Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW design flaw  (Read 3158 times)

Offline man on the moon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: BMW design flaw
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »
was also on those roads with the 1200GS, actualy had a lot of fun, if you ride just fast enough that mud is slung of the wheel before it becomes a problem. :D

Believe me, that mud clay was like thick glue. It was even back-breaking work to just scrape it out. No matter how fast you can ride in that stuff, it will never be slung off.

Was there on sunday, it was very muddy, but never clog up the 1200 front end, only a 1150 and 650 GS had problems, definatly put it down to speed, if you too slow the wheel just wont fling the mud
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:22:26 pm by man on the moon »

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:37 pm »
Seriously guys, all it would take - on the KTM as well - is to mount the mudguard 20mm higher up.
How hard could that have been for the "injineers" to figure out!

KTM did learn, the 950 had a mudguard close to the front wheel, on the 990 it was lifted a bit... 8)

Correct! But you can't lift it more - or the top of the mudguard will hit the lower triple clamp on full compression...

So you just ride faster.... 8) :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 07:13:41 pm »
Just saw that some mud got stuck under the front fender of a BMW, have you guys considered that it could be a BMW design flaw?........

Joking, same happened to a 660Tenere on van der Stel pass the other day. Cheers!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:10 pm »
was also on those roads with the 1200GS, actualy had a lot of fun, if you ride just fast enough that mud is slung of the wheel before it becomes a problem. :D

Believe me, that mud clay was like thick glue. It was even back-breaking work to just scrape it out. No matter how fast you can ride in that stuff, it will never be slung off.

Was there on sunday, it was very muddy, but never clog up the 1200 front end, only a 1150 and 650 GS had problems, definatly put it down to speed, if you too slow the wheel just wont fling the mud

Yep, keep it rotating, keep the power on (not too much) and you can get through, but I have seen 650's and TA's 990's 1200's 1150's most every thing clog on those roads yet others carry on..... technique can be an issue, if you see waterholes between mudholes, maybe take the water, it may wash out just enough to keep you rolling for the next one, but I think continuous momentum roll it through do not slow keeps the build up down 8)  
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Lotta

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
Het nou die dag met my GS deur n diep dam probeer ry. Kon nie deur kom nie. Is dit ook n design flaw? Vra maar net.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 08:02:37 pm »
Het nou die dag met my GS deur n diep dam probeer ry. Kon nie deur kom nie. Is dit ook n design flaw? Vra maar net.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Toyota design flaw?

Offline Fenderbender

• Race Dog
  • Robertson
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »
Fork Grrrr , wat het daai ou gemaak ?

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2011, 08:17:42 pm »
Fork Grrrr , wat het daai ou gemaak ?

Glo sy handbriek af vergeet na hy sy boot gelaunch het by Millers Point.

:imaposer:

Offline RoCky The Dog

• Pack Dog
  • Some call it Adventure we call it life!!
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2011, 08:25:49 pm »
This past weekend I rode the Canal route with buddy Izak when the black turf clay packed so tightly between the front wheel and the mudguard of my GSA that the wheel would'nt turn at all. I almost ploughed a new canal. The only solution was to remove the clay with a stick (after every fall) but this was only good for a few metres before it packed up again.

Upon closer inspection, we found there was a ridge under the mud-guard where it connects to the fork-assembly. This acted as a very effective clay-collecter. Izak's F800GS did not pack up once, although his mud-guard has only a fraction more space between the plastic and the wheel.

I say this is a major design flaw from BMW.

That is way the dakar has no front mudgaurd.The GSA must rather stick to the city riding trouh potholes and over speedhumbs.That is their thing.LOL
Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepperd

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2011, 08:28:13 pm »
Yous okes got it all wrong man! Those close-to-the-wheel "mudgaurds" are actually Designer POOPER SKOOPERS, so that yous durrent get k@k on yuor visors man! :pot:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Bos

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Dassies love Tassies. But they love Klippies more
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2011, 09:58:35 pm »
Bloody ajints!
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs. - Unknown

Offline Lotta

• Pack Dog
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 08:10:57 am »
Lyk my ek moet net vir die GS en myself n snorkel kry. Dan is ons uitgesort.

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2011, 08:24:44 am »
The 1200 has another factor making it even worse, the smaller wheel flings that slight bit less mud too.
Speed and tyre design are factors too.

I have almost burnt out a clutch of a smaller 200 when the rear wheel started clogging. That stuff around Brits is hectic.

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:05 am »
Why they put those low front mud guards on an "adventure" bike, I have no idea.

I would say something that makes the bike un-rideable in terrain that the machine was "meant" for is a pretty stupid idea - wouldn't you?  After all an "adventure" bike shouldn't seize up solid in mud should it?

KTM's also have them with the same results.  

Surely somebody at the various OEM's should wake up and stop including them in the design?

Or this another one of the "fashion" things were a disfunctional design persists because somebody thinks it looks nice?

Strange that, many of the Dakar bikes did day one with high guard (mud) back to low guard next day for stability in the drier terrain at speed, maybe they know something 8)

I'm not convinced that it has any impact whatsoever on the stability. I have a high-mount front mudguard on my bike and there is no problem with high speed stability. They might know something else but I rekon it has nothing to do with stability.  :-\
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline Crowley

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2011, 09:21:32 am »
Seriously guys, all it would take - on the KTM as well - is to mount the mudguard 20mm higher up.

+1

Everyone is up in arms about the words 'design flaw' and 'bmw' ....and no one comments on the fact that the 800GS with the higher guard did not have the same problem.

Obviously the 800GS is a better bike than the 1200GSA and the 950 KTM

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2011, 10:32:39 am »
Why they put those low front mud guards on an "adventure" bike, I have no idea.

I would say something that makes the bike un-rideable in terrain that the machine was "meant" for is a pretty stupid idea - wouldn't you?  After all an "adventure" bike shouldn't seize up solid in mud should it?

KTM's also have them with the same results.  

Surely somebody at the various OEM's should wake up and stop including them in the design?

Or this another one of the "fashion" things were a disfunctional design persists because somebody thinks it looks nice?

Strange that, many of the Dakar bikes did day one with high guard (mud) back to low guard next day for stability in the drier terrain at speed, maybe they know something 8)

I'm not convinced that it has any impact whatsoever on the stability. I have a high-mount front mudguard on my bike and there is no problem with high speed stability. They might know something else but I rekon it has nothing to do with stability.  :-\

Yes I'm sure it has nothing to do with stability. Perhaps EU regulations for spray from riding in rain on road bikes (that stupid little plastic fender thing on the Dakar back wheel, is a result of a similar German regulations for road bikes as far as I know).  But then why do other road bikes have high fenders?  And most of them dont have that stupid little back wheel fender? It just makes no sense, like a lot of other EU regulations.  So maybe over zealous bureaucracy?

In any event, this one little bit of plastic makes various bikes a lot less capable in mud than they should be - which is just plain stupid IMO!

I'm sure the argument of "only 1% (or whatever) of our clients only actually ever take their bikes off road in mud etc" will be trotted out in due course, but its still a stupid design.  At the very least they should offer the option to install a higher mudguard as an extra or something.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline GRIM

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2011, 12:46:52 pm »
Whats the issue - See glue mud, take fender off.

It also binds up on the XT, but it's there to protect the radiator - if I ride without it in normal conditions the radiator gets clogged & doesn't work as well. It's less than a beer's worth of time to take the thing off when necessary.
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Orangeswifty

• Please proceed to suck my
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Ousted Rebel Alpha Male
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2011, 12:54:46 pm »

+1

Everyone is up in arms about the words 'design flaw' and 'bmw' ....and no one comments on the fact that the 800GS with the higher guard did not have the same problem.

Obviously the 800GS is a better bike than the 1200GSA and the 950 KTM
So show me the low mudguard on the SE?
The only design flaw on the BMW is the fact that it is one
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
We are blessed to share the biking fraternity together!
Do it now - tomorrow you are dead!
Real friends value loyalty regardless!

Online roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:49 pm »
1200 + adventure = design flaw                     :peepwall:

Offline The Purple Turtle

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • prev RiaanC
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2011, 03:48:59 pm »
Roxenz will recall the mud building up and locking the front wheel has been noticed on my soft roader V-Strom too.

And driving at 60km/h did not fling off the mud, it just made the impact harder.

Adventure is taking the wrong equipment to inappropriate places.

BMW R1150GS - Gertrude