Sidecar Brits canal ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humfree

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Ural (all models)
It was the day before Christmas and we decided to go and have a look at the Brits canal ride as I had read about it here on the forum and Lourens was so kind as to forward me the route via mapsource.

We left quite early and met at the local garage for fuel etc. The weather was looking ominous out Brits way and we where worried that we may encounter rain again as with the December camping trip which saw us properly drenched.

We followed the Gps and set off. There where a lot of puddles due to the early morning rain which we missed thankfully (the rain I mean not the puddles as they make a great splash with 3 wheels!). The road next to the canal is in very good condition and we thouroughly enjoyed the scenery and the cool morning air which makes you feel alive.

It was a pity to see the amount of rubbish strewn around the township area but otherwise the area was pretty and generally rubbish free. The local farmers where not the friendliest bunch but I supppose they are a bit gatvol of us biker tipes riding "their" dirt roads.

We came upon a pach of mud with some tell tale signs of a two wheeler coming down hard but this must have happened earlier and there was no sign of the bike or biker. I hope he/she was OK.

We exisited the canal route at Greens next to the R511 where we put in some more fuel and stopped for some biltong at the local butcher. From there it was a quick ride to Beestekraal station where we had a great breakfast. I was pleased to note that the service levels at the station restaurant has improved dramatically since our last visit. Some local farmers had gathered there for breakfast too.

From there it was back home along a very potholie R511 and onto the Christmas celebrations with family.

We will definetely do this ride again. Thanks too all who mentioned it on the forum...

The sidecar bunch...

Attachments

• The lady sidecar pilots where having a great time.jpg
    The lady sidecar pilots where having a great time.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Noel helping a maiden in distress.jpg
    Noel helping a maiden in distress.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 151
  • Definately did not go down there....jpg
    Definately did not go down there....jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Locals inspecting the Ural.jpg