Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dumbass Harley Rider  (Read 4083 times)

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
Re: Dumbass Harley Rider
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 06:36:07 pm »
You forgot, the owner of the car saw he was going to be blamed and that is why he left. IMO. And he was outnumbered big time. The driver of the Harley was wrong, but if his chommies was going to see it that way was something else.
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »
All I saw in the video is a HD rider passing a vehicle on a blind corner over a solid line, gunning it to get past. Too fast into the next bend and crashed out. How could it possibly be the fault of the car?

Can't blame non bikers for being scared of the Harley / Biking types - its after all the image they work so hard to project - witness the tub of lard in the white T-shirt wobbling across the road - serious tough guy with his lack of ATGATT.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 06:56:31 pm »
JVR, where do you see humour in that post of mine?
Pete is absolutely right, if that rider had a broken limb, it would have been fantastic to be driven to hospital in a car instead of a Harley. By the time the Harley reaches the hospital, doctor has to break the limb again because it healed skewly.

Offline bungycool

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

this is not a quiet isolated road there are plenty of vids of this piece of road on the tube - bikers love it  there is even a you tube of a blokehitting a deer in the first corner that the car comes to and as a driver I would also have been a bit nervous of the lard balls. similar thing happened to me when I had an off first car went past the next 3 stopped and the (only bloke in Scotland with a bakkie) gave me a lift to the nearest doctors surgery (yes i know this road is in the states and I think the harley bloke showed tremendous skill in sliding his hog sideways into the moerse gat while staying vertical and no it wasn't a blind corner you can see it coming from before he just locked up and paniced a bit.
If your'e going to do something do it with conviction!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »
And here I was thinking this road was Constantia-nek :xxbah:

Offline J-mo

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Get up one more time!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 08:22:19 pm »
I think it was a combination of impatiens and a wrong decision. On top of that he made a judgemental error by gunning his Harley, probably taking his eyes of the road for a moment.

It is funny in a sense, but IMHO stuff like this happens every day with different riders on different experience levels. I'm sure that everyone has a story like this, not necsesary with the same outcome, but definitely a story of some stupid decision or judgement error. Never rode a Harley or similar type of bike before but it looks like it's a bit awkward.

Getting lost during an adventure is a relative term. It all depends if you're enjoying it.

Offline ratrap

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 08:30:21 pm »
He should have just ridden the bike around the corner.......
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 09:57:50 pm »
Very funny to see that contraption dissappear into the undergrowth, looks like a GS1200 with panniers.

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »
 :imaposer:

but how do some of these harleys even manage to take any corners, they are so low to the ground, it's looks impossible to get any lean at all?   :D

Offline ratrap

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:59 pm »
Very funny to see that contraption dissappear into the undergrowth, looks like a GS1200 with panniers.
:laughing4:
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline Pote

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:58 pm »
Yes its funny... ;)

Great to know that if i dissapear into the woods or bush that you all drive on merrily in your cars. Thanks boys.. >:D

Being the only car there my instinct would have been to stop & assess if the rider needed a casavac. If that's not how you roll then fine..
I agree here with Pete, as I was watching the video I thought that the guy in the car or bus or whatever he was driving would stop to see if the guy in the pispot helmet was ok and if he perhaps needed immediate medical attention even though is was not an big crash anything could have happened, but for helping to get that 3ton Harley out of the ditch would have required the state police to close the road for about 12hours and get an heavy lift crane to do the job.

Offline J-mo

• Race Dog
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 10:43:23 pm »

Mwahaha, funny observation but I don't see the resemblance.

I'll give you credit for originality, Boy did he disappear in that undergrowth!!!
Getting lost during an adventure is a relative term. It all depends if you're enjoying it.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 10:43:56 pm »
:imaposer:

but how do some of these harleys even manage to take any corners, they are so low to the ground, it's looks impossible to get any lean at all?   :D
:imaposer:  :thumleft: yes a quick hi-jack here : one of the times in my life when a pre-conceived idea was shredded : My ex had rented a Harley and him and I and another friend were riding Tradoux Pass. Of course my friend and I being quite nifty in corners and being on the GS 1200 ( friend ) and me on a R1150 left the Harley miles behind behind 2 seconds into the Pass. We must have been flying along those beautiful long corners ,but my ex started figuring out how to make the Harley corner and just near the exit of the pass he came flying pasts me.  The first few seconds I saw those HUGE headlights amd loud noise come right up behind me and overtake me ,you could have felled me with a feather , I literally stopped breathing !!!  ::) ::)   :imaposer: I nearly died of shock  at the unexpectedness. I thought it was a helicopter !!! And I also thought they were unable to corner !! but he said later that you have to ride like a bat out of hell straight at the cliff face and then seconds before the collision you yank the steeringwheel in the other direction and aim straight for the edge  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: this was 5 years ago but I still laugh at the memory   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:48:28 pm by Rynet »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 11:01:26 pm »
Finally irrevocable proof that a Harley is faster through the twisties than a 1200GS. Was I the only one who knew it? Could you catch him on the straight Rynet? :pot:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 11:06:11 pm »
Finally irrevocable proof that a Harley is faster through the twisties than a 1200GS. Was I the only one who knew it? Could you catch him on the straight Rynet? :pot:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline J-mo

• Race Dog
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 11:18:57 pm »

Ok Ok, I'll accept defeat tonight, only cause I'm going to bed. The facts are piled up  against me.

Till next time, dream on!!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2011, 11:21:21 pm »
One big difference; if the Harley rider made a mistake on Tredouw pass, no nice green shrubbery for him :eek7:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 06:01:16 am »

Ok Ok, I'll accept defeat tonight, only cause I'm going to bed. The facts are piled up  against me.

2SD was just joking ( or jealous ) :pot: Unlike you are a crazy Kiwi, few bikes will beat a Big Beemer on a Pass and it has the best chance of staying on it also , as reflected by the many people who buy them . The best all-rounder Dualie there is. Many of the guys on this forum are more hard core off-road enthuiasists who only ride on week-ends, and they forget that there are different strokes for different folks and that not everone wants to ride like them. If  you ride every day a Beemer is a wonderful bike esp in this gale force wind ! . I say live and let live, whether it be a Harley , a Beemer or anything else. I must say this endless bike bashing on the forum is getting a bit much  :peepwall:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 06:06:21 am »
Aquatic apologies for having hi-jacked your thread, I just wanted to thank you for posting the clip  . I watched it 3 times in a row. 

Offline J-mo

• Race Dog
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 09:00:11 am »

2SD was just joking ( or jealous ) :pot: Unlike you are a crazy Kiwi, few bikes will beat a Big Beemer on a Pass and it has the best chance of staying on it also , as reflected by the many people who buy them . The best all-rounder Dualie there is. Many of the guys on this forum are more hard core off-road enthuiasists who only ride on week-ends, and they forget that there are different strokes for different folks and that not everone wants to ride like them. If  you ride every day a Beemer is a wonderful bike esp in this gale force wind ! . I say live and let live, whether it be a Harley , a Beemer or anything else. I must say this endless bike bashing on the forum is getting a bit much  :peepwall:

I know 2SD was joking (or maybe a bit envious) and all taken in good spirit.  :thumleft: :thumleft: