Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Victoria Falls ride. Stupid? Or Awesome idea?  (Read 759 times)

Offline witold_dc

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Victoria Falls ride. Stupid? Or Awesome idea?
« on: January 05, 2011, 03:38:33 am »
The idea has been in my mind for a little while now and I can't get it out of my head.   :mwink:

I'm thinking of taking three weeks off from work and flying into Johannesburg, riding to Victoria Falls, getting myself to the Mozambique coast, and then slowly back to Joburg... Would this be a good, fun, interesting ride?  

If so, will I have problems security wise?  I'm an Africa Newb, but not travel newb.  

Are accommodations fairly easy to find around this route, or will I have to seriously plan each night's stay ahead of time?  I generally like to ride and explore and see where the bike takes me, but if it's necessary to plan, I guess I will have to plan.

And lastly, are there any good _cheap_ rentals in Johannesburg.  I'm not a rich foreigner, just an average guy with a bit of an itch to ride and see cool places.  I can't afford fancy BMWs and KTMs to rent for 3 weeks.  That really adds up quick.  Do you guys know of any better budget options around Johannesburg?    ???

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:06:05 am by witold_dc »

Offline Billbob

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Live and let live (to a point)
Re: Victoria Falls ride. Stupid? Or Awesome idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:32:50 am »
You can actually do this trip on a normal road bike on tar roads with a bit of planning. Accomodation is not a problem, there are hotels and B&B's all the way. You will require visas etc. I don't know about bike hire but am sure someone on the site will be able to give you info on this aspect. The trip will be worth it. :thumleft:
1200GS

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:42:35 am »
The trip from Jhb - Botswana - Vic Falls - Zambia - Malawi - Moz - Jhb is very popular and has been done quite a few times. Do a search in the ride report section. You can do it clockwise or anti clockwise. These were all on big bikes, but it a smaller 650 bike will be just fine.

Here are some ride reports to help you.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=35013.0

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=3358.0

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=36497.0

:thumleft:

Offline witold_dc

• Pack Dog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:56:18 pm »
Yup, I'm actually reading one of these right now.   :ricky:

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vendor for Twisted Trails
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:10:51 am »
Hey Dude, check out the Jamboree to Vic Falls that the guys in JHB are planning for later this year.  maybe you can join in.  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61630.0

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:34:53 am »
As for rental, most rentals dont allow bikes outside of SouthAfrica/Lesotho/Swaziland.

Maybe you can try with Samatours, Pretoria. They do guided tours to Vic Falls. And I have very good experience with them.
At motozulu, Port Shepstone, you can rent older type of bikes. Will save you some money. Dont know if they allow you out of the country.

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Vendor for Twisted Trails
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:47:51 am »
Marshalls Motorcycles in Durban have a fleet of KLR650's on rental, not sure if u can take the scoot out of the country.  contact them, the site is http://www.marshallmotorcycles.co.za/pages/30555

Offline witold_dc

• Pack Dog
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 06:00:52 am »

Thanks guys, my plan really hinges on finding a semi-reasonably priced rental bike.  I have some promising leads, and hopefully one of them will work out.  I also shot Marshalls and Motozulu and email to see what they say...

I see a lot of BMWs and some KTMs to rent in South Africa, but they are quite expensive.  For 3 weeks, adding in the rent rate, liability, exposure, etc, it really adds up quick.  Plus, to be honest I really prefer smaller bikes.   

Keeping my fingers crossed for now.   ;D 

Offline badprop

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:30:21 am »
We did Chobe - Vic falls last year april. No need for reservations and its moer cheap. One of the guys that joined us (former south african) flew in from aus, bought a 650 GS, did the trip and sold the bike again for a bit of profit when he left. Worked out quite well for him. For the 10 days BMW would have charged about R10 000!

Good luck!

Offline darkhelmet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:33 pm »
We did Chobe - Vic falls last year april. No need for reservations and its moer cheap. One of the guys that joined us (former south african) flew in from aus, bought a 650 GS, did the trip and sold the bike again for a bit of profit when he left. Worked out quite well for him. For the 10 days BMW would have charged about R10 000!

Good luck!

Yup, but you'll be taking a bit of a gamble. The buying and selling would have to be done in a short period of time. Also the registering in your name officially can take some weeks. It is an option, you just have to know your way around.

Offline witold_dc

• Pack Dog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:59:48 pm »

I can only get away from the office for 3 weeks and want to maximize my time on 2 wheels.  Wish I had more time to buy and resell, but not possible for me. 

Offline Nuzz

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:46:51 am »
As a foreigner to SA you need a temprary residence/work permit to get a certificate to register a vehicle. I don't think you can get the certificate on a 90 day tourist visa.

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 08:27:41 am »
Someone did this before..
Get a pre-arrange buyer for "your bike", he buys and register the bike  (in his name) and you "loan" it for the duration of the trip..
Challenge = Innovation = Change