Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Taking the long way round to Cape Town  (Read 429 times)

Offline noble steed

Taking the long way round to Cape Town
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:23:43 pm »
http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/02/25/actor-ewan-mcgregor-broke-leg-in-motorbike-accident/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sundaymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ftm_headline%3Dewan-pain---%26method%3Dfull%26objectid%3D18672180%26siteid%3D64736-name_page.html&frame=true

"We are going to leave from John O'Groats in the north of Scotland to Cape Town in South Africa. We'll take about three months, I think."

It seems the LWR team is planning a trip here... Think they'll look up the local adventure riding clubs? Wonder if they'll stick to the 1150s or see how tough the 1200s really are??  :?

Offline MuttsNutts

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelende Strasse Adve
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:12:51 am »
I am sure BMW will insist they use the 1200 ADV :D

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:45:26 am »
Apparently, from here:

FILM star, adventurer and all-round Scottish bloke Ewan McGregor is in the final preparation stages for his latest trip The Long Way Down. McGregor is taking his friend Charley Boorman along for company, as the pair attempt to navigate from the UK to Cape Town; the most sourthern tip of South Africa.

McGregor reflected on his experiences of his previous trip The Long Way Round: "We rushed ahead at first because we had this schedule of 400 to 500 miles a day. Now I look back at the film of the trip, I think 'For God's sake, look up and enjoy it'. It's a lesson learned for life as well; we all tend to get bogged down in work and other things."

Despite the change of direction, it's little change for the duos choice of bike; this time they're opting for the BMW R1200GS Adventure instead of the R1150GS Adventure they used for their previous excursion.

No doubt there will be a book, a DVD, a T-Shirt, mug a documentary and other merchandise to remind you that life isn't just about sitting in a dull office stirring a mouse and tapping a keyboard and getting your kicks from shaking a Kit Kat from the vending machine.

Take a leaf out of Ewan's book (available in all good bookshops) and bugger off to South Africa on a fourteen thousand pound bike instead.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:59 am »
Cape Town, the most southern tip of South Africa?
I wonder if they will ever make it looking at their geographical knowledge!
 :shock:
But then they will probably have a bqackup crew with 4x4's and mechanics and GPS  :D

BTW: An old sailor told me:
A GPS unit is a device which tells you with high accuracy where you die.
 :roll:
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

masehare

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:22:41 am »
I feel another "should-we-as-Wilddogs-invite-them-or-not" thread coming on...   :D

Offline X Banana Boy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:30:26 pm »
He sure lives in a good neck of the woods in London

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 04:24:15 pm »
When they arrive at the CORRECT southern most point of Africa, I'm sure Gravelmad will give them a hearty welcome... :D  :D
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline tok-tokkie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:55:50 pm »
I read on the Chain Gang that Ewan Mc Gregor has broken a leg - bike crash.