Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: F%$#@kken front sprocket!!  (Read 387 times)

Offline spyker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
F%$#@kken front sprocket!!
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:55:31 pm »
Went today to collect my new front sprocket. Well, rushed home to put it on and realised I don't have a 32mm socket to loosen the nut!  :evil:
Borrowed one from the neighbor but I could not loosed the $#cker! Looked in the workshop manual and saw that this nut is torqued to 132Nm!  :shock:
My socket handle was just to short to give me enough leverage to undo the nut. Anyway, I've got this 2.5 ft BritTool torque wrench that cost me $$$ a few years ago. That did the trick and the nut came off. Compared the old and new sprocket and the splines are different!  :x  I will have to take the old sprocket in as a sample tomorrow to see if I can get one that will match. I'm a bit miffed right now. I hate it when you buy something, take it home and then it doesn't fit!

Anyway, time for a whiskey... :D
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: F%$#@kken front sprocket!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:07:03 pm »
Quote from: "spyker"
Went today to collect my new front sprocket. Well, rushed home to put it on and realised I don't have a 32mm socket to loosen the nut!  :evil:
Borrowed one from the neighbor but I could not loosed the $#cker! Looked in the workshop manual and saw that this nut is torqued to 132Nm!  :shock:
My socket handle was just to short to give me enough leverage to undo the nut. Anyway, I've got this 2.5 ft BritTool torque wrench that cost me $$$ a few years ago. That did the trick and the nut came off. Compared the old and new sprocket and the splines are different!  :x  I will have to take the old sprocket in as a sample tomorrow to see if I can get one that will match. I'm a bit miffed right now. I hate it when you buy something, take it home and then it doesn't fit!

Anyway, time for a whiskey... :D

Tip for the non spanner boys, lock the sprocket using the chain, rear brake etc, not the gearbox, people have screwed gearboxes the other way.

Are you 100% sure about the splines, count the numbers, not that the ends have belled a bit so it is tight? Just a question don,t even know whatbike.

EDIT, Sorry Spyker, was not thinking must be PUI, just typing not thinking, you know your spanner stuff from memory. I did not delete as others may take note.

ALSO, if you find something that wont undo, check the manual,then try backwards, Engineers usd to delight in the odd left hand thread on drives etc. Dont ask how I know.    

Welsh  :D  :D

divorcees consoled, virgins converted,housewives cuddled.all round good guy. a man on a mission...'
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline spyker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:12:52 pm »
Yip, I used the rear brake. Worked like a charm.
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:24:54 am »
WHAT you have to lock the rear brake before undoing. The last time I did this on the AT it was way easy. Maby I was just lucky. Or because the bike was in nutral and standing on the side stand.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 07:36:56 am »
Quote from: "GIDEON"
WHAT you have to lock the rear brake before undoing. The last time I did this on the AT it was way easy. Maby I was just lucky. Or because the bike was in nutral and standing on the side stand.

It just that it is not nice to the gearbox to put it in first and use the box to hold it, fings can break.

Welsh  8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 07:43:44 am »
O thanks Welsh my friend. So to all the new mech's out there. Ask the manual.  :D

Or do what we technitians do the bigger the problem the BIGGER THE HAMMER  :twisted:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:45:25 am »
Think about it an XT puts out around 35 nm of torque, now imagine putting 123 nm odd through it ! Ouch ! I bet the dealer gave you a cs sprocket for a XT 500.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien