2 Jacks and a Jill in the Karoo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Towards the end of 2010 I had this urge to just get out of here, preferably on a bike. I tried to get some EC dogs to do a local ride, but I suppose my timing sucked. At the same time I saw the Southern Cape dogs planned a get together at Meijers rust and there was a newyears party in Kenhardt six days later. I could not really make up my mind which to attend, so I thought I would do them both. It was also to be the perfect opportunity to put faces to the names one sees on the forum. Not feeling like doing a 7 day trip on my own I asked for companions. Mark660 from Brackenfell said he was in.

Suddenly I had that childhood urge again, not being able to wait for Christmas, but it was more the fact that I was leaving the day after Christmas that was causing it. I have full panniers and topbox for my bike, but seeing that I have lost the topbox twice, and was lucky enough to retrieve it in both cases, I decided not to tempt fate. Looking around on the forum and elsewhere I settled on the Giant Loop Great basin bag and have to say there was no regrets. It fits my bike like a glove and never moves once it is strapped in place. Early Sunday 26th I was packed and ready to go.

2JacksandaJill001.jpg

DAY 1
My route went from Jansenville via Mount Stewart  and Steytlerville to Uniondale, then around the Kamenassie berge to De Rust and eventually Meijer's rust for the Southern Cape party. Total distance for the day - 317km.

2JacksandaJill006.jpg

2JacksandaJill008.jpg

2JacksandaJill010.jpg

2JacksandaJill016.jpg

2JacksandaJill023.jpg

At around 40km from De Rust my bike started to misbehave. While riding at a constant speed it would just cut out as if the throttle was closed off completely. If you the tap off and open it from scratch it would go again, only to repeat the same some distance later. I filled up with fuel at De Rust and the problem was gone. The road to Meijers Rust was interesting but not difficult. Here I met Mark660, my companion for the rest of the trip for the first time, we set up camp, got to know a few dogs and had a nice evening.
I will not expand on the campsite as there is a seperate thread on that, but I have to say it is an awsome venue.