A LONG WAY TO KENHARDT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
A LONG WAY TO KENHARDT

We've been wanting to do this trip earlier in the year but as things happen and with work always interfering and of course having recently done America on a Harley when I should have done this scheduled trip.....mmmm I’m digressing....

My bud invited us to join in on the Xmas thing at his spot in Klienmond so we decided to incorporate this in our Karoo west coast Namibia Kenhardt trip....quiet a mouth full....

We left home on the 19th Dec doing a bit of a loop via my spot near Kestel to check up on everything and as this was only a 300kay day we only left at lunchtime via Pretoria Delmas Balfour....by the time we got to Grootvlei there was a moer of a storm brewing ...and being the tough biker that I am we continued on for about another 5kays....at this point it started....in my defence....to look like the Perfect Storm from the movies so we turned around and headed for shelter....ja ok I’m getting soft
We sat out the storm having lunch in a little pubby back in Grootvlei having the worst lamb shank I had in a long time.......karma for being a pissy...

With a break in the weather...(so I thort)....we put on our rain suites and headed out......
It must have been the eye of the hurricane....because not long we had thunder and lightning and rain all around us......I thort I was mad riding in this it was so bad and my wife thort I was trying to kill the both of us

Thank God we finally got to the entrance of our farm road eventually.....which presented another issue.....MUD about  6kays of it.....
I don’t have a good track record for riding in MUD so the wife refuses to stay on the back....but she also not keen to walk 6kays of mud.....after figuring she lazier than insane she gets back on for the most interesting ride of her life.....a fully loaded GSA two up in pap MUD is no fun let me tell you but we got through by some miracle...... I tend to run out of skill in MUD...

Day 2
Stopped for breakfast in Clarens and then on to Hobhouse via tar ...we always pop in by the uncle in Hobhouse for coffee and koek...then to Dewetsdorp we picked up the Gravel to Fauresmith and then on to the Vanderkloof dam our destination for the day...having always only been past the turn and never in to the little town...the place seemed a bit run down to me and the camp site was ok but...being extreme campers....we only camp under extreme conditions that is if there is no other alternative....we found a spot called Pride Rock...it was ok but didn’t leave an impression besides for being on the top of the hill with nice view of the dam

Dewetsdorp the start of our off road
dewetsdorp.jpg

Vanderkloof Dam
vanderkloofdam.jpg

viewtopoflodgevdkloofdam.jpg

Day 3
Always wanted to go check out the boere staat Orania so we headed in that direction for breakfast the place looks a bit neglected and run down at first impression...the petrol station pomp jockey was a wit ou with no teeth so we kind of got the wrong impression from the start...we popped into the Biblioteek info centre to find out more about the little town....got some brochures it made for interesting reading  
         https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape

And after taking a tour around the town and ending at the river front we were sorry we hadn’t stayed here instead of at Vanderkloof dam...the riverside having a nice hotel and all...anyway if you never been to Orania it is worth taking a look they even have their own currency called Ora
We also met some PE dogs who also had come up to check out the place.....
Orania
oraniariversidelodge.jpg

After having breakfast at the water front we headed out to Carnarvon via some interesting gravel routes and even found a place called Sodium
Sodium
sodium.jpg

In Carnarvon we stopped at the hotel and had some refreshments in the “blikkies” bar...it was early so we decided to continue the 100 or so kays to Frasersburg....where we found a really nice guesthouse and also later had some good old Karoo lamb at the only restaurant in the town....the food was good and the service brilliant even though we were the only guests....afterwards walking around the town at night just the two of us was a great experience
Dinner for two in Frasersburg
supperinfrasersburg.jpg

Day 4
We headed out on the only tar section out of town towards Leeu Gamka as this was the only road out of Frasersburg I had never ridden and was glad as the Pass had some awesome twistys and the views where stunning next to the river....there had been lots of rain around this area and water and damage done by the rivers where plentiful ....also we were headed to the gravel section 10 kays south of Leeu Gamka towards Prince Albert and the Swartberg pass
Water damage
rddamagefrasersburg.jpg

Rivers flowing for a change
river.jpg

Late Breakfast in Prince Albert then up the swart berg pass having never done it from this side....awesome ride and highly recommended....we stopped lots for pics the views where breathtaking
Swartberg pass
swartbergpasssign.jpg

swartbergpassroad.jpg

topofswartbergpass.jpg

At the bottom of the pass we headed right towards Calitzdorp brilliant gravel twisty road and eventually got to my favourite spot for a pic....

My favourite sign
calitzsign.jpg

Just outside  Ladismith we  hit a left on the gravel towards Van Wyksdorp and then by late afternoon we saw the clouds rolling over the mountains from Riversdale......being from Gauteng and not very good at weather predictions I thought we were only in for a cloud burst......how wrong can a person be!!!
Decided to pop in to Stillbaai and see my cousin holidaying there......long story short we ended up staying in a B & B and the rain only stopped the next morning.....
Road to Van Wyksdorp and rain on its way
raincloudsrollinginfromthecoast.jpg

Day 5
We planned to visit friends in Kleinmond for Xmas until the 26th so headed out early the next morning via the gravel/muddy roads lucky it wasn’t too bad....even the roads where quiet and the queue at Malgas pontoon not so bad....besides some idiot in a car trying to overtake on a blind rise coming at us.... the zig zag trip to Kleinmond was without incident
Malgas pontoon
malgaspontoon.jpg

Day 6/7  
We chilled at Kleinmond and in typical fashion it rained most of the time....no problem we rested/drank /ate lots and I even managed to fit a book in

Day 8
We left on boxing day heading away from the rainy weather inland towards Worcester and Touws river taking the gravel to Calvinia.....one long dirt rd 200kays long...it was very hot around 42 ...by the time we got to Calvinia it was still early and we carried on thinking Loeriesfontein was going to be our spot for the day......

R355 to Calvinia....long and straight and hot
200kmdirttoCalvinia.jpg

Loeriesfontein looked eerie when we arrived.....the town all closed up and not a person in sight.....weird very weird.....we didn’t hang around too long to find out why....but decided to move on to Bitterfontien......and finally we overnighted in Kammieskroon hotel, around 900km for the day.....what a nice little place in the middle of nowhere...and the food and hospitality was very nice......will definitely stay here again
Loeriesfontein
loeriesfonteinsign.jpg

Road to Bitterfontein
rdtobitterfontein.jpg

Hotel at Kamieskroon
kammieskroonhotel.jpg

Day 9 and 10
After filling up we headed out from Kammieskroon to Hondeklipbaai as we had not done this piece of gravel via Killians pass....it was very scenic and worth riding....we eventually got to Skulpieskraal and stayed there for a day and a half.... just chilling with the owners Rob and Dawn....we just ate/drank/read and walked on the beach in the quietest and relaxing of seaside towns ever....
Killians pass
killianspass.jpg

Hondeklipbaai
hondeklipbaai.jpg

Skulpieskraal
skulpieskraal.jpg

Hondeklipbaai town
hondeklipbaaitown.jpg

Day 11
We headed up the coast via the coastal road to Kleinsee....which is fast becoming a ghost town as the mine I believe has now closed down ....it was sad to see how things had deteriorated since our last visit 3 years ago....on  to Port Nolloth and then Alexander bay.....
Mining diamonds on the beach
miningthebeach.jpg

Normally one needs a permit at Alexander bay but the security let us in to go see the town...which was all but closed....I always had a fascination with the Orange river and wanted to go see the river mouth....which is what we did....
Alexander bay
alexanderbaai.jpg

Orange river mouth
orangerivermouth.jpg

standingattheorangerivermouth.jpg

A fully loaded GSA regardless of TKC tyres is an absolute bitch to get out of sea sand......just by the way once it’s bogged down.....
gssandtrap.jpg

After Alexander bay we headed down towards Sendelingsdrift and stayed over at the Brandkaros camping and chalet grounds about 40 or so kays away....there is just place to stay here with a pool and no shop or restaurant so we had tin sardines and mid week salticracks for dinner that we had bought with us....we arrived around 3.30pm so spent the afternoon doing washing and swimming and reading our books
Brandkaros
brandkaros.jpg

Day 12
Riding on the SA side of the Orange
ridingnextottheorangesaside.jpg

We headed for Sendelingsdrift to cross into Namibia as we were planning to overnight there..Must say one of my most favourite places to ride is Namibia..Although it is becoming very expensive nowadays for the SA tourist .....one of the best places to ride for me is next to the Orange river with the stark desert contrasts and the lush green brush  following this magnificent river as it carves its way to the sea from its starting point in Lesotho  over 2000km away https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_River
Sendelings drift has a little restaurant so we had the best toasted sarmies ever....especially after tin sardines .....we relaxed ,took  pics and watched the activities on the  pontoon
Eventually we got going... the Pontoon is open 7days a week 08.00am to 16h15 costs R100.00 for the bike and two people also make sure you got enough change for the Namibian side as they don’t keep change the cost of a permit for a Bike in Namibia is R130.00.....NB it does not operate if the river is too high so suggest you phone before to check
pontoonsign.jpg

Sendelingsdrift pontoon
pontoonsendelingsdrift.jpg

crossingatsendelingsdriftonpontoon.jpg

bikeleavingsendpontoon.jpg

We stopped lots and took pics next to the Orange and in the desert on the way to Ai Ais
Namibian side the contrast of desert and river stunning
NamibiansideofOrangeriver.jpg

Riding through the pass
breakonnamibiansidepass.jpg

The desert breathtaking in its harsh solitude
desertrdtoaiais.jpg

Ai Ais has recently undergone a revamp of two years after floods they had some time back and we spoilt ourselves staying in the rather expensive touristy rooms ....but it was worth it as my attitude is we not on holiday every day......was a great treat with the indoor hot baths and the restaurant meal was brilliant.....I finished my second book of our holiday.......now that’s what I call relaxing....
Ai Ais hot springs Namibia
aiais.jpg

The indoor hot spring bathes
AiAisHotbaths.jpg

Day 12
It was old year’s eve and we had a date in Kenhardt.....so we were up early for breakfast and hit the long road just over 500kays....high speed Namibian dirt highways via Karasburg  and the not  so high speed.. but hang on to everything dirt section after Onseepkans to Poffadder....by the time we got to Poffader I was seriously gat vol of the dirt and we hit the tar to Kakamas then the last 80kays of dirt to Kenhardt....where some of the other Dogs had planned to meet us for a small new year’s bash
Namibian highway
namibianhighway.jpg

(Our old years eve date....for the third year in a row now we have chosen a random town in SA and put it out there to folks doing the dual sport touring thing....do your own touring thing...but lets meet for a get together for old years and have a thrash....it beats spending old years alone ....its been fun and this year was no exception)
Arriving in Kenhardt
kenhardtsign.jpg

meetupwithWDathotel.jpg

To my surprise over 13 Wild Dogs made the trek to Kenhardt....that was great and thank you all for the effort it was really nice meeting  you all...Also thanks to Firecoast for giving me a WD sticker I still owe u....
The lady in the hotel was kind enough to arrange homemade bread/salad and braai packs and we spent the evening making new friends/drinking and braaing  and sharing laughter as I’m sure all wild dogs do at a get together.....we even  wrote on the hotels wall  and there was a HP2 in the bar and some people went swimming after midnight......few people even camped in the rain by the pool
Some party pics
someoftheguys.jpg

someoftheladies.jpg

lateniters.jpg

lateniters.jpg

diehardscelebratingnewyears.jpg

We left our mark on the wall in the hotel
listofwdonthewall.jpg

Day 13
We said our goodbyes and most of the folks headed out while Werfetter(Shaun you have to change this name) and Wife and I decided to have a rest day walking around Kenhardt and relaxing at the hotel....was a good call considering we were heading home the next day
carnarvonsigninkenhardt.jpg

Day 14
Homeward bound we went ....dirt/mud and tar mostly riding through 3 rain storms and bumping into Malibu and Mark Hardy in Bothaville who joined us for the last stretch to Jhb
All in all for us we did 4985km it was another great ride and we met great people along the way