Coach Russ Fitness and Wild Will Enduro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splash

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
How fit and conditioned are top riders? William Gillitt arranged a training camp at Russell White in Ballito. Sounded like a sun tanning exercise to me and I packed a beach town and lots of sunscreen. Missed the training part of the plan.

Drove down early and enjoyed two rides around Will’s place. Natal has some spectacular rides and I enjoyed every minute. Monday morning we made our way to Russell’s place.

First, had a group discussion and introductions made. It was threatening to rain so plans were changed for our morning’s beach activities. Became apparent that we were going to miss out on a run, swim and some stairs. No argument about that and off we went with bikes to a nearby farm for some riding in sugar cane fields.

Started to pour with rain and no one made any attempt at unload bikes. Within a short while it stopped and riding was on. William went through some basics – riding position, techniques to use in ruts and so on. I was much more interested in the mud. Once on my bike it was not that bad, except ruts developed everywhere. The river section was left out as the stream had become a river. The track was around 2km which does not sound long until one sees the climbs. We did a slow sighting lap and then a moto of two laps. Not as easy as one would imagine. I then did a moto of four laps which was more than enough riding of one day. Bikes loaded and back for lunch. Food was ‘interesting’. Catherine White can cook and I was starving. Demolished everything that was to be had.

The afternoons activities included a bike ride to the beach and a swim. We did an exercise called ‘ins and outs’. Into the sea and back out again for three laps. The run up the beach was hard. Next was stairs. 268 stairs if my memory can bypass the trauma. Took me 1:40 to reach the top. Some did it in less than 1 minute. My level of fits was starting to look bad. On top of that, we still had to ride back home, which was all uphill. At this stage food became a major force and I made my way more than enthusiastically back. Once again, Catherine excelled and prepared some good dishes.

The day was not over yet, Yoga was still left on the days schedule. I have never sweated so much in my life. My towel was dripping and shirt stuck to my body. Did enjoy the class - it was the last of what I had to give for the day. Off to bed and instantly dead to the world. We did have an early start planned for the next day.

First thing in the morning was mountain biking on Russell’s track. Had one hour to do four laps. Catherine was seconded as timekeeper, taking things seriously. Some of the better riders did six laps. I barely managed three, it was the first time on a mountain bike for me. Thank goodness I did not have cleats, I would have fallen myself black and blue.

Breakfast next, how could I forget. After that, indulged myself with a massage, you know, my shoulder… . Then we had a session of power gym consisting of thirteen stations, moving around on the minute, which we did three times. Took lots of encouragement to keep up the pace and another dripping shirt. For a little fun we did some kick boxing and wrestling, well our way anyway.

Food again, even better this time. After lunch was ‘playtime’ and we spent the afternoon on the beach, swimming mostly. Yoga again in the evening, a little easier this time. Decided to dump the shirt, so no dripping shirt, just a drenched towel.

Wednesday morning arrived - was feeling rather good and relaxed. First thing was breakfast, always good. Loaded our motorbikes and off to do some more sugar cane field riding. The plan was to do two motos and then five. The river was included this time which made things somewhat more interesting. A tree had fallen over in the river which we now had to ride over. Getting up the bank was a challenge. A root had been exposed and I slipped on it on each of my laps. I was not the only one having some problems in the river. At the end of the session, Will took as back to the river and showed us some techniques to use. We practiced some of them and I did manage to eventually get up the bank, still a little practice required.

Back to Russell for a final farewell and I needed to start making my way home. The rest went to the beach for some fun.

Coach Russ, Catherine and Wild Will, what an amazing experience. Had no idea of the level of fitness top athletes have. Your wisdom, experience and advice will stay with me for a long time. Thanks.

Pictures
CoachRuss547.jpg

CoachRuss552.jpg

CoachRuss556.jpg

CoachRuss557.jpg

CoachRuss575.jpg

CoachRuss579.jpg

CoachRuss594.jpg

CoachRuss604.jpg

CoachRuss607.jpg

CoachRuss623.jpg

CoachRuss641.jpg