WC - Northern Cederberg loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossed-up

Pangaman
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
Andy660, GoGirl and I did a quick circuit of the northern Cederberg (Agter-Pakhuis) yesterday.  We left Cape Town early had coffee in Piketberg and did the very picturesque gravel ride along the eastern side of the Olifants to Clanwilliam.  Topped up there and continued on the gravel to Bulshoek Dam which is full and looking very inviting.  A certain hooligan had broken my screen last week so cruising was a windy affair.

Andy had been past here a few weeks ago and spotted a side kloof he wanted to explore, so we stopped here and walked in.  The next thing we knew we were labouring up a north-facing slope in the full sun, up to a cliff a couple of hundred meters above the valley floor.  It's a good thing that Andy and I are well known for our athletic prowess because we scampered up there like mountain goats - NOT!  GoGirl made up for our lack of fitness by showing us how to do it.  The climb was worth the view and there turned out to be some rock paintings in the overhangs along the cliff.  Climbing down was a breeze.  Funny how gravity pulls with more strength as you get older?  There were various comments passed about it being easier on all fours, but I might not have heard correctly.

Pushing on we climbed up Brand se Berg pass, close to the confluence of the Doring and Olifants rivers.  The road along the top was in really bad condition with soft, sandy sections as well as some fairly rough patches.  Interesting riding.  We turned off at Saaiplaas and headed down a tricky farm road to Papkuilsfontein to visit "Oubaas" and Chrissie Kotze.  30 years ago, almost to the day, I had pitched up there with a sick colleague.  I asked them if we could camp on their land.  Chrissie flatly said, "No, you'll stay in the house with us and your friend needs to be in bed now!"  There was no arguing with them, and we stayed for two weeks while David got better and we carried out the research we wanted to do in that area.  Truly good people, and although I had seen them a few times over the intervening years (the last time was in 1990) we hadn't really had a chance to connect properly again.

They greeted us very warmly, invited us in and, as Cassie would say, "We kuiered hond uit bos uit."  GoGirl was introduced to the business of farming with Boran cattle and wistfully wished she'd married a farmer.  The troubles and salvations of the world were discussed and laid to rest.  (All, I might add, to the backdrop of "National Geographic's Animal Autopsies" on the TV which kept reminding me of the visceral side of farming.)

The shadows were getting long.  It was difficult to leave in the face of offers of lodgings for the night but we had to go.

The Saaiplaas track seemed easier second time round.  Pushed on down to the newly tarred Pakhuis, Clanwilliam and tar all the way back, arriving close to 9pm.

A fantastic day out.  Thanks guys.  I had a ball being back on my bike again.

I seldom remember to take photographs, but here are a few.  I think Andy has some more.

Attachments

• Andy.jpg
    Andy.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Noscreen.jpg
    Noscreen.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 298
  • Cliff.jpg
    Cliff.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Rockart.JPG
    Rockart.JPG