Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Karoo Adventure  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: A Karoo Adventure
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 01:28:07 pm »
Jacoboos wrote :

" I decided to add another feature to the BMW already overboard electronic aids. This is called PWA (Parking Without Assist) As I entered this washed away river crossing, I was late in realising it was slush and the belly pan kept the bike from sinking like the Titanic.

All around the bike wash slush and it took some effort to get her out. First levelling the bike, drag it away, get it up, start and wile revving it dropped the clutch and with additional means of paddling she reached shore.

Peat had the luxury of traction control and after finding that elusive first gear got through with no trouble. G's&G's, I now believe in all these moffie assistance the marketing guru's throw down our throats. There is a video which I hope Peat will add to demonstrate what that extra moola is worth for buying assistance.""

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT guys , I can so relate having just come from a very wet Karoo , thanks for sharing with so much humour and humility !

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Jacoboos

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Tomorrow is not another day
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »

I shall leave this clip for Peat to explain.

It is so typical of him if you know him as well as I do. Let me just add: Never let any salesman tell you the “A” is not really that heavy because of this and that. Bull!! If you are tired, slipping while getting your feet mounted and struggling in the heat of the mid Karoo, he ain’t your brother, which is the bike!

David Kramer's lyrics for one of his songs "Onder water" where he sings about the Karoo goes like this: "Hierdie hele droee wereld onder water glo vir my" and here's the proof, and the song:

I had this song in my head every day!

Finally, Fraserburg. We were way behind time as the route of 130km took about 4hours and we decided to head for Loxton instead of Carnarvon. At the filling station the lady in the Terrios was concerned about her brother “somewhere out there on his BMW just like yours" and we reassure her that he should be OK, he's on a GS. They warned us about the road to Loxton and her husband reckoned we should be able to make it through!

I had to laugh every time Peat put some sort of sunscreen on his face. Ever seen a ghost during daytime!

We rode through a number of long water crossings, passing vehicles at the same time and when we realised we have not taken any pictures of this so called impassable R356, it dawned on us, was it possible the thought of the Karoo adventure now slip sliding away?

Just taking everything in, no thoughts, just the sound of the boxer purring willingly, visor open,  Karoo fynbos in your nostrils and dust on your teeth....

Loxton, Beaufort West and Fraserburg crossing close to Loxton. How we almost  turned right!

You've not been in Loxton if you don't have a photo of you and your steed in the same frame as the church. See if you can find "Lemmer", just don't say nasty things about Milla, he single handedly sent three Harley riders to hospital.

1000km of gravel and then a puncture on tar...aaarrrgghh.

Peat was quick to get the snotstokkies out and fix the puncture. Luckily his tyre sensors signal a warning before worse damage was incurred. We had more fun and games awaiting us with this issue on the last day.

Tired but immensely satisfied at Kambro campsite. I really like this padstal and will travel out of my way to have a stay over.

on a bike sometimes you win and sometimes you don't...but you never lose

Offline Jacoboos

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 02:40:17 pm »
Day 5

We wanted to visit the big hole in Jagersfontein for which we had to go through Luckhoff. I remember the signboard F...hoff on a previous trip and didn't photographed it then, and specifically planned the route for the photo session.

At the swimming pool around 5am and the wind was already pumping. Why is that whatever direction a motorcyclist travel he/she will have a gust from the side, even if you turn 90deg into it.

And there you have it, a wind pump having a Climax! Now I understand.

Packing up for the last time, naturally, with coffee and rusks.

After Strydenburg we took the R387 on route to van der Kloof dam.

The same puncture playing up, more snotstokkies.

Van der Kloof dam. I must go to one of the bashes I heard myself mumbling.

Luckhoff came and disappeared and no F...hoff sign. But aaggh f...off, not again. Peat slot in 5 snotstokkies last time and not even the BMW stock helped. We removed the tyre and tried to fix it with a patch on the inside but could not get enough woema from the little pump to get the wheel to seal back on the rim.

We tied the wheel to the back and I headed back to F...hoff. The garage pump had no effect and then the rescue. "ek het net so fiets maar kry nie tyd om die ding te ry"  the voice behind me and I thought (jy maak tyd d..s) I turned around and there was this farmer. A friendly farmer, and we talked bikes and routes and you name it. "as jy net agter die Agri stoor gaan, hulle maak bande reg daar, kom ek gaan wys jou" Thank goodness it was Monday and not the weekend. Without any hassle they fixed the tyre with a mushroom plug and Peat was quite relieved to see the friendly orange headlight returning from over the hill. Thanks Luckhoff, maybe they restored the sign cause this place is a rather welcoming town.

So, Red Bull gives you wings...but...Power play gives you wheelspin, if you don't have traction control. We restored the energy levels and headed home. Wherever we stopped along the side of the tarred roads we were greeted by a mess of garbage, what a shame.

And so it was over far too quickly. Moon rising capture on the N1 near Koppies. Peat had HID on his bike and what a difference. I rode behind or next to him for most of the night riding and I will not do it otherwise unless I have it fitted to my bike too. We said our cheers at the Shell near his home in Kempton Park around 9pm and I arrived safely in Pta at 9:30.

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 02:49:15 pm »
What a very lekker-lees report ...................  :thumleft: :thumleft:
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline DirtRebell

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »
Wat 'n trip deur memory lane vir my.

Daai stretch deur die karoo tussen Sutherland en Loxton is maar net lekker highway graveltravel.

Op Sutherland moes jy net die petrolstasie bestuurder gan opklop het, hy bly skuinsoorkant die stasie en gee nie om om vir 'n man gou oop te maak nie.

Thanks for sharing! :thumleft:

Offline Peat

• I Hope to be half the man my Dog thinks I am
    • Xtreme Design
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2011, 05:44:06 pm »
One of my favourite roads, R381. Peat managed a 180km/h stint which shows how rideable this piece of gravel can be.
"JacoBoos"

I have always wanted to go fast on a gravel road, and so I go my chance on this trip.

I decided to back off after 180Km/h on this gravel highway, the bike was willing by I decided that was fast enough.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. (Suzuki GT750, Suzuki 1100 GSX, BMW1100, 1150GSA, 1200GSA)

Offline Peat

• Xtreme Design
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2011, 08:41:55 pm »

I shall leave this clip for Peat to explain.

It is so typical of him if you know him as well as I do. Let me just add: Never let any salesman tell you the “A” is not really that heavy because of this and that. Bull!! If you are tired, slipping while getting your feet mounted and struggling in the heat of the mid Karoo, he ain’t your brother, which is the bike!

Ag well no fine.............."Titanium Steed" was just taking a rest!!

Just prior to this I'd crossed a rather slippery piece of Karoo, the bike did a wiggle and I decided to go back and have a look see!
So I turned around and yes you guessed it, no weight on the out side of the turn, rode up the small lip at the edge of the road and fell over!
Interestingly enough after picking "Titanium Steed" up with Jacoboos's help, and examining the a fore mentioned wiggle, it turned out that it was a side ways movement of more than a Meter, probably closer to Two Meters, amazing how it seemed like a small wiggle, when trying to ride in a straight line!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:44:00 pm by Peat »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. (Suzuki GT750, Suzuki 1100 GSX, BMW1100, 1150GSA, 1200GSA)

Offline Peat

• Xtreme Design
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2011, 09:07:34 pm »

Finally, Fraserburg. We were way behind time as the route of 130km took about 4hours and we decided to head for Loxton instead of Carnarvon. At the filling station the lady in the Terrios was concerned about her brother “somewhere out there on his BMW just like yours" and we reassure her that he should be OK, he's on a GS. They warned us about the road to Loxton and her husband reckoned we should be able to make it through!

[/quote]

Have a good look at the store in the back ground!!

Offline Peat

• Xtreme Design
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2011, 10:14:17 pm »
More Videos here.

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 09:44:08 am »
Great report and pics Jacoboos  :thumleft:
What a great ride you guys had!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Gee S

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:14 pm »
What a nice report and great picks. :thumleft:
All that wander are not lost

Offline SuperDave (RIP)

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • RIP 7 Nov 1976 - 10 Mar 2013
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2011, 10:43:56 am »

While getting "Titanium Steed" out of the mud, barely 100meters away another Wild Dog was struggling. I think it was Soetduif, and he was on a solo trip.

Hey Jacoboos!! 
That was me falling around in that sticky red mud! 
Took the wrong line there...   ;D

How great is that meeting you guys there in the middle of nowhere!   :ricky:

Glad you okes made it back in one piece and enjoyed as much as I did! 

I can't see your pics as it's blocked here at work...will make a plan!

"If you have to think about it, maybe it's not for you." - Advert

BMW F650 Dakar
Yamaha XT 350
 Karoo trip report:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=66157.0

Offline Jacoboos

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »

While getting "Titanium Steed" out of the mud, barely 100meters away another Wild Dog was struggling. I think it was Soetduif, and he was on a solo trip.

Hey Jacoboos!! 

Hi SD

Altyd lekker om 'n WD so padlangs te ontmoet. Bly om te sien jy't ook die huis veilig bereik, daai fiets van jou was gepak. My ore het seker nog getuit na die val, daarom dat jou naam so bietjie verkeerd aangehaal is, maar dit was naby. Hoop om van jou foties ook te sien.

J

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 11:47:47 am »
Etter.....dit lyk nice man!! SuperDave het my vertel van sy neer ploeg na sy trippie....goeie fotie wat julle van hom gekry het waar hy sy bike weer optel.

Goeie video's ook....dink 'n ander bike sou jou dalk ge-hiside het daar in die modder!!

Great RR!!
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 01:13:07 pm »
Baie lekker RR die. Thanks!

Offline SuperDave (RIP)

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • RIP 7 Nov 1976 - 10 Mar 2013
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:27 pm »

Hey Jacoboos!! 

Hi SD

Altyd lekker om 'n WD so padlangs te ontmoet. Bly om te sien jy't ook die huis veilig bereik, daai fiets van jou was gepak. My ore het seker nog getuit na die val, daarom dat jou naam so bietjie verkeerd aangehaal is, maar dit was naby. Hoop om van jou foties ook te sien.

J

...jou ore het getuit en ek dink my mond was so bietjie los ook nog na die val...  :biggrin:
Ja kyk, hy het soveel geweeg soos daai fietse van julle met al daai bagasie!   :tard:

Het nou-nou julle foto's gaan kyk by Carrots, moerse nice!! 
Julle ouens was omtrent uit-gekit...!  Lekker man!

Ek werk nog aan my trip report maar hy sal wel kom....!   :thumleft:

"If you have to think about it, maybe it's not for you." - Advert

BMW F650 Dakar
Yamaha XT 350
 Karoo trip report:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=66157.0

Offline MellowJo

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Melkbos
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »
Lekker lekker ....

Ons was verlede jaar Junie ook daar by Sutherland verby, ook lekker gegly naby Middelpos .....

Tx vir die moeite om alles op te skryf !!
Don't worry, be happy ! Don't take yourself so seriously !!
2 x FS1, 200Roadmaster, 400Hawk, XL500R, XS750, XR500R, 600TT, CX500, 1150GS, R1100RS, R1100GS, R1200S, R1200RT, 1150GS (2), K100, R1100S & 35 Cages !!

Offline lamo

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • good friends and fresh mud
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:58 am »
great pics you must of had a jol , hoping to do similar in feb

Offline Hakbos

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bikes....dis blykbaar in die bloed
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 08:40:18 pm »
 The other family with cab and boswa was also a Wild Dog member, Haakbos, and they were on their way down from Khatu to Wildernis and the envy on his face not being on his 800GS was clear for all to see. Thanks for the Tafel the previous night at the braai.

Hi there you oke's.

Glad to see you are safe back. I see the trip was full of surprises, lekker man, lekker. :biggrin:

The beer was only a pleasure and ja, I was farkin jealous. Due to work any long trips will be out of the question for the first quarter of this year. :'( :'(

Cheerz
Honda XR 500R - Sold
BMW 650 - Sold
KLR 650 - Sold
Transalp XL700V - Sold
BMW F800GS  The wild dogs cry out in the night As they grow restless longing for some solitary company  - Toto-

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2011, 03:22:21 am »
That pirouette is quite funny! ;D

What a nice ride report. Thanks for taking the effort to share it with us. What I would do to ride on those karoo roads right now.

Your pictures are awesome BTW, you should enter one of them into the photocomp (if its running this year).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:48:09 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250