Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa our way !! ( Complete...... or is it? )  (Read 43246 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Re: Africa our way !!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 03:30:00 pm »
It is a good time to make mention that when we were packing we decided that we would be allowed a max of 3 luxury items.. the 3 things that we could take would be considered to be something we could do without but what the hell.. lets treat ourselves.. in the pic above you can see one of our items we decided to take.. chairs, there is nothing more kuk than perching on a rock all night, it can be noted that mine has a built in cooler box - woo hoo, the second luxuary good was a decent blow up mattress, there was just no way I was going to ride ride ride and then at night have a kuk nights sleep, the mattress is heavy, bulky and needs a pump which takes up more space but I can tell you , it was heaven and well appreciated as the trip went on.

I cant remember the other luxury item I took, I know that Wayne took coffee and a coffee pot.. dont mess with coffee in the morning. I will chat later about how we stripped gear on the bikes as we went, the weather had a lot to do with this.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline TheAnt

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »
Keep them coming! Cant wait for the rest...

Offline espresso

• Bike: Mars (all models)
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 07:00:56 pm »
Woo hoo subscribe  :)

Offline Drifter

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 09:07:04 pm »
subscribed....from one ex Zim to another

Offline madmike999

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • www.studio88.co.za info@studio88.co.za
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 09:51:51 pm »
'82 R100 RS,  '98 Africa Twin,  Vespa 180 Rally

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »
Keep them coming! Cant wait for the rest...

+1000 Don`t stop now !
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 08:42:18 am »
Looks like you are leaving home with all that stuff...

There aren't many oke's that wouldn't give their left nut to embark on such a trip.

We wait with eagerness to share in your exploration and African adventures.

Subscribe!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, WR450 Rallye, KTM990 Adv, HP2, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • East London
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 09:16:04 am »
 :thumleft:
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Poenjas

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 02:12:26 pm »
 :happy1: :happy1:
Hou vas! Pappa gaan vinnig ry!

Offline Johnnie Bok

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Caledonner
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 04:06:54 pm »
Wanneer kom die opvolg op die storie?
Hard work always beats talent, unless talent works.

Offline BabyBeemer

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2010, 04:28:34 pm »
 :lurk: Sounds promising - can't wait for more.

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »
Whow ............... a serious RR is coming up .......... :thumleft:
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 12:23:14 pm »
I will post the next installment asap.. in hindsight I should have posted this rr sooner, sorting through the photos and getting everything in order is a task and a half.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 12:42:47 pm »
I am not sure what to expect on this trip, you experience so many mixed emotions, are you ready for whatever it is going to throw at you. Every km you travel is one km further away from home. At least we are still in SA and it is only day 2.. I convince myself that the guys who leave from JHB on trips like this are still further north than we are and that for the time being gives me a little comfort.

I am not sure if it is a change in mental attitude, or the fact that there is nothing bogging down your mind like work and family commitments but for some reason the sky always looks better when you go on these trips.

Wayne showing what he thinks of the trip so far

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 12:52:32 pm »
We were still waiting for AMrtin to leave CT, this was not a massive concern for us just yet as we know he can chew up Km catching up but never the less it was a topic for conversation as we headed towards Springbok. and indeed again when we were in Springbok, do we continue up into Nam crossing the border before he has even left or do we take a bit of a detour.. hmm, what to do.

In the end we decided to head for pofadder, at least then we had a choice of where we wanted to cross over and it would chew up some hours. Once in Pofadder we could not find a nice place to setup camp so we indulged in spoiling ourselves by finding an awesome B & B called Vra veer.. if I remember correctly. Run by a husband and wife, they really bent over backwards to make us feel at home. I honestly recommend this place !

After a rest, a good nights sleep and a cuppa coffee it was decision time again.. which way ! Martins no show was starting to give way to more than a little frustration and we could'nt waste any more time taking unnessary detours, it was wasting time and eating budget, so it was back to Springbok and up into Nam for us !! lets hit it.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 12:58:23 pm »

Offline neil123

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 01:00:33 pm »
 :drif:
XT 500
KLR 650
BMW 1150 ADV

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 01:06:13 pm »
This is it.. we were heading out of SA ! somehow the crossing made it real, it was my 1st time in Nam.. I was thinking of the 100's of okes who travelled from SA into Nam every year to 4 x 4 etc, I felt like a novice but I could not contain my excited feeling... I was getting country 1 of 11.. fantastic !! everyone was very friendly at the border, we had heard a lot of stories about border crossings further up into Africa, what a nightmare they can be, but for now it was smooth sailing !!

We were heading up towards Rosh Pinah and I had no idea what to expect, the name sounded quite cool !! I confess that by this time I was really getting tired of tar, enough already, I had seen pics of Nam.. I had seen the sand. Our sand riding to date left something to be desired and I anticipated a few hard days of slogging through sand but for me it could not come quickly enough !! I wanted to experience it.

The thought was hardly through my head and I saw a sign !! WOOOOO HOOO, now that is what I am talking about !! what a sign.

Whatever dude..

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:08:00 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »

Offline Johnnie Bok

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Caledonner
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 01:19:55 pm »
Gooi hom!
Hard work always beats talent, unless talent works.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 01:22:01 pm »
NOTHING and I mean nothing prepares you for what comes next ! I was blown away by Namibia already and we were just a few km into the ride.. it is simply spectacular. For those of you who have never ventured into Nam, just do it !! It turns out a year later we did a 10 day trip through Namibia again, you can read Wayne's rr that he is busy posting now.. you will find out why it was called The Revenge of Namibia.

I was amazed with the landscape, I loved the roads, it was so much fun to ride ! The bikes were still feeling a little heavy and it was our 1st taste of gravel, thankfully it was not too technical because it gave us enough time to adjust and gain our confidence.. and one thing I learnt on this trip, confidence counts for a lot !

It took a while to figure out why the local squatter camp was all built of grass, but with the heat of the day hitting well above 30 degrees it soon became a case of.. why does'nt everyone do that, then I thought of the CT wind !!

Simply amazing, I was having so much fun !