Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: *40 Days* KARK SERVICE (Thread title changed!)  (Read 1807 times)

terminator1

Re: broken. utterly broken.
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 02:44:33 pm »
drinks tonight?

leaving early tomm. See you Jan - have a good one!  :thumleft:

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »
enjoy
Boys will be Boys.
And girls are darn thankful for that

Offline TornadoF5

• Limited Edition®
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • He who never dreams, sleeps his life away
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2010, 02:52:57 pm »
I'm keen Thump can u make it to George...?

Always outnumbered, but NEVER outgunned.....

terminator1

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 07:05:29 am »
one month and one day, and counting. amazing.

Offline >>Thump°C

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 07:28:23 am »
Welcome back
Boys will be Boys.

Offline Beagle Boy

• Big Time Beagle (167-671)
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 08:23:39 am »
15 days to diagnose a faulty thermostat on an overheating bike?

::)

Not too bad...BMW have had Smithey's bike for over 4 months and still can't find the problem.... :peepwall: :biggrin:

Obviously ...... there's nothing wrong  :eek7:

:imaposer:

Offline TornadoF5

• Limited Edition®
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • He who never dreams, sleeps his life away
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:28 am »
mine too, took the collective of 3 months to order parts and the lies, eventually had to contact the CEO of KTM SA.
Sad actually, as such nice bikes, but let down by the proverbial poor service. Some Agents like KTM george, CT seem to get it right and I know Brenton in his power tries real hard, but I think they also battle with the Austrian mothership at times.

Remember this thread started by Bakkie opened up a seriaas can of worms icw KTM http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=39799.0

Always outnumbered, but NEVER outgunned.....

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 12:15:18 pm »
Does the problem lie with your thermostat which controls the flow of coolant through your engine, or the thermoswitch, which activates your cooling fan?
The thermostat can be left out for a short period of time like in this case, longer term it is very important to have one. The fan you can gippo through a switch, cutting out the radiator switch. The thermostat is situated on the rightside of the cylinderhead, the thermoswitch[or fanswitch] sits on the bottom rear of the righthand radiator.

Provocateur

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 12:21:48 pm »
Does the problem lie with your thermostat which controls the flow of coolant through your engine, or the thermoswitch, which activates your cooling fan?
The thermostat can be left out for a short period of time like in this case, longer term it is very important to have one. The fan you can gippo through a switch, cutting out the radiator switch. The thermostat is situated on the rightside of the cylinderhead, the thermoswitch[or fanswitch] sits on the bottom rear of the righthand radiator.
The thermostat also acts as a flow limiter to reduce the flow through the engine (I am speaking of cage engines here - I have never seen a bike thermostat, so maybe I am talking through my hat).  If this is the case, remove the guts of the thermostat and replace the plate to reduce the flow through the radiator and allow enough residence time in the rad to ensure cooling.

terminator1

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »
35 days...

terminator1

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

It's the thermostat. I already by-passed the fan switch.

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Re: *34 Days* Broken. utterly broken.
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 12:33:27 pm »
Tik Tok, Tik Tok...

Next time, consider DIY.  :thumleft:

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:48 pm »
why do ktm's break so much?  is it because they're trying to be too clever and on the leading edge of technology all the time.  if so, then they need to look at the formula one guys and what they make engines out of.  but then no one would be able to afford one.  

surely you have to, as a must, engineer some latency (not fully tuned to the max) into an engine so that it lasts years of relative abuse by enthusiastic users?   the japs seem to get this

it's as if the blokes at ktm haven't worked out what the different engine components strengths need to be before they break, and if they have, then they haven't told the other half at the factory what paramaters they need to design within.  

is ktm a company of two halves, wickedly clever engineers who come up with incredible engines on paper vs the engineers in the factory who have to figure out how to build the engine with affordable materials when they should be using space age stuff?

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:39:46 pm by SnakeyXT »

terminator1

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »
Tik Tok, Tik Tok...

Next time, consider DIY.  :thumleft:

yep  :thumleft:

terminator1

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 12:58:02 pm »
Ja, I don't want to revive the flaming match on that other thread, Tornado. It's hard for me to criticize Automotorcycles, As I like Brenton and Aiden very much. I don't think they are the problem or have any real means to influence a positive change. Or I could be wrong...

Bottom line is that my bike went in 35 days ago, and is still rotting in the back of a container with all the fairing off.
4 phone calls this week, with no returned call yet.

AND...Brenton now works across the road at Honda as well as his duties at AMC
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:59:34 pm by J-dog »

Offline >>Thump°C

Re: *34 Days* KARK SERVICE (Thread title changed!)
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
Shout if you get very desperate and need my assistance.

I need a good larf again
Boys will be Boys.

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 01:10:20 pm »
thats fuck all, my 690 has been at KTM Cape Town since the 18th of July.... 34 days is f all >.<
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 01:33:25 pm »
thats fuck all, my 690 has been at KTM Cape Town since the 18th of July.... 34 days is f all >.<

They probably don't want to give it back to you because they know how you fark bikes up..... :peepwall: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously guys, KTM in SA has a problem, IMO KTM SA needs to carry a bigger variety of spares, and this is where the problem starts, in the very near future all the KTM dealers will be required to carry their own spares, no 'pool' to draw from anymore in the form of KTM SA, now I ask you, which dealer can afford to carry a comprehensive list of spares for all KTM models? Not one IMO, Why this is happening I don't know!
The next issue will be - you go into a dealer looking for a part, they don't have it but offer to ship it in for you, you then decide you don't want to wait, or don't want to pay the perceived high mark-ups of local dealers, you import the part yourself, as so many guys here like to do.....next thing the dealer folds from lack of local support, then you have another problem....no KTM dealer in your town.....if your bike is under warranty you now have to travel far to have it serviced.....
IMO we should all give the dealers a chance to settle into this new format, and support them as best we can, they appear to be in a 'transition' stage, which is going to be very difficult at first, but from the enthusiasm for the product that I have winessed recently, they will eventually succeed!

Or we can all buy DR Suzuki's like Veemax..... :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline 777

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 01:43:14 pm »

And now i must buy it LOL!!?
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L., WR450,  bikes, KTM 500 Six Days and BMW 800GS. KTM 790 R

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 01:43:47 pm »

And now i must buy it LOL!!?
well its all sorted now :-p
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/