Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Breedt's Nek, Sat, 8 Jan 11  (Read 363 times)

Offline myni

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • "Not all those who wander are lost." - Tolkien
Breedt's Nek, Sat, 8 Jan 11
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:58:08 am »
Decided on an impulse Saturday morning to go for a ride to clear the cobwebs ... and basically just to get out a little.

I ended up being drawn to the Magaliesberg and then left the tar at Hekpoort and ended up on top of Breedt's Nek.

As it was uplanned, I did not take my camera with me, but the purpose of this post is to say that the roads are great for some exiting riding, not far from home.  With the rain the road was washed away in places and many mud puddles, not too much mud stretches though.  Up the Nek the road was rather rocky with some deep ruts.

The only downside is that there are quite a few mountain bikers that ride around in the same area.  Therefore I would suggest that one needs to leave earlier to avoid the "rush" of bicycles.
Everyone I come across in cages they bought
they think of me and my wandering
but I'm never what they thought
got my indignation but I'm pure in all my thoughts
I'm alive...

Offline HP2

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
Re: Breedt's Nek, Sat, 8 Jan 11
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:15 pm »
... The only downside is that there are quite a few mountain bikers that ride around in the same area.  Therefore I would suggest that one needs to leave earlier to avoid the "rush" of bicycles.

Unless you are planning on riding it in the dark the mountainbikers will be there, honestly i don't see what the "down side" to this is but to each his own...
"this is not a gentle land and it breaks those who never learn how to stand alone" - Johnny Clegg - Africa.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:37:55 pm »
use the mtbers for traction!!!

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:02:45 pm »
... The only downside is that there are quite a few mountain bikers that ride around in the same area.  Therefore I would suggest that one needs to leave earlier to avoid the "rush" of bicycles.

Unless you are planning on riding it in the dark the mountainbikers will be there, honestly i don't see what the "down side" to this is but to each his own...

Several of us have done this route will tell you that the average mountainbiker on Breedt's Nek is a menace to other road users. They refuse to make way or even try to keep to their side of the road.
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure