Solo trip to the 2007 Buff (Part 2: Beyond Mossel Bay)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doringboom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
(continue from Part 1)

Day 5 (Sunday): Mossel Bay - Albertinia - Riversdale - Heidelberg - Barrydale - Montagu - (towards) Touws River - Ceres (407 km)

Sunday morning saw all the rally revellers dispersing in all directions. Here I stopped on a short section of gravel between Heidelberg and the Tradouws Pass, heading for the famous Route 62.

379057.jpg

The Tradouws Pass through the Langeberg mountains is an absolute blissful experience to ride on a motorbike! (And so are about all the Cape's many beautiful mountain passes.)

379058.jpg

Ditto.

379059.jpg

On the other side of the Langeberg mountains, just outside Montagu.

379060.jpg

When I got to Montagu I took a return ride through the beautiful Kogmanskloof to Ashton (sorry, no pictures taken). Here is a valley with mainly fruit orchards and the road leading from Montagu, as seen from the Burgers Pass. I am now heading in the direction of Touws River through the Koo.

379061.jpg

Still on the Burgers Pass. At the spot where the Tiger is parked I also had a very pleasant conversation with two friendly gentlemen from Somerset West who were on a day trip with their Beemers.

379063.jpg

After a few kilometres on the N1 in the direction of Touws River, I turned left for Ceres. Here is just one of the many very original place names one so often sees. ("Upper Sadness" could be a possible translation.)

379064.jpg

Day 6 (Monday): Ceres - Wellington - Paarl - Franschhoek - Villiersdorp - Worcester - Ceres (245 km)

The Bainskloof Pass, between Ceres and Wellington.

379065.jpg

The "Pulpit" is an automatic load chop-off device Mr Thomas Bain has installed on this pass. So, ensure that your vehicle's roof rack is loaded within the limit.

379066.jpg

Somewhere down below is Wellington.

379068.jpg

The Huguenot Memorial in Franschhoek, in honour of the many French immigrants that settled at the Cape during the early colonial years. I assume it's no wonder that I encountered busloads of French tourists all over the town.

379069.jpg

From Franschhoek I ascend the Franschhoek Pass on my way to Villiersdorp. Here's the view from the pass back across the Franschhoek valley.

379070.jpg

A sharp bend on the Franschhoek Pass - not the place to show off with your speed!

379072.jpg

The Franschhoek valley once more. Beautiful!

379073.jpg

A section of the Franschhoek Pass once more.

379077.jpg

Day 7 (Tuesday): Ceres - Prince Alfred Hamlet -Citrusdal - Clanwilliam - Calvinia - Brandvlei - Kenhardt - Keimoes - Upington (726 km)

I am saying goodbye to the Boland. I am on the Gydo Pass on my way to Citrusdal. Here is the view back towards Ceres and Prince Alfred Hamlet.

379081.jpg

There is an approximately 30 km stretch of gravel road over the Middelberg Pass before you reach Citrusdal. The road is somewhat corrugated and rocky at places and with a powdery, clinging dust.

379085.jpg

The view in the direction of Citrusdal from the Middelberg Pass.

379087.jpg

After exploring somewhat through the town of Clanwilliam, I took the R364 that leads straight to Calvinia. It is 117 km (of which approximately 110 km is gravel) to the point where you join the tar road between Nieuwoudtville and Calvinia again.

379091.jpg

The Pakhuis Pass takes you through the northern parts of the beautiful Cederberg mountains.

379096.jpg

With the Pakhuis Pass behind me, the road became more and more lonely, with not much to rely on (except yourself or those with you) if you are in need of help. Here the last cellphone reception you had is as something of the past as the ice age.

379098.jpg

The last pass of my entire trip! The midday sun was hot, but I nevertheless felt that a photo would be appropriate.

379101.jpg

The type of geographical features of which I am fond of taking pictures of had become very scarce now. In conclusion, here are some interesting black dolorite hills next to the road between Brandvlei and Kenhardt.

379104.jpg

In conclusion of all architectural matters, here is Kenhardt's beautiful Dutch Reformed Church. Next year the congregation will be celebrating the building's centenary.

379108.jpg

Days 8 - 12 (Wednesday - Sunday): At rest in Upington (0 km)

Me, Brandy and a dirty Tiger at my mother's place in Upington.

379109.jpg

Day 13 (Monday): Upington - Olifantshoek - Kuruman - Vryburg - Delareyville - Sannieshof - Coligny - Ventersdorp - Krugersdorp - Pretoria (819 km) Sorry, no photos. This is a boring road!

Total distance travelled: 3 685 km

Maintenance, repairs and service required on route: Chainlube application only. (And a proper wash in Upington.)

Fuel consumption -
Best: 22.43 km/l
Worst: 17.21 km/l
Average: 19.69 km/l

End of show! Thank you and bye for now.

Doringboom