The "frills"; "spills" and "splashes" of Buks and Nemo...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Buks

:deal: OK, I hate  to write a lot, so here follows the first three rides of Buks (myself) and Nemo (XT250) for the first 6 weeks/3800km of ownership. The writing will just be a summary, so follow the pictures and their jpg. names underneath (a total of 48 will follow)!
1st ride: 700km with a DR650 in company through a partly flooded Baviaans. 90% gravel/offroad/water/drowning  + 10% tar.
After this some 350km of commuting in and around George.
2nd ride: 350km with my wife as pillion across the Swartberg to Bushman's Valley just outside Prins Albert on the Mountain side. 90% gravel + 10% tar.
3rd ride: 2400km : George(only left at 16:00) - Kammanassie - Uniondale - Willowmore - Steytlerville(Sleep over in Royal Hotel) - Jansenville - Pearston - Cradock - Hoffmeyer(met Alpenmask and rode together for 600km) - Venterstad - Bethulie - Smithfield(Sleep over in Guesthouse) - Hobhouse - Ladybrand - Ficksburg - Fouriesburg(Alpenmask split to Clarens here) - Bethlehem(visit family for a week).
Then Bethlehem - Senekal - Winburg - Brandfort - Bloemfontein - Gariep dam - Colesburg - Middelburg - Nieu Bethesda(sleep over at Backpackers after 700km for the day) - Graaff Reinet - Aberdeen - Willowmore - Uniondale - Kammanassie - George. Up ride - Tar 60%; Gravel 40% - Down ride - Tar 90%; Gravel 10%.
Met some very interesting people along the way (although some told me I'm fu#$king crazy); got wet in Thunderstorms a couple of times and rode against seriously strong winds. Nemo constantly cruised at 110km/h, come rain, gravel, winds or whatever. Ave fuel consumption - 24km/l and no mishaps (Praise Jesus). Highlights - meeting a total stranger(Alpenmask, a Wilddog too) from Pretoria in Hoffmeyer(of all places  ::)) and riding together for 2 days; new year's at my parents; visiting Dardanellis(my birth farm) and seeing the Gariep spectacle!
Will I do it again on the little XT ? - Yes, absolutely - it was a blast!  :thumleft:

Attachments

• Baviaans1.JPG
    Baviaans1.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 596
  • GeorgeYamaha.JPG
    GeorgeYamaha.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 596
  • Baviaans4.JPG
    Baviaans4.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Baviaans2.JPG
    Baviaans2.JPG