Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: As a foreigner can I buy in Southern Africa and travel around?  (Read 989 times)

Offline thedomwayround

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • thedomwayround
As a foreigner can I buy in Southern Africa and travel around?
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:44:22 pm »
Hi, I'm just at the end of a 6 month trip from Alaska to Panama. I'm a UK citizen but bought my bike in Alaska. I was, originally, planning to ship my bike to South Africa and travel around but am now thinking I might do what I did in Alaska. Buy in South Africa, ride around South Africa/Namibia/Zim./Zambia/Malawi/Botswana and sell again in South Africa.

But is this possible? I've had no problem in North America as a Brit. with a USA motorbike. Can I do the same sort of thng in southern Africa?

Dom
http://thedomwayround.blogspot.com/

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
Re: As a foreigner can I buy in Southern Africa and travel around?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 05:50:09 am »
Should not be an issue, but the second hand market is rather dead at the moment...good for buying, but not good for selling.

Unless you have time to wait for a buyer, be prepared to take a knock on selling your bike if it is urgent.
I notice that your bike is fairly kitted, panniers etc. Not often you find a second hand bike like that, the general attitude here is that the people does not deem that as value added, and are not really eager to pay extra for it. Normally kit like that is sold separately (on sites like Wild Dogs)

Also, bringing in your current bike and selling it here will be problematic...you bring it here, you take it home.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline thedomwayround

• Puppy
    • thedomwayround
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 05:01:02 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I've been having a look around and a good old think about it and it looks like I'm better off shipping my bike from Panama (where I'll be next month) to Cape Town and riding around southern Africa for three months, then back to Cape Town and shipping back to the UK.

My next question (which I'll post in the correct place) will be about the weather. If I'm in southern Africa in April/May/June/July where should I go weather wise. I want to go to South Africa/Namibia/Zim/Zambia/Malawi/Botswana.

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »
seems like a good choice you've made weather wise.  best not to go north now but waiting until april/may is ideal.

best of luck with your travels.  nice blog btw!  :thumleft:

Offline dakardrix

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28:32 pm »
..that time of year autumn/winter, so Western Cape (i.e. Cape Town) is cold and wet, Eastern Cape could be cold and wet, KZN is perfect, so is rest of SA, just coldest during June/July, some of August. 

In Namibia it is probably the best time of year, otherwise extremely hot.  Swaziland great, Lesotho could be too cold, with snow during coldest spells.  Botswana and Mozambique also great weather then.

Roughly...   :-\ :mwink:

Offline thedomwayround

• Puppy
    • thedomwayround
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:34:03 am »
Thanks but what is KZN???

Offline Ras

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:13:25 am »
Its one of the provinces of south africa. Kzn = kwazulu natal

Offline Wolfmother

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Mars (all models)
  • Honda CRF250X not in list, Mars sounded cool.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 08:06:30 am »
Nice blog, you've been to some really cool places! Good luck with the planning.  We should organize a little WD welcome party. 

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:55:24 am »
Just been reading your blog -  great stuff Dom!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Wild Hearted Son

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Sandton
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 07:12:18 pm »
Why don't you hook up with these folks, they're foreign tourists selling their touring bike here

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61055.0

sounds just up your street..........
"...I was born to the city
But I longed to roam free..." - The Cult, Wild Hearted Son, 1991

Offline GlenInk

• Elliot`s only
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLE 500
  • R.I.P. 02/02/2012
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »
Greetings Dom ! Was good meeting you at Away with the Fairies in Hogsback on sunday 27 march 2011 !

Hope you had a safe trip to Sani ! Enjoy the rest of your trip !

Now that you know where I am, if you want, you are welcome to camp over at my place on the couch on your way back to Cape Town !

Good luck !

Glen !
Quote from: buzzlightyear
"Does your ass not get jealous of all the crap that comes out of your mouth?" 

Put brain into gear before opening mouth !   Believe it, cos its true !     Yamaha IT 200; Kawasaki KLE 500 The Ox Wagon  

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:38:22 pm »
I'm American and just bought a bike in SA which I am now riding around in SA before heading north for ????? Egypt, Jordan, Libya??? and on to Germany where I will leave the bike for future rides out from there.

See my post just before yours on International "Let the Adventure Begin" posted on March 27th. Getting the bike properly registered here can be a big headache -- unless you go see Lydia in Rm 17.

If you bring the bike back to SA for sale, I can't see what the problem would be. I probably won't bring mine back to sell here. I'll keep it going with annual registration renewals for a few years then sell it in EU to someone who is traveling Africa from top to bottom -- or not.

One advantage of buying a bike in SA is the Carnet de Passage you will need for going north in Africa. If I had brought my bike from the USA to SA for the trip up Africa, the Carnet would have cost me about $5,000 US. As it turned out, the Carnet deposit for the same trip with my SA registered bike was R500; about $70 US. I can walk away from the deposit when I sell in Europe.

Ride Safe, Tom
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline thedomwayround

• Puppy
    • thedomwayround
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 06:09:24 am »
Thanks Tom - but you could have just told me when we met up at St Lucia yesterday  :D

Glen - cheers. I might take you up on that. Am just about to past some pictures of my Sani Pass. or you can look at my blog.

Ride safe (and sobber  :