Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 800 GS's worst nightmare - Tiger 800XC  (Read 7843 times)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
Re: 800 GS's worst nightmare - Tiger 800XC
« Reply #100 on: December 30, 2010, 09:11:05 pm »
FYI

http://www.xt660.com/showthread.php?t=15759

sorry, can't see it without logging in... give us the short version  :deal:

KobusL

« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2010, 09:14:00 pm »
Not much, just one rider's first impressions of the road going version...

Had a chance today to take the new Tiger 800 for a two up test ride. Conditions were pretty poor and the bike was still in the running in period so I was gentle with it.

First impressions then; very low and compact for the genre. A bit too small for me to be honest. The pillion seat was described by my co-pilot as the worst she'd tried. The rider's seat was ok for the hour or so I had the bike. The engine feels light and fresh, happy to rev and not buzzy. It's a good thing it is happy to rev, as you need to keep the revs up in the mid range in order to make progress.

The bike feels long and no doubt the addition of a pillion added to this. Adjustment on the shock is preload only (that I could see) and I wound it in 2/3rd of the way to account for the pillion. The test bike had the Arrow silencer and alloy sump guard fitted from the accessory catalogue; the silencer gave a little rasp to the exhaust note, though most on board sound came from the airbox. The sump guard appeared a little extraneous and was really there it seemed in order to take your eye away from the under-sump catalytic convertor.
There's no getting away from certain design elements which have you believing it has been designed for the road only. The front subframe is welded to the headstock, so an unlucky drop is going to see the frame potenially written off. The same can be said of the pillion pegs. Ok so this was the road going model with cast wheels, but the off-road biased XC version is the same.

I was a bit disappointed in the bike to be honest. I had hoped for something with a bit more grunt to it. There was no denying the bike was smooth to pull from low revs even in a high gear, but it really needed revving to get the most from it. Rumour has it a 1200cc version will be with us mid next year. I will hold on until then.

KobusL

« Reply #102 on: December 30, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »
Goodness!  Whoever wrote that obviously isn't a Brit.    ::)

:imaposer:

Home Country: United Kingdom

Offline chiefengineer

• Bike: Triumph 1050 Tiger
    • Middle-Aged-Crisis-Club
« Reply #103 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:06 pm »
Let me guess, Sir Allan Cathcart isn't British by any chance is he? I mean, I say old chap! As a jolly spiffing Brit, how could he possibly come to any other conclusion. How could he possibly vote in favour of that nasty Jerry contraption? Good heavens man; you really ought to read with more circumspection, I say what, what.

Ofcourse he'll support the Truimph , just like Top Gear guys (My favourite car show) support Jaguar , Mondeo and Austin Martin. Nothing can beat Brithish tech , not even the Nazi Germans with their stupid Merc's , Bmw's , Porche's or BMW BIKES !! They will go to extreme measures to prove that British are still the best and most clever country ................................ in the world !!!  :thumleft:

Er. Gotta disagree there about Top Gear. They certainly don't support the British car maker at all and in fact (quoted in court) contributed to the demise of Rover cars. J.Clarkson drives a Merc, Hammond a Porsche and Captain Slow a Ferrari. I'm British and I know that we can be a bit arsey at times but as a nation we are pretty cynical and that goes for our own industry. We went from having the biggest bike manufacturing base in the world in the 60's to nothing bu mid 70's - we just didn't buy the bikes. Top selling bike in the UK is the BMW - in fact I think that in various guises BMW have four of the top selling bikes in the UK. With regard to the new Triumphs - well they get good write ups because.....they really are good. My wife has a GS650 and I have a Trumpet and I knwo which one has been more reliable and it's not the German one.

Oppad

« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2010, 01:51:04 pm »
The engine feels light and fresh, happy to rev and not buzzy. It's a good thing it is happy to rev, as you need to keep the revs up in the mid range in order to make progress.

It is a triple, aint it? This should probably be a consideration when deciding to get a Triumph or not. On the face of it these look like wonderful bikes and I really like the fact that there is another player in the market - but should a triple be the basis of a true ds bike? Three cylinders is perhaps a good compromise between the low(er)-down torque of a twin and the smoothness of a 4 on a road bike but will it work as well when the going gets slow? The beauty of the midrange thumpers is that one can have useable power from as low as 1800 rpm with no chain snatch or other hiccups. You can open it up from there or it will be happy to potter around at 2000 rpm without clutching, should you find yourself on a single track that demands it. Having said that, the KTM's and the 800 GS all seem to be happier when cleaning their throats in the upper part of the rev range.  Is the Triumph any worse/better or is it simply a non-issue?

Offline Pote

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »
PLEASE no more of this "800 GS's worst nightmare - Tiger 800XC" crap until next year :peepwall:

happy New Year all...

Offline Manna69247

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2010, 05:27:57 pm »
Thought I'll share this, but most people interested in the Tiger 800 probably have seen it on the Tiger 800 forum.

A 1200GS Rider's short view

Enjoy tonight ALL!!! 2011 is cumming! :biggrin:

Drive safe and check the other that don't.  :patch:

Buks

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2010, 09:15:19 pm »
Let me guess, Sir Allan Cathcart isn't British by any chance is he? I mean, I say old chap! As a jolly spiffing Brit, how could he possibly come to any other conclusion. How could he possibly vote in favour of that nasty Jerry contraption? Good heavens man; you really ought to read with more circumspection, I say what, what.

Ofcourse he'll support the Truimph , just like Top Gear guys (My favourite car show) support Jaguar , Mondeo and Austin Martin. Nothing can beat Brithish tech , not even the Nazi Germans with their stupid Merc's , Bmw's , Porche's or BMW BIKES !! They will go to extreme measures to prove that British are still the best and most clever country ................................ in the world !!!  :thumleft:

Er. Gotta disagree there about Top Gear. They certainly don't support the British car maker at all and in fact (quoted in court) contributed to the demise of Rover cars. J.Clarkson drives a Merc, Hammond a Porsche and Captain Slow a Ferrari. I'm British and I know that we can be a bit arsey at times but as a nation we are pretty cynical and that goes for our own industry. We went from having the biggest bike manufacturing base in the world in the 60's to nothing bu mid 70's - we just didn't buy the bikes. Top selling bike in the UK is the BMW - in fact I think that in various guises BMW have four of the top selling bikes in the UK. With regard to the new Triumphs - well they get good write ups because.....they really are good. My wife has a GS650 and I have a Trumpet and I knwo which one has been more reliable and it's not the German one.
Thanks, it's refreshing to read an objective view
for a change! You are obviously not brain washed by BMW!

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2011, 09:10:08 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Transalp is for very old people  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Follow me on Instagram for my photos. www.instagram.com/hein_bence/
Or Facebook www.facebook.com/HeinBencePhotography/

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2011, 07:57:21 am »
 :imaposer:

What a great find IT!  ;D
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2011, 08:10:26 am »
Never ridden a truimph before but this new one has a place in my garage. ;D :biggrin:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline plonker

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2011, 02:45:35 pm »
What Mzee now you trading the Big Ten superliner for a lightweight :ricky:

Offline Tintin

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2011, 04:03:57 pm »
The first batch of Tiger 800's arrived in PE last week....

They are supposed to be in JHB today, and going to their lucky new owners over the next week !!!

Rumour has it that the entire first batch is sold !!!
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit. I

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2011, 04:25:48 pm »
What Mzee now you trading the Big Ten superliner for a lightweight :ricky:

Plonker slow down  :imaposer:  :imaposer:.  Once a biker always a biker: The range should run this way:  the heavy weight to the feather weight.  Heavy for long distance and light for here and about. What say you?
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2011, 08:04:09 pm »
Oh dear, the Trumpet looks like a BMW, shame and an R1 looks nothing like a GSXR or Blade? Established good layout, just a compliment 8)

Holy crap!
I had to look twice. That looks exactly like my 800!! the Zorts is just on the wrong side  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you gonna rip off another design at least change the color.

I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »

First head to head from MCN to be completed next week. Here is the link  :thumleft:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/First-rides--tests/2011/January/jan2511-tiger-v-bmw-test/
Pass this way once!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2011, 12:38:28 pm »

and don't tell Trailrider about this video  :mwink:

LOL!

Transalp is for old people  

That's rich coming from you two BMW owners ;) :D

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2011, 12:54:57 pm »
Who? I don't own a BMW ::)

I want a Harley.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

I want a Harley.

Which one? Why aren't you in Oudtshoorn for the Route 62 Rally?

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2011, 06:06:50 pm »

I want a Harley.

Which one? Why aren't you in Oudtshoorn for the Route 62 Rally?

Nightrod >:D