Swellendam to boesmans rivier via hel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUPTO

Pack Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
Day - 1 New Years Day
Supposed to be packing, but the dwarfs mining around in the grey matter make this impossible

Day 0
Take a big piece of canvas, cut it up and give it a couple of stiches ... a big, soft topbox/bag for tent, matrasses, sleeping bags, braai grid, slipslops, clothes and whatevers doesnt fit in anywhere else. En wie se mans kannie Naai nie?

Day 1
Start off with the packing, obviously everything doesnt fit. Packing space is as follows: M**rse topbox/bag, but wheight needs to be kept down so I don't lose the subframe. 1 x Togbag to go on the tank. Start culling the excess. Eventually we're off. Bike ways a ton and a bit of a handfull around town, but behaves nicely on the open road. Through tradouw pass after suurbraak, touwsberg pass?? just before Oudshoorn. In Oudshoorn we stop at Wimpy and as per usual when you've got a big crowd I drop the bike right in front of the Wimpy.

Up Swartberg Pass, beautiful, turn of to the hell. Sign says 48km/travel time 2hours. Roads are in a not so good shape, but hey, thats why I didn't get a GSX.
So we get up to the first river(stream) crossing. Better half gets off and walks. Make it through no problems, phew. Same with the next. At the next crossing she decides to stay on as it is now becoming furiously hot and its a mission getting off and on the bike with all the luggage. Luckily we make all the crossings and its quite pleasant getting wet up to the knees.

Looking down into Gamkas Kloof is breath-taking. Vertigo sets in and we start crawling down. On one of the first corners with a serious drop on the outside I dump the bike. Works the nerves up a bit, but we make it the rest of the way down without incident.

The lady whom I booked the camping spot with told me I don't need a permit to take a bike in, as it is a public road, but there are a multitude of signs stating the contrary. Get to the Nature Con gate, wide open, nobody there. Continue riding along an awesome road with thorntrees forming a canopy overhead. Stop for a beer at ???? where one of the Hel inhabitants (Think...Wrong Turn) warns us that we can't get into bo-plaas without the code for the gate. Earlier that morning I confirmed my booking, but I didn't receive a code for the gate. Thakfully they were kind enough to leave the gate open for us as we were expected.

Beatifully quiet camping spot underneath thorntrees, clean toilets and showers, donkey for hot water ,our spot was already supplied with fire-wood, free of charge.and only two other guests .. Heaven.

Attachments

• hellores4.jpg
    hellores4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 163
  • hellores.jpg
    hellores.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 01loress.jpg
    01loress.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 161
  • boplaaslores.jpg
    boplaaslores.jpg