Cederberg - Biedouw valley - Saltpans - Tankwa Karoo(R355)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuttsNutts

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So I got the new bike :D and must do 1000Kms this weekend to get that 1st service because I need to take it to Lesotho this coming week, what now :shock: , well 1 phone to Bruno AKA Frank we are on our way to the Cedeberg for the weekend :D

First stop Malmesbury for supplies(Jacky D - 1st, Meat - 2nd) then onto Citrusdal and Algeria over Piekenierskloof pass

ceder1.JPG

We rode in the dark for an hour to make Algeria, Not my favourite activity :( but as it turns out the Adventures lights are more effective that I expected so it was fun, just to many cagers(4x4 versions) trundling along on the dirt heading to the Cederburg to show little Johnny what a mountain looks like

THe camp location of Algeria is stunning though I was dissapointed by the fact that there was not grass :( , We unpacked, started a fire and out came those we do not speak of

ceder2.JPG

1 X (Those who we do not speak off) = 1 x Happy Camper
It is here where we decided to go over the top of the Cederberg and come down the Karoo

ceder3.JPG

THe next morning, after having a b*tch about our sore heads, we got on our way pretty early

ceder4.JPG

This photo almost cost me my first scratches on the Adventure, I stopped put out the sidestand but left the engine running, as I got off and faced away I heard the sound of tires moving around and upon turning around and much to my dismay found my bike half way to hitting the Rocks in the ditch :shock: , fortunatly some quick reflexes(still dont know with my brain sloshing around in my head - thanks Jack) I caught the bike and held onto it 8)

ceder5.JPG

Some Cederberg scenery, The road were terribly sandy here and the Dakar and the Adventure were both fishtailing like a snoek in a Capies dingy, I found the Adventure pretty good though when I got on the pegs and just opened her up

ceder7.JPG

Onto the 4x4 only track which runs to Wupperthal, had our first break while Bruno attempts his hand at ... well I am not to sure what

ceder8.JPG

The way to Eselbank/Wupperthal - See the road on the left, It was all slow going but not technical , Not 3 km were the same road conditions and not for 1km could you stop concentrating, AWESOME :D

ceder9.JPG

Before Eselbank some amazing rock formations

ceder10.JPG

Eselbank Main road and shopping district :eek:

ceder11.JPG

From Eselbank to Wupperthal we covered some lovely sections(all 10 Kms of it)

ceder12.JPG

ceder13.JPG

Arriving in Wupperthal for some much needed Refreshment, The road we came down is in the background

ceder14.JPG

We left Wupperthal with a long road ahead and a push for time, but had to stop to help some chap and his wife with a broken Landy but is seemed his coil was porked so we went on our way onto the Biewdouw Valley

Our first major river crossing :shock:

ceder15.JPG

Crossing over the Western Cape Northen Cape boundry

ceder16.JPG

Its litttle bit hot round there parts, fortunatly I just turned on the aircon now available as a option on the Adventure :shock: . WTF I here you say, I wish, I think I was hallucinating due to the heat at this stage

ceder17.JPG

Quickly stopped the check oil and water, hey wheres the water on dis ting :oops:, then onto the Tankwa Karoo

ceder18.JPG

We found this Saltpan along the way, Malcolm Cambell came out of retirement for 1 last attempt at the landspeed record :D

ceder19.JPG

And onto the R THREE FIVE FIVE, to our dismay we realised we did not have juice to make Sutherland so we moved onto Ceres and then Somerset West after they would not allow Bikes in the Ceres camping area

ceder20.JPG

Well 900 Kms done and I must say I am pretty chuffed with the Adv, The engine if completly different and almost feel like a WWI Biplane at times, Bruno thinks its like riding the Bumble Bee like in Honey I shrunk the kids

Pros:
That screen is awesome.
The Lights are pretty good
Torque - O Yeah
The pegs give you a solid standing on the earth feeling

Cons

The first gear is way to fast for technical sections
The steering feels a bit to loose for me at highter speeds on dirt where the Dakar is solid

So off for the first service and then onto Lesotho,Sani Pass