Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Learners Licence Disappointment !!!  (Read 554 times)

Offline WF

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Learners Licence Disappointment !!!
« on: January 06, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »
Ok so i feel like a real #hole ! After months of planning and looking forward to buying my son a bike i find out that you can only get a learners for a bike bigger than 125cc at 18, not 17 as i thought.
Now before you all laugh too loud , when i heard this i called Randburg test station and asked, i was told in no uncertain terms that you can get a learners for a big bike at 17. Not convinced i asked her to please check and on return she confirmed .
I then called Linex Yamaha and spoke to a sales guy, again i was assured that at 17 he could get a learners for a bigger bike.
Over the last few months ive visited various bike shops explaining that my son is turning 17 and we want a bigger bike , not once was i corrected.

Anyway it was my stupid fault but im surprised at how much confusion there is on this.
Everyone dies, not everyone lives !

Offline ShaunF

Re: Learners Licence Disappointment !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:05 pm »
As far as I know it is 18 for learners for big bike.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:23:22 pm »
Also confused now. Can't remember when I got my big bike learners, but I can't remember riding a big bike legally before my 18th birthday.

Maybe the confusion is due to the car learners at 17 and bike learners at 18.

Offline Xavier

• - - -
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:18:54 am »
my 2c fwiw, the big momma is gonna pull you over in a roadblock, and ask to see your "license". I strongly doubt they will check your age, but still a risk I admit.

My general experience is they ask for license, check license disk on bike and number plate, off you go. In all 5 times I've never been asked to even remove my helmet or get off the bike.

On a breakfast run a couple of moons ago one guy in the group forgot his wallet at home. So another in the group 'lend' him his learners (which he still had on him). True to Murphy we got pulled over. Wallet-less took out borrowed piece of paper, big momma was happy, 5 min later we were outtathere.
Those who beat their swords into plough shears, will plough for those who did not

Offline Captain Cook

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:36:54 am »
THey may not ask your age but on your licence it indicates if the licence is for a 125 or above

Offline Beebop

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:48:53 am »
Ok the thing is there is no difference between a learners for a 50 and one for a 500.
If you older than 18 the learners is valid for a bike larger than 125. If you younger, its
valid for a bike up to 125. If you get it at 17, then turn 18, you can automatically ride the
bigger bike with the same learners. Unless they check your age, the learners will not
give any indication.

Offline Xavier

• - - -
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »
That was my understanding (and line of thought) as wel...

Thanx!
Those who beat their swords into plough shears, will plough for those who did not

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 03:25:04 pm »
Ok the thing is there is no difference between a learners for a 50 and one for a 500.
If you older than 18 the learners is valid for a bike larger than 125. If you younger, its
valid for a bike up to 125. If you get it at 17, then turn 18, you can automatically ride the
bigger bike with the same learners. Unless they check your age, the learners will not
give any indication.

???  Do they not state the category licence on the learners?  Learn something new every day.