SC dogs get together at Meijers Rus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsgofishing

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
On a beautiful Sunday morning, 12 dogs left the Engen in George heade for Meijers Rus. By 10:45 we were on the road  - it was a pretty straight forward route - up Montagu Pass, then along the PerdePoort road, across the 4 way intersection, right at the Y, straight to Dysselsdorp and then  hit the N12 just before De Rust.
route.jpg

I didn't take any pics of Montagu Pass or the road to Dysselsdorp as this route has been shown many times before in the S Cape ride reports. Below is the one pic I did take.
P1000553.jpg

After 4 drinks breaks (well, it IS nearly 80k's to De Rust  ;)), we arrived at Herries se Plek for lunch. On the way there, WaveRider & Mrs Waverider caught up with us from Oudtshoorn. There we met up with Operator & Lovie from Cape Town, as well as a couple who were holidaying from JHB - I'm sorry I've forgotten your names - not my strong point  :-[. The other dogs from the S Cape were meeeting us at the camp site. We relaxed with a few cold ones and pretty good burgers, although  I did find the "Fish Surprise" amusing  :D
P1000554.jpg

The cops had set up a road block about 20m beyond the restaurant, so a few worried dogs were contemplating a detour back out of De Rust to re-join the  road beyond the road block  :imaposer: As it happened, it was pretty warm out and the cops decided to pack up and call it a day before we left!
About 3 k's later, we turned into Meijers Rus and proceeded on a great track up to the camp site. A couple of spots with loose rocks saw one of the 1200 riders having a topple, but no damage was done. We all arrived safely and proceeded to set up camp and head for the little bit of shade at the braai spot. Later we realised that Oppie & Lovie were not with us - some farm workers who brought braai wood up to us had seen Lovie take a litlte tumble at the bottom near the farm house, but did not see them on the track up to the camp site. TR called but their phone was off.  About 3 hours later they arrived - Lovie had a small off and thought that they were on the wrong track. There was a fork in the road so Operator went back and took the other (wrong) one. After 4 river crossings and a meeting with a slightly  irate dominee  ???, they eventually made it up to camp - hot and bothered, but perfectly OK  :thumleft:

P1000555.jpg

On the way to the camp site

P1000556.jpg

The loose rocky section

A client has just called  :( will continue later.
I also have NO idea why Photo F%*ket is rotating some of the pics!