Ride reports integrity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metaljockey

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
I just checked out Superjuice's Buff report https://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6036&highlight= again as it kept coming up (scuse the pun).

Unfortunately the report which I had enjoyed before had turned into:
Real men have control over these things
don't think you have a right to preach
you have no fucking right to take any moral high ground on anything
a fucking anal, preaching do gooder
I wonder if you will talk like you write if I ever had the priviledge of meeting you
we can meet and I can assure you that if you try and preach to me in person, I'll tell you to fuck off

Now I've got a sour taste in my mouth (scuse the pun again).

I do not visit the Ride Report section to see this kind of thing. I visit expecting to read stuff and look at pictures that will give me joy, or amaze me, or make me laugh or learn about places I need to see.

When I read the report the first time I also felt uncomfortable about the puking scene. Then I figured, hey, it's a ride report, SJ is not holding back on relating his experience. It's real life, not fiction nor fake. I respect that. A good ride report needs to be honest and forthright so as to be able to make the reader 'feel' it. Anything less is not good enough.

SGB clearly felt a little stronger about it. He also felt that the issue of the 'biker image' should be discussed. Fair enough. But this is a RIDE REPORT, not a biker image discussion. A new topic preferably in Jou Ma (it will inevitably escalate) would have been the better option.

Everyone who has done a ride report knows that it is a fair amount of work. It should not be sullied by replies from others.
A lot of visitors to this site read these reports, a lot of people (like myself) like to reread the reports. None of them/us want to read about personal spats. The internet is already overrun with badly managed sites where 13 year olds run riot.

I would like to propose a Ride Reports rule.
If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing. If you have a problem with the author, pm him (or e-mail or phone or ride over to his house). If you feel that your problem is of general interest, then start a thread.

I would also support a motion that the mods summarily delete posts that transgress.

Thank you for letting me say my piece.