Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Info, tracks, waypoints needed for De Wildt  (Read 726 times)

Offline Zerc

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Pretoria
Info, tracks, waypoints needed for De Wildt
« on: April 10, 2007, 11:04:02 am »
After reading the ride reports and especially last Monday's Paddling in da River, I would like to play around and also gain off-road experience at De Wildt. The only problem is that it's quite a large area and I don't know where all the fun areas are or how to get to them, places like the river and Koos se Klim  (not that I plan to go up it but I'd like to see it in person). If somebody has them I would appreciate it you would email me co-ordinates and tracks of the areas of interest in De Wildt. I have seen the post from January mentioning the no-go areas and plan to avoid those roads.

My email address is chris(dot)fowler(at)gijima(dot)com.

Thanks

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:07:10 am »
Just don't go at it alone. :wink:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Zerc

• Pack Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 11:11:48 am »
Geez JM, that was quick, aren't you supposed to be working like the rest of us :) Definitely don't plan to do it alone. Ever since I did the BMW offroad course and the bike landed on my ankle trapping me I've been made aware of the dangers of solo offroading.

shark_za

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 11:26:47 am »
Best to go there with people who know the area, you could get hopelessly lost.
Before you ride the area north of De Wildt, cover the canal roads and dirt roads around it. Just to set the scene and give you some bearings.
De Wildt area is massive, the area we ride with DS bikes is way out in the north of its reaches, we dont ride DS bikes in the more common offroad areas.

To start on the canals , goto the big 4 way stop by the dam, the one with the Engen. Head down the R560 towards the R511, after you cross the crocodile river you will cross over a small bridge over a canal, hit a left here and follow this canal road till you get to a railway.
Here you need to get AROUND this railway and join the canal on the other side again.
At the railway, turn right , jump on the tar , left, left and then right onto the canal again.

This leads all the way through a small suburb of Brits, then a village.
Keep going, crossing tar roads when you get to them, keeping the canal close.

This route should keep you entertained for a long time.
At the end of these canals are some awesome dirt highways, one of these leads to the village by the rock.
Start at the canals and explore from there.  There is also the 1st canal that starts before you cross the crocodile river, this heads west and is also a great ride.

For De Wildt proper, goto Morula Sun , there is a little mountain near there with a few trails. I suggest the easiest ones, there is a dirt road leading to the top of the mountain on the Southern Side.
To get there, turn right out the Morula gate, first right, them turn left into the 2nd road. This will join some dirt and you need to zig zag there to the top of the hill.
At the top it T junctions with a path, left will take you to an easy route called coconuts, right down longrocks. These are hectic and I suggest the easier way.
Turn right and then in about 50m or so, take a left.
This reaches a fork , left is a mild route down, right is medium.
Go there early, it might take a while on a BMW DS bike.  
Your BMW should be fine  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline Zerc

• Pack Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 11:41:49 am »
Thanks Shark! Sounds like this will keep me, Noble Steed and Tulip busy for quite a while.

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:44:36 pm »
Shark, just a question here - I saw a couple of complete off-road bikes in the report this morning - do they trailer in and off-load, or are they local, or where do they ride from - I think it would be advisable to start on a smaller bike here for me, thanks

Offline mapeterpan

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:54:09 pm »
As far as i know, there are only two advisable places to park trailers and the works. Old de Wildt police station (S 25 37.624   E 27 56.831) and Marula Sun. We parked at the police station with no problems. Saw a "secure parking" across the road which i would consider next time.

Maybe come join us on the newb run weekend of the 21st ? Even after our last run i still wouldnt be able to find my way along that road again  :lol:

Offline Zerc

• Pack Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 01:06:03 pm »
Is the ride on the 21st mentioned on the Planning a Tour/Trip forum as I don't see it there?

shark_za

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 01:38:22 pm »
I must still post it, but it will be for offroad bikes only.
The terrain is a bit rough for a dual purpose.

I'm still clearing a pass for the ride with my wife, need to drop her at the airport at 14H00 that day so it could be a problem.

digitaldan organised that we meet some of his mates at the police station on our way to the riverbed.
This is the first time we ever did that, best to keep the types of bikes seperate as the abilities are so different.

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 01:43:53 pm »
OK, great, will keep looking for final details, thanks

shark_za

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 01:51:43 pm »
Zerc, I was just joking with the directions around Morula, those paths are some of the most hectic I have ever ridden and I would bet nearly impossible on a DS bike.  

So go early !   :lol:

Offline Zerc

• Pack Dog
  • Pretoria
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 02:05:11 pm »
Shark, I remember seeing some pictures of Coconuts and that looked a bit rough to me but, hey, maybe I'm just underestimating my ability  :lol: I see now that I saw the pictures in your post "De Wildt again - The tortoise and the shark" I hope the other route you mentioned by the canal is not as difficult. I'm just looking for a nice easy noobie type ride so that I can at least practice a bit.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 02:11:54 pm »
The canals are great  for noob runs...i really enjoy it each time i ride it..

shark_za

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 02:13:48 pm »
Thats why I pointed you in the direction of the canals, great riding to get into it.
Once you know the area around the end of the canals, then you can start looking at the riverbeds and such.