Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Where is ATGATT more needed...  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
Re: Where is ATGATT more needed...
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2011, 11:57:30 pm »
6. In most types of accidents of any kind what do you see lying around afterwards...shoes. Make sure you wear proper shoes that are properly tied that fully protect your ankles and shins.
Pants = For that day you do a bumslide. (I often pass on this for the milk runs.)

I asume you sometimes dont where pants when riding? What does the neighbours say about this? Must be very freeing.
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline BrandonD

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 11:58:13 pm »
k, so I'm single, still young(28 going on 21 and no family responsibility), and yet I've been drilling it into my friends that also rides 2 wheels ...... think of what happens when you fall off(never mind being hit by a car) on an MTB, now multiply the speed by 5 or so, and add the fact that something weighing in at +150kg can fall on you at this speed.(I've seen too many guys that have all but lost their legs, and this was with gear on!!)

I love adrenaline, and I have a few scars to show for it, but regardless of what your friends say when they see you fully kitted, who are you trying to impress when you ride without your gear???

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 12:09:34 am »
Road vs Offroad:
Riding on roads for 15yrs without a mark to show (must be very lucky and thankfull) I do have some good cycling scars.
Riding offroad for 4yrs with 3 broken ribs, 2 torn knee ligaments(left and right) and torn every ligament in my left foot from the ankle to big toe in full gear at less than 20km/h. (jumps and slides gone wrong)
Just to show that if you are inexperienced its even more important to ATGATT.
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline cassiebotha

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLX 400SR
  • Olie misbruiker Ge-org Zuid Afrikak
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2011, 05:10:34 pm »
as oom Letsgofishing knows I am very skuldig regarding this topic.  I always go around town in my kortbroek and draf skoene.  I stay clear of traffic if I do.  There is no excuse for my illogical choise riding without gear.

Reason 1:  I get warm quickly and if needed i cannot undress quickly when needed to.   :laughing4: (joke)

Reason 2:  I ride only where there are no cars (bumper to bumper traffic)
                I fell with my short pants on the George Sircle one raining day therefore destroying my draf tekkies.

Moes grootword, bike moes gaan
Moes in George werk soek want ek wil nie trek
Moes bike verkoop ding lek te veel olie

Provocateur

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2011, 10:13:12 am »
All the time - no exceptions.  I started riding in the 60s, when even crash helmets were optional.  I still wore a helmet and leather jacket and boots.  I survived some nasty falls because of my kit (young, windgat and indestructible)   :D
My accident in July 2010 caused a broken leg, but I was not wearing boots, only tekkies.  I also wear ALL my gear (I now have decent riding boots) whenever I ride - even to the shop for milk.
Cages have seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, ABS, etc.  On a bike, the safety gear is what we wear.
I have seen schoolkids on scooters wearing plakkies and shorts and it scares the hell out of me.  I have even pulled some over and tried to reason with them.  Their attitude seems to say - "What do you know, you stupid old fart".
We should have driver/rider education in our schools like they do in the USA.
ATGATT - period.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:23:32 am by Provocateur »

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2011, 10:16:51 am »
ATGATT - period.
Another thing... all drivers should ride a bike of some sort for a year before getting any other licence.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2011, 01:08:48 pm »
ATGATT - period.
Another thing... all drivers should ride a bike of some sort for a year before getting any other licence.

Many of them can't even drive a car properly , how you you going to put them on two wheels ?   :laughing4: , but yes good idea in principle  :thumleft: Also I find that my friends and family and even clients start looking out for bikes just because I ride . When something is more personal then people also have more incentive to take care :biggrin:

Offline ALLAWYN

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2011, 01:28:38 pm »
I had two high speed serious falls on dirt roads, 2006 GS Challence HP2 written off, 2009 Kalahari 950SE nearly written off, wearing full ATGATT, I believe it saved my neck, my back my life.

ATGATT all the time, even to the cafe round the corner