Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dumbass Harley Rider  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Dumbass Harley Rider
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2011, 11:13:45 pm »
2 SD I was not talking about racing . I will never be able to compete with pro racers and the GS is not a race bike . I was merely talking about friendly track days or informal rides at Franshoek. As a dualie it is a phenomenal bike on tar corners and commuting, and very safe too . In races the superbikes may have more speed , but they are also very unforgiving. People die at the Isle of Man.  And for better riders than me , the GS can do a lot on gravel also . Anyway my point was made , I don't have any more straaltjies 'om by te piepie' at this stage, but if I do I will have to hurry as it may soon be too late  :D  >:D

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 12:13:44 am »
Napoleon would also have been too short to ride a BMW.

Not so sure he was short on attitude:
Bonaparte led these 13,000 French soldiers in the conquest of the coastal towns of Arish, Gaza and Jaffa, and Haifa.
The attack on Jaffa was particularly brutal: Bonaparte, on discovering many of the defenders were former prisoners of war, ostensibly on parole, ordered the garrison and 1,400 prisoners to be executed by bayonet or drowning to save bullets.
Men, women and children were robbed and murdered for three days.

Once again, we seem to digress.
Rynet, I'm with you 100% about a GS's abilities. I have 2 good friends who will take me to the cleaners in any tar pass with their GS / GSA's.
And I've taken some superbikers for a lesson or two through Franschoek pass with my 640.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Trumpet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:09 am »
Insofar as the Harley d00s that this thread was started on - as jy dom is moet jy k@k. Darwin Award candidate if you ask me.

With regard to the GS being so "quick through the passes" - it's not about the bike, it's about the rider. Put the same rider on a superbike & he'll be just as quick, if not quicker. And vice-versa, put a fast superbike rider on a GS & he too will be quick on it.
You cannot change what is, But you can change your perception of what is, And if you change your perception of what is, Then you actually change what is.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 07:38:10 am »
The point I was making about BMW's is that I can't think of one single BMW owner that does not know the bike's limitations off-road, so why endlessly repeat things we already know? And ayway if you are are  good rider and strong like half the BMW club and many others on this forum then you can do so much off-road that the necessity of buying a KTM or other more off-road friendly bike is reduced almost entirely .Look at someone like Chris Hamman from Hamman Mottorrad ride technical riding (esp sand) and I won't blame you if your get tears in your eyes from the sheer beauty and art of it. Yes smaller bikes can do better technical riding but the GS 1200 is the best all -rounder sports tourer  , which to me means you can do enough ( if you were a good off-road rider which I am not) to ride through Africa and do enough technical to satisfy you, but also you can tour comfortably to ride esp long distances and you have a bike that is particularly strong in mountain passes and commuting .

The reason that the GS is so strong on passes is that on a race track you only have a flat surface with fewer variables, perfect for the more responsive but very over sensitive super bikes, who once they commit to a corner can't change so easily without falling .  On a Pass esp a mountain pass here in the Cape you have bumps on the road, road -works , you have a dewy surface on Winter mornings, you have diesel and sand and rocks on the road, you have baboons and other pedestrians and most important you have cars . That is exactly where the GS comes into its own. Due to its ABS braking , good compression , telelever , length etc etc it is by far the most forgiving bike . Hence guys who ride faster than me on the race track struggle to keep up on the real life passes due to the GS1200's strenghts. It is the only bike you can lift half way in a corner or change direction and not fall. It is the only bike i owned that never does wobble over minor diesel patches on tar in winter and that is with knobblies .

see also : http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2010AugGS.pdf from a great thread by Oshkosh which I will bump up http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=57923.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:59:18 am by Rynet »

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 07:52:56 am »
Insofar as the Harley d00s that this thread was started on - as jy dom is moet jy k@k. Darwin Award candidate if you ask me.

With regard to the GS being so "quick through the passes" - it's not about the bike, it's about the rider. Put the same rider on a superbike & he'll be just as quick, if not quicker. And vice-versa, put a fast superbike rider on a GS & he too will be quick on it.
I don't agree . surpsingly many bikers overtake like that shown by in the clip. I used to do that all the time. When I saw the accident my immediate thought was that there by the grace of God do I go. I raced passes with so little room for error it is a miracle I am still alive.  I was lucky that a car had not done what the one in the clip did. You have such a small margin of error that the smallest thing can ( and does ) send you off the road. And then being on a Harly he would have had to have mandhandle his bike they do not turn so easily .  On any super-bike or good dualie he would have had a better chance of staying on the road . But yes when you take chances like that you have to face the consequences that is for sure  :o

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 07:54:12 am »
Down the gutter again.

Is 2StrokeDan the new Jabu69?

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Paulsky

• Race Dog
  • If it's not Blue with a bit of Orange it's a Lemon
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 07:59:14 am »
Jeez like you okes can ruk die hoender, I think it was moerse funny and the oke on the bike should learn to ride! maybe he should buy a real bike as well.
" TARRED ROADS , JUST ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS,  SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 01:00:39 pm »
I didn't see a GS in the clip, or any other bike for that matter.
Where the fuck did my post go wrong?

Undiyasi
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Rolf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »
I like Harleys and the bike could have easily made the turn, easily with some lean angle to spare. He saw the corner, got a moerse fright, looked at the inside corner where he wanted to fall/crash and promptly grabbed a hadnfull of front brake to make the bike stand up - what an idiot!!
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:14 pm »
I didn't see a GS in the clip, or any other bike for that matter.
Where the fuck did my post go wrong?

Undiyasi
You posted it on Wild Dogs... a surprising percentage veer off topic by #4... :mwink:

Offline JacoM

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 11:39:29 am »
Hi Rynet,
You hit the nail on the head with your comments re continous BMW bashing by certain people which is supposedly "true" offroad riders.

I am finding it difficult not to respond immediately and will take a few minutes...

I came to the conclusion the fact that certain people is drawn to all BMW threads while he/she does not own one and/or make an effort to make negative comments (mostly unasked for) about BMW's on most other threads, has lessor to do with the bikes but maybe more with the wittnessing of behaviour of the typical BMW owner. This behaviour is also more noted in the Stellenbosh region where the social split between the "have" and "have not" traditionally is quite obvious and can lead to the fueling of anger if wittnessed over many years. Note: you will see BMW riders in full offroad kit, panniors, etc. on the latest spec ADV, riding around town on tar only. (Kitted at +R200k)

I have owned many makes of bikes (currently "older" model 1200GS) and can truly say that the BMW GS designers did not intend to built a bike to compare with a plastic , or any smaller bike. The BMW GS is 100% a on/and offroad tourer - we in South Africa is using it right at the outside tolerance of the design spec and it is time we admitt this. (I have done a few GS Challenges and this was the comments of all the foreigners that I was preveilaged to meet at these venues. )

I can obviously go on and on and on...

You will notice that I do not mention any names as I do not want to make it a personnel issue, but I do believe enough is really enough.

Offline DeonDj

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bethlehem
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2011, 11:44:55 am »
Ek like jou post Jaco,well said!
The bike is just a blank page, the rider is the writer, the road is the ink....

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 12:14:14 pm »
What you guys do not know, although I have mentioned it in passing, is that I am possibly the only Wilddog to have earned a living riding BMW's. You use your bikes to play with, but if they have to do real work, they are kak. Admittedly these were 1987 R80RT's, and maybe BMW have made a huge leap in biking, but back then they were unreliable. One reason for a BMW to last is the fact that their owners are more often than not well to do pofessionals[as pointed out in someones have/have-nots in Stellenbosch post], get their bikes religiously serviced and on these services items often get replaced as matter of course. Why else is the GS commonly known as the old mans motorcycle?
It is only on this forum that a GS is mentioned in the same line as a superbike! Or in the same line as aplastic.
I do not like BMW's for practical reasons stated[poor old Don Fullard from Trefco], and if you cannot handle that avoid my posts. But no, the eye gets drawn.

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »
What you guys do not know, although I have mentioned it in passing, is that I am possibly the only Wilddog to have earned a living riding BMW's. You use your bikes to play with, but if they have to do real work, they are kak. Admittedly these were 1987 R80RT's, and maybe BMW have made a huge leap in biking, but back then they were unreliable. One reason for a BMW to last is the fact that their owners are more often than not well to do pofessionals[as pointed out in someones have/have-nots in Stellenbosch post], get their bikes religiously serviced and on these services items often get replaced as matter of course. Why else is the GS commonly known as the old mans motorcycle?
It is only on this forum that a GS is mentioned in the same line as a superbike! Or in the same line as aplastic.
I do not like BMW's for practical reasons stated[poor old Don Fullard from Trefco], and if you cannot handle that avoid my posts. But no, the eye gets drawn.

I'm genuinely interested in the concept of your having used the bikes for work. What line of work are you referring to and what would have been the alternatives at the time?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

KobusL

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2011, 01:09:08 pm »
get their bikes religiously serviced and on these services items often get replaced as matter of course.

What a kak reason to slate BMW's and/or their owners continuously  :imaposer:

I believe this is good practice with ANYTHING mechanical.
Until someone convinces me I am being stupid I am currently doing this for a BMW, 2 x Yamaha's, a Honda and various other means of transport, and over the years it seems to have served me well.

In fact, I have two friends in transport, one does preventative maintenance whenever a truck is in the yard, while the other one waits for things to break before he often travels far and odd hours to do repairs.
Which one do you think is the most successful?

Or should I wait until something breaks before I fix it?

Offline J-mo

• Race Dog
  • Get up one more time!!!
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2011, 01:20:07 pm »

I rode a 1986 R80RT for a couple of years and the only thing that's the same is the fact the both are flat twins. There are absolute no comparisson between my 2009 GSA (77kw) and the R80RT(42kw), not is road handling, not in comfort and definitely not in performance.
Getting lost during an adventure is a relative term. It all depends if you're enjoying it.

Offline JVR

• Race Dog
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »
So accept trying to be funny you haven't got a reason?
Life's not short,it is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2011, 01:52:20 pm »
Rynet, first of all, you meant to say that the GS is one of the quickest D/S bikes in a pass, and this is in agreement with what I've been "bashing" GS's about, it is 90% roadbike. If they are in fact so quick in the corners of a pass[a remark I've heard before], why are they so dreadfully slow in the corners around Killarney? I am happy you are selling yours, the GS is selling you short as a rider.

I have been with you on that ride where we ended up on a mountain bike trail and afterwards through Sir Lowreys I scraped the pegs past you guys on the way home no ?

Granted - there were 3 times where the big GS wasn't the best option - the one was over that tree stump (1 of the three) where I ran out of steam and the Anakee didn't want to grip to take it over.
The other two times was where the left hand 'pot' didn't like the narrow lane and the protruding rocks, but to be fair one needs to point out that I wasn't really planning on doing that last bit.
And a normal DS bike on a mountain bike single track in Grabouw is already stretching it.
Apart from those 3 incidents there were nowhere where I struggled.
Not the rest of the single tracks, not that steep downhill. Not really anywhere.
One or two corners I had to go back and redo - a little bit of Anakee at the back and a little bit of people stopping in the middle of the road breaking momentum can do that.
;D

All in all that day I really enjoyed everything that that day offered. If I was on my own I wouldn't have done the very last bit and I probably wouldn't have done that 2nd to last bit next to the river on the single track over the tree stump, but for the rest I was never uncomfortable or wished for a smaller bike.
Then you add to that the fact that through the mountain passes you can hold your own against most superbikes out there I really feel that it deserves the term 'Dual Sport'.
Fast in the rough it is not, but if you are careful you can get it through most things.
And without struggling too much.

and maybe BMW have made a huge leap in biking, but back then they were unreliable. One reason for a BMW to last is the fact that their owners are more often than not well to do pofessionals[as pointed out in someones have/have-nots in Stellenbosch post], get their bikes religiously serviced and on these services items often get replaced as matter of course.

So you base you BMW hatred on how they were in the 70's/80's ?

My 1100 had a hard life.
It was a privately owned bike up to about 50 000km - then it became the Trefco run around, then the Hamman runaround - then I bought it from then at 95 000km.
I crashed it stupidly when it had 165000km on and by that time (in its life) it had a crown bearing replaced in the shaft and 1 clutch replacement.

It hardly used oil and it went like stink.

My 1200 had a hard life as well.
It's been drowned once, it went all over Africa, it went through a lot of weird places two up and heavily loaded and it has seen the red line quite often.

In its life it had a ring gear replaced (misplaced attempt at starting after drowning), clutch replaced and at 100 000km it had the final drive redone (good as new) for R5500.

Besides that it has never missed a beat.

You need to look at the percentage of self destructing 1200 engines vs the amount sold also to put things into perspective.

You should not judge something that you don't/can't/won't understand.

To some of us the big GS is no compromise.
It is fun allround.
To me the bike is capable, fast, powerfull, able, willing and mostly fun.

I doubt if I will ever do anything more 'offroad' on it than that day in Grabouw or the trip through Groenrivier and that (apart from the things mentioned) was not only doable, but also fun and relaxing for me.
The point is - I can hit the road early in the morning to a single track in the Garden Route, go and play around to my heart's content in the forests and lovely areas there, have lunch and drive back to be in time for supper - and all of that with one fuel stop in each direction and no need to monitor the oil level all the time and with my wife on the back.

And that I could have done also with my >10 year old 1100 with over 160 000km on the clock.

If that doesn't qualify for dual sport then I don't know what will...
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:18 pm »
Sorry for the hijack...

:(
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »
Fantastic...now everyone feels better!  :thumleft:  :3some:
So who's bringing their dumbass HD's & hated BMW's to the WC Bash....
Lets ride! :thumleft:

Sorry for the hijack! ;)
'Routine is the thief of time'