Venda --- Lake Fundudzi --The Sacred Forest --

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Its been a couple of years since i was last up Venda way --Thinking about it started a yearning deep inside of me to return to a place i have visited many times in the past --somehow time goes by--life happens and before one knows it --fond memories have too soon vanished--

It was time to revisit Venda and refresh thes once so fond memories.
Last minute i decided to visit it with a friend and see what i have missed.

Some history of the Lake -- Fundudzi--

The enchanted body of water known as Lake Fundudzi is a sacred lake of the Venda people that lies in the heart of the Soutpansberg and is one of the few true inland lake systems in South Africa.

Lake Fundudzi can be found on the R523 between Thohoyandou and Louis Trichardt, surrounded by the mythical Thathe Vondo forest - so full of spirits that few Venda people venture into it for fear of hauntings and a lightning bird called Ndadzi. Trips to the lake shore are traditionally rarely granted visitors, which is probably just as well as it is said to be infested with crocodiles. So sacred is the lake that newcomers must turn their backs on the lake and view the water from between their legs, according to the ritual after which the lake is named. Fortunately, one of the most spectacular views of the sacred lake is found on the approach in the surrounding mountains, so visitors don’t have to lose out.

The lake has no obvious outlet and is formed from water off the Mutale River, where a giant python god of fertility is said to reside. He demands an annual sacrifice of a maiden every year, and the ritual domba dance - part of the initiation rites of young women - can be viewed by getting permission from the local custodians of the lake known as the ‘people of the pool’.

The respect for the lake and the taboos that disallowed visits have meant that the lake has survived in quite good condition, although long-held traditions are not sustained with quite the same authority as before and general lack of regard is fast leading to the lake’s general erosion. Deforestation, agriculture and development are causing the lake to silt up, although a local project is busy rehabilitating the area.

The road to the Lake --

Some of the roads ridden --

And as most of you know--- i have a thing for service roads and Railway tracks -- ::)

We also took a walk to the Bushman's Cave of years gone by  :mwink: Was a very long walk 4 hours--

The View from the Cave --- What stories thes rocks could tell --if only they could speak of a time once past --

The view from my Bungalow-- How small one feels in Nature ----

The Venda homes ----

In some areas we met children who had never seen a motorcycle yet ---was sad to see ----

And Sunday morning the Heavens opened up to erase all trace of where we had riddwn the previous 2 days --as if we were never there--

Will be going back shortly and taking a group with --to share this wonderful and nearly forgotten area..

Hope you enjoyed some of the Pic's

I just fell in love with the place all over again ----