A dash along the Southern Cape back roads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
So I dashed through to Groot Brak on Tuesday to visit some old mates who were closer to Stellenbosch than usual. Had an excellent (although disagreeably short) time catching up with Ysterklip and his wife - goed om julle te gesien het, en baie dankie vir die gasvryheid!

The basic route was:
Tuesday 11 Jan: Stellenbosch - Franschhoek - Greyton (breakfast) - Riviersonderend - Swellendam - Suurbraak - Heidelberg - Riversdale - Stilbaai - Groot Brak.
Wednesday 12 Jan: Groot Brak - Eight Bells - Herbertsdale - Riversdale - Tradouw's Pass - Barrydale - Montagu - Bonnievale - Stellenbosch.

I lacked the available time skip the N2 altogether, and with the wind that was coming in from the southern regions had to make up time somehow. Still had a blast along some roads I hadn't travelled before, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing some eden-like parts of the South Cape.

Tuesday 11 Jan
Left Stellenbosch nice and early - not long after sunrise. Of course I had to stop for fuel and tyres, and then realised I had the wrong maps loaded on the GPS. Doh. So ended up actually leaving town half an hour later than I wanted to.

image001.jpg

The view from top of Franschhoek Pass is always great, especially early in the morning.
image002.jpg

image003.jpg

On the way down the pass I caught up to a bakkie and had to tail it for a while. Near the bottom of the pass he started trying to outrace me and started cutting (blind) corners (idiot). I slacked off to give him space, then almost lost my cool when he cut another blind corner just after the little bridge at the bottom - and almost rode head-on into a biker. Fortunately the biker had the presence of mind to stick to his inside line and likely only had to change his underpants when he got home. I don't often wish harm on others, but this was one case where I did - I just hope that when he gets Darwined the bakkie driver won't take innocent lives with him. Unfortunately I forgot to note his registration...  :mad:

Some deep breaths later I stopped on the bridge over the Theewaterskloofdam for some fresh air. The wind she was blowing!
image004.jpg

Vented my frustrations on some unsuspecting gravel roads, then stopped in Greyton to fill the belly and subdue the inner beast.
image006.jpg

Slowed down on taking pictures after this.

Took the R406 out of Greyton, heading toward Riviersonderend. The GPS told me there was a road running parallel to the R406 for the last bit into into town, so I opted for that route. Turned out to be a private road - but I did the right thing, stopped at the first farm office I came across and requested permission to continue. Very charming lady and her husband urged me on, saying the road had just recently been repaired and that it was a lovely ride. So on I went.

Except I got something wrong, and ended up on a riverbed, axle deep in dry, powdery sand. Oops.

Fortunately Jacob - a friendly and energetic fellow - saw me kicking up fountains of dirt and ambled over to assist. Between the two of we swung the pig's head around. Whilst catching our breaths, he told me I'd missed a little drift through the river - "die pad gaan net daar oorkant verder aan". Made my way back, found the drift, and continued along the road.

Jacob, after all the exertion.
image007.jpg

Somewhere further along the private road I came across this old bridge.
image008.jpg

Didn't sound to rickety as I crossed it, but hope they're not sending their fruit trucks along this road!

That was the last photo for the day. I was running late and still had some ground to cover, so motored on along the N2. Dropped in at chrisL to get some tips on routes to follow (sorry Chris, had to skip the coastal road - but Ysterklip rode it today on his way back to Grootbrak). Then made my way - against a horrendous headwind - through Mossel Bay to Grootbrak.

Wednesday 12 Jan
Ysterklip offered to accompany part of the way back from Grootbrak. I was glad for the company, and appreciated the time he gave up to join me for the ride. Dankie ou maat!

Unfortunately I can't clearly remember where all the photos were taken. I was so absorbed by the scenery we encountered and the new roads we were covering, that I would just stop when a shot seemed to present itself, take a picture, then blissfully continue riding until the next stop came up. Here's a random selection of pictures - have tried to put in captions where I could.

image010.jpg

image015.jpg

Ysterklip op sy ysterperd. :)
image016.jpg

image017.jpg

image020.jpg

The beast (pig), and the beauty...
image023.jpg

"Die Poort", bridge across the Gourits river.
image025.jpg

"Ystering" along.
image026.jpg

Somewhere after Riversdale, along the edge of a pine forest. Road was so washed away it was almost jeep track riding - fun!!
image028.jpg

Ended up on this hill after (stupidly) following a detour sign off the main road. Very rocky, the road was just what you see in front of the bike and just disappeared at a fence. ??? Did make for an interesting diversion in the riding, and gave me a lekker view. Notice the wind blowing down the little mielies(?)...
image032.jpg

Was getting late after this last picture, and the rest of the trip was done with no thought of the camera. Got rid of the last of the chicken strips on my tyres in the Tradouw Pass, then stopped at the Country Pumpkin in Barrydale to murder a thirst (and laugh at the poor girl eternally sweeping the leaves off the stoep that the wind kept dragging back). Hoiked it to Montagu then on to the N2 via Bonnievale and through to Stellenbosch.

Stopped at home 8.5 hours after leaving Grootbrak - tired, but happily so. Best way I've detoured to complete what would normally be a 400km/4.5 hour trip! :)

Thanks for reading - now get out there and explore! And if you find yourself somewhere long the Garden Route - get off the main roads, find the sheltered back roads, have a blast and appreciate the beauty our country provides.

(Edit: Minor spelling errors, some clarification of text.)