Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why we should be MORE alert Than D##ses in cages  (Read 708 times)

Kev

Why we should be MORE alert Than D##ses in cages
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:20 am »
I think they were both at fault there. From what I can see, it looks like the the bike was in the cars blind spot. Also, a clue for the biker: that car wanted to overtake... he should have been more prepared for it. The car should have checked his rear better, thats for sure. But in my opinion, the biker could have avoided this. Shame really.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:22:45 am »
Now that's what you get for riding a Suzuki  :twisted:

(Sorry, DD :D )
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:26:03 am »
Haven't read the article yet, but here's the short answer:

I can get hurt more on a bike than what a guy in a cage will if we 'meet by accident'.

So even though I feel they are wrong most of the time, I'll simply be thinking more to hurt less...

Same principle (but reversed) with the taxis on the N1 - they feel less for their vehicles than what you do for yours. So they make the move where they will hit (or scrape) your car and you (not wanting a damaged car) just gives way.

W.
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:42:48 am »
Just checked the video.

The car wasn't right in the sense that he didn't indicate or look.
But you could see from the car's body language before the time that he was gonna do an erratic pass at some point.

I would have just stayed back a little to see what happens with the car...
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:33:19 am »
yeah no indicator, no looking. completely ignorant.

i think the bike could have maybe come from further back and made a wider pass, but watching the video a few times, there's not much he could have done.

there's an excellent article in the march (i think, could be feb) topBike on overtaking and how best to be spotted and stay safe (ish)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:34:35 pm »
This is an extract from an article on the BMW motrrad site. A rider was involved in an accident. While passing a cage, the cage turned without indicating :roll:  and this was part of his analisys of what should have happened.

I don't agree on some points, but you judge.

Take steps every time to make sure you have been seen by the driver about to be passed. This is tiresome and easier said than done but in order to save oneself from this sort of fate one has to find a process that works. I am now working on a passing protocol that runs something like this:
Approach and stay behind the vehicle for a while and study both the space ahead and the driver to first confirm whether he is looking around and in his mirrors thus leading to a reasonable conclusion that you have been noticed, or despite a lack of signal from him, he may be looking for his turnoff anyway.
Light onto main beam during this pause(switching your lights to bright will already piss me off), shoulder check and signal before moving out. Develop a ''squint'' meaning keep any eye on the space ahead and the driver (both his head and face in his mirror).
Give a polite ''toot-toot'' on the hooter (first you flash your lights at me now your hooting?)at the point of entry into the vehicles length along the road, which is usually your point of entry into his ''blind-spot'' (and once safely past a cheery wave to escape the road-rage bullet in the head!). NB - not a heavy hoot but a ''toot''!!
Do not push past too aggressively on the throttle (On the bike I want to get past a cage before he has time to react)but find the right balance between being hard on the throttle and too long in that confined space that arises.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 12:49:57 pm »
I also agree up to the 'light onto high beam' bit.

I generally glide in behind the car a little towards his center.

Most of the time he then notices me.
If I approach from behind very close to the middle line I could be in his blind spot.

And again - it comes down to this for me:

I can be hurt plenty, so I won't die trying to prove a point if the other guy is wrong.

I'll 'maar' be the lesser guy and fall behind a little while checking out everything still.

I'd rather be red under the collar than have my red on the road...

And if the coast is clear and I pass? Get the hell out of the way of the cager as quickly as possible. Throttle locked all the way open and staying there 'till I come back into the normal lane again - ain't no way I'm gonna be in the oncoming traffic lane next to a cager and NOT give the mill all the juice it can have.

W.

Offline Nico

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:24:45 pm »
Actually, you can see the dude's indicator just before he overtakes, also he was right on the ass of the car in front of him, and once he moved the guy on the bike had a wee bit of time, and some real estate to manouvre. Not much, but a bit.

masehare

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:24:15 pm »
Well we can all learn from this video:

1. Make sure the guy in front knows about you before you overtake.
2. If you see the guy in front of you is also driving as fast and agressive as you are, expect him to take the first gap he can.
3. While passing the car, expect him to turn in front of you or force you off the road - if prepared, it may make your reactions a bit quicker.
4. :twisted: TROLL: Think about the typical Seat driver. Young, agressive, point-to-prove, etc... You'll then think twice about where you want to overtake him.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:31:48 pm »
+1

:thumbup:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 09:25:40 pm »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"
Now that's what you get for riding a Suzuki  :twisted:

(Sorry, DD :D )

:evil:

I bet he just picked the Gixxer up and wheelied away from the scene, They are strong.

:D
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 07:29:28 am »
Quote from: "digitaldan"
I bet he just picked the Gixxer up and wheelied away from the scene, They are moer of a strong.

:D

I don't think that gixxer was going anywhere after that...
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline growweblaar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 09:37:32 am »
Anyone who films his own speedometer is gonna be down soon, again.