers aren't any better. KTM 640's , DR650's , KLR650's ,XT660's /1200's are all bikes for experienced pilots.

Every ride I've been on with lady friends and inexperienced guys it's so obvious they're petrified of the bikes as soon we hit the dirt and sand , even though everybodys ful of bravado at the after ride lunch. The only way to learn is get smaller manageble bikes , build up skills and confidence while enjoying yourself. These big bikes are to powerful and dangerous and people are either going to get seriously hurt or just leave the sport again. When I started riding in the seventies only the real  'manne' road beasts like XR & XT500's (with 30hp weighing 120kgs). Now new riders get 100hp and 200kgs. -madness.

So what should they ride? How about a KLX or XR250. Lightweight, nimble, easy handlig , more than. enough power and able to cruise at 120kph . Perfect.

Lets pack the ego away and ride the bikes we'll realy enjoy riding. Maybe oneday we'll have skills and experience to ove up to bigger things.  (how many of us big boys on 990's / 1200's will beable to catch Marc Coma on his 450 even on a fairly open dirt road never mind a desert track?

If you care about and want whats best for espcialy our lady riders think obout the advise you hand out.