Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Boxer engine..  (Read 1439 times)

shark_za

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 10:49:42 am »
Thinner casing allows more internal noise to be heard.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 11:01:30 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"

Quite right, the addition of balance shafts reduces vibration, this allows thinner sections to be used, whilst still having a satisfactory fatigue life. Plus modern casting techniques allow the minimum sections to be achieved more accurately. This means the noises generated on the inside are not damped as much as they pass to the outside through the thinner casings.

Welsh  :D  :D
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 11:12:56 am »
Quote from: "African Welsh"

Quite right, the addition of balance shafts reduces vibration, this allows thinner sections to be used, whilst still having a satisfactory fatigue life. Plus modern casting techniques allow the minimum sections to be achieved more accurately. This means the noises generated on the inside are not damped as much as they pass to the outside through the thinner casings.

Excuse my obtuseness here , is that a good thing (from a db level) that this noise escapes from the motor? does this increase or decrease db levels?
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 11:41:19 am »
Quote from: "IceCreamMan"

Excuse my obtuseness here , is that a good thing (from a db level) that this noise escapes from the motor? does this increase or decrease db levels?

Anybody ever told you that this lateral thinking is the sign of a sick mind, bloody interesting question though. :D  :D

From a dB perspective I would say that it would depend in which octave band we are discussing and whether we are talking SPL or PWL measurements and at what distance. As at certain octaves the conversion from noise to heat in the transfer through the engine casings is different. In other words no varking idea :D  :D  :D

Welsh

Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Kev

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 11:50:40 am »

From a dB perspective I would say that it would depend in which octave band we are discussing and whether we are talking SPL or PWL measurements and at what distance. As at certain octaves the conversion from noise to heat in the transfer through the engine casings is different.

Interesting... is there any relation between the noise then, and vibration? If the noise can pass through easier, will it reduce vibration because it does not get trapped? :scratch:

In other words no varking idea :D  :D  :D

:shock:  So much for my ponderings then!  :lol:  :lol:

Offline lecap

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 12:14:01 pm »
Vibration causes noise - when the bits vibrate off and hit the ground.
 :D
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Grootseun

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 12:20:28 pm »
Quote from: "lecap"
Vibration causes noise - when the bits vibrate off and hit the ground.
 :D

Nope.. that would be the KLR engine.. this is the BMW engine thread...

(oops i may have inadvertently caused another 20 pager..now if only that chimp gets human rights..so it can get finance in order to buy a beemer..)

:D  :D  :D  :D

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 12:28:28 pm »
I think BMW should go the Moto Guzzi way - V twin mounted sideways. Better ground clearance and you still have the cylinder heads accessible for easy servicing.

I'm sure the Moto Guzzi has problems of it's own but I do think it's a much "sexier" engine than the Boxer.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 12:31:58 pm »
Quote from: "Lootch67"
...but I do think it's a much "sexier" engine than the Boxer.

I hope you put the "sexier" in quotes because you were being sarcastic... absolutely NOTHING sexy about a boxer motor...   :?

At least not compared to this:
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline toucan

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 12:46:28 pm »
Quote from: "InsiderDirtRider"
...but I do think it's a much "sexier" engine than the Boxer.

I hope you put the "sexier" in quotes because you were being sarcastic... absolutely NOTHING sexy about a boxer motor...   :?

At least not compared to this:

could be uncomfortable on long rides though...
 :D  :D  :D
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 12:47:34 pm »
I think BMW should go the Moto Guzzi way - V twin mounted sideways. Better ground clearance and you still have the cylinder heads accessible for easy servicing.

I'm sure the Moto Guzzi has problems of it's own but I do think it's a much "sexier" engine than the Boxer.

Its like a boxer with a hard on  :D

Welsh  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

shark_za

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2007, 12:47:48 pm »
IDR, the only way that relates to sex is you will feel raped after riding it.

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2007, 01:01:31 pm »
ENGINE... ENGINE!!!! sexier ENGINE...

I think I'm going to give up this posting thing today... I'm just getting uphill for it  :evil:

But OK - here is the complete product:

Purdy enough, I'd say!

And a quote: "As soon as you release the clutch on the new Speed Triple, it is clear that every outing could end with jail time"
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline tsiklonaut

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
    • Ühel Teljel Ümber Planeedi
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2007, 01:44:02 pm »

Well sayed Shark!  :twisted:

No inline 3+ cyl engine compares to twins or singles on riding comfort  :thumbright:

After ridden over 50,000kms with inline-4 sport bikes and "upgraded" to flat twin, I personally now find hyper revvy inline engines the most useless/unpractical engines on motorcycles, in fact. Or I'm getting old  :twisted:

Stricly made for those guys who seriously need penis-enlargement  :lol:
Horsepower
is an illusory
Mathematical equation
Torque
is the source of all Good things in the world

Offline tsiklonaut

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1100GS
    • Ühel Teljel Ümber Planeedi
Sexist stuff...
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2007, 01:57:27 pm »

Welsh  8)

Wot Welshie says,

Guzzis cylinders are unnaturally placed, it's like a size 10 tits, but they are using size 5 titholders that put them a way too much up, makes the tits look too small and too "cramped" :D

The following pictures should demonstrate how the tits reall have to look like, to look naturally good.

This is still the planet Earth's sexiest bike equipped with the World's sexiest engine ever existed in the history of history - the black colured crankcased boxer:

But it still looks the best in RED imho:

Still I wouldn't buy one tho, not practical in our third world conditions  :lol:
Horsepower
is an illusory
Mathematical equation
Torque
is the source of all Good things in the world

Offline Grootseun

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2007, 02:06:21 pm »
there is seriously something wrong with the men in that  second picture.. theyre all looking at the bikes.. :?

:dontknow:

I like the idea of the R1200.. but i think the styling of the bike is all wrong..it's very bulky-looking..

saw a guy in the traffic with one the other day..he really struggled..it was a brand new bike, he was coming up the road from lyndhurst auto..i caught him at each corner.. and when lanesplitting..

wouldnt mind to test ride one tho..

Kev

BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 02:34:24 pm »
I think BMW should go the Moto Guzzi way - V twin mounted sideways. I'm sure the Moto Guzzi has problems of it's own but I do think it's a much "sexier" engine than the Boxer.

Welsh  8)

Haven't laughed that hard for a long time! Thanks Welshie!

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2007, 02:37:50 pm »
Quote from: "tsiklonaut"

No inline 3+ cyl engine compares to twins or singles on riding comfort  :thumbright:

After ridden over 50,000kms with inline-4 sport bikes and "upgraded" to flat twin, I personally now find hyper revvy inline engines the most useless/unpractical engines on motorcycles, in fact. Or I'm getting old  :twisted:

Have you ridden a inline 3 though?  I know it's always going to be a compromise between twins and fours... but you also get good points from both.  I admit - inline 4s are not for me either - even though I own one (I was swindled into the deal, what can I say :wink:), and my current one will be my last.  I'll buy another triple any day though!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2007, 02:39:24 pm »
Quote from: "tsiklonaut"

I got a problem here, I still get that "aroused" feeling when I think of the sound the early Laverda Jota made, with a 3 into one and wrung out, a bit like a Tom Cat with its balls in a Bear Trap.

Welsh  :shock:  :shock:
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
BMW Boxer engine..
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2007, 02:57:25 pm »
I got a problem here, I still get that "aroused" feeling when I think of the sound the early Laverda Jota made, with a 3 into one and wrung out, a bit like a Tom Cat with its balls in a Bear Trap.

Welsh  :shock:  :shock:

Triumph with a good can does the same for me  :twisted: