Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Wilddog down and up in Zimbabwe  (Read 520 times)

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
Wilddog down and up in Zimbabwe
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:19:54 am »
Old news now but just for interest. Straathond had an altercation with a rock and his Transalp on the 20th or 21st December on the dirt road between Deka and Milibizi. About 48 klms from Milibizi the Transalp tried to rearrange the position of o football sized rock in the road. The rock was moved three mtrs off the road, the Transalp then had had enough of the rough treatment from Straathond so it highsided him. Despite no cell phone signal, no electricity, no backup vehicle etc., etc., he was eventually got through to the hospital in Harare and medivac from there to hospital in Jhb. Result was four broken ribs, punctured lung and a cracked hip.
He was eventually released from hospital yesterday morning and will be recuperating at his sisters place at Skukuza. The transalp is also still in hospital in Jhb still awaiting diagnosis and treatment. His insurance company were amazing, but Discovery sucks. More will follow in the RR.
1200GS

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
Re: Wilddog down and up in Zimbabwe
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:38:55 pm »
Update on the condition of the Transalp. Insurance have made the call. Bike is to be scrapped - front forks are bent, xhorst stikkend, frame twisted, plastics on both sides broken. Sorry Andre, but when I rode it at Kariba from the ferry I kind of thought that they would be writing it off. :'(
1200GS

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:01:17 pm »
Shame man not a lekker way to end a holiday! Looking forward to the RR.
Hope you recuperate well Straathond!
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:46:21 am »
Who was his medical and bike insurance with. I think its important we know who is good and who sucks in the industry when it comes to unfortunate incidents like this.
Pass this way once!

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:21 am »
Pleased to hear Straathond is OK - sad about the TA though!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Tyre kicker

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:09:57 pm »
Who was his medical and bike insurance with. I think its important we know who is good and who sucks in the industry when it comes to unfortunate incidents like this.

+100000000
It's not the years in your life that count,its the LIFE in your years that count.

Offline Walkaway

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:05:09 pm »
Best wishes Straathond.
Hope the recovery is quick.
What would life be like if we had no courage to attempt anything ?

Offline Buff

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 03:16:52 pm »
Aina, hope you heal up well Straathond. Bikes canbe replaced, lives can't. Like they say, any accident you can walk away from is a good one... well in this case, cassavac'd from  :D
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 05:28:21 pm »
He was insured through Cross Country. The service he got from them for both himself and the repatriation of his bike was exceptional. For instance;- by the time we landed at Kariba with the ferry (twenty four hours) two guys with a bukkie were there from Rustenburg to collect the bike, because Discovery were still playing silly buggers, these guys agreed to take him through to Harare Hospital. Discovery still playing games so Insurance Company said that this was not acceptable and took over and airvacked to Hospital in Jhb.
1200GS

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 05:36:40 pm »
Did he notify Discovery that he was leaving SA?
Discovery also pull the move that a registered doctor has to authorise a casavac.

My wife needed a chopper casavac some tears ago in the Cape, was approved very fast, but the conditions were right, doctor, local, and all the details.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:40 am »
Discovery also pull the move that a registered doctor has to authorise a casavac.

My wife needed a chopper casavac some tears ago in the Cape, was approved very fast, but the conditions were right, doctor, local, and all the details.
I'm not sure but believe he did notify Discovery that he was going to be in Botswana and Zimbabwe. Doctor in Binga and at MARS in Kariba and Harare said he should be casavaced. Had to have a drain put in the lung in Harare before he could fly. [Correction - before he could fly in an airiplane, as he had been flying on pain killers for a few days already.] :mwink:
1200GS

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:25:52 pm »

I'm not sure but believe he did notify Discovery that he was going to be in Botswana and Zimbabwe. Doctor in Binga and at MARS in Kariba and Harare said he should be casavaced. Had to have a drain put in the lung in Harare before he could fly. [Correction - before he could fly in an airiplane, as he had been flying on pain killers for a few days already.] :mwink:
Glad he is ok and recovering  :thumleft:
Pass this way once!