KTM 950 Enduro/Yamaha XT660

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uiltjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Please give advice, all you guys with the experience...

Remember my friend with the Yammie XT660 headshake? Well, he did all he could to solve the problem, and now just fitted Michelins T63's knobblies. Now, it all got worse! Not only does he get headshake, but the bike starts a whole series of "wiggles" as soon as he hits a little bump or "slootjie" in the road. This gets so bad that if he would carry on riding, and has to slow down completely, or else this will eventually end in a tank-slapper. He checks his tyre pressures to make sure that is right, even tightened the neck, although that was a disaster! The dealer reckons he has to have the wheels properly balanced, as this might solve the problem....(Wha-haaaa!) The dealer also reckons he has to put back the DS tyres, but he NEEDS knobblies, as he travels 95% on gravel......(again, WHA-HAAA to the dealer's comments!) All this happens on gravel, and becomes 100% worse on tar!

Now, he is truely in love with the bike, as it really suits his needs as a DS bike. He travels on his farms with the bike, mainly "good" gravel roads, but also uses "bad" gravel roads. However, he doesn't do any traveling where a normal bakkie cannot go.

I am trying to talk him into a KTM 950 Enduro, as he will like the power, the WP suspension and all the rest of the KTM. He will do the occasional road trip, where the speed and power of the KTM will come in handy.

The question now is: Will he be able to enjoy the KTM on his type of travelling of 95% gravel at speeds from 20-120 km/h, and, will the KTM be as bad as the XT on tar? The KTM 640 is also an option, but he is scared that the 640 will be worse on tar than the XT. I realise the KTM is higher and about 40kg heavier, but he is a tall chap of about 90kg.

He is willing to part with his beloved bike if the Yammie doesn't stop its sh#t. The XT is only 2 months old!

If anyone can come up with some advice, please help!