Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: *How do you rate <<YOUR>> skill level? (POLL)  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Makhulu

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: *How do you rate <<YOUR>> skill level? (POLL)
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »
I won't ride that track with a GSA. Maybe try it with my TA. Definitely give it a go with my WR450.

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
:imaposer: ill give you R1m if you can ride diamant with your TA! :imaposer:

Offline Makhulu

• Pack Dog
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 05:35:20 pm »

Diamant?

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 05:48:36 pm »
Yes, thats the track in the pic I posted

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »
Really ..............whats the point of this poll? ???

Everybody is being very polite and modest. Where are the ' I'm F$&^$&Cking Brilliant guys' out there? If someone thinks he's the shit on a bike than we would most would probably think he's a tosser for saying so?)

(if Bluebull2007 did that rally in Brazil, then surely he's average must be higher?)

How can some of you be crap on tar but not bad off-road? does not make sense.

......or are we just becoming old and carefull? ( Where's Etiiene2T - he's always confidant with his statements?).....maybe there should be an age catagory around the averages???

.....still don't see the bigger picture of this poll. ???

Chairman (your nickname is Awesome bTW) I dont know where my average is.... :dontknow: So I would have to agree with you.

Give me a 450 and I will probably be above average on a fast, widing track, but maybe below average on a tough Etienne/2SD/Sharkza type enduro/trial. I guess in a race you know where you are so someone like Etienne could say he is top notch (in the novice category?) because he has the placing to prove it late last year. Similarly coming 8th in my class in an FIM might put me in the above average category, but below average if we take the years results into account because I only entered one of the events.

I guess seeing this is a DS site maybe we are talking about a riding DS bikes on an extended route through southern Africa. Now do we benchmark ourselves against a route like the one we saw in Angola its not like they said, or on perhaps an easier one with a bit of Verneukpan in the mud like we saw in Rynets report ??? <edit>Not so say that Vernuekpan under water is easy, its not!  Im sure there would be some who would do well in the one but not in the other.

I use these two RR's as benchmark on a bike 200kg bike (yes a BIG bike Dan, not a crappy little 2 wheeler with a sewing machine for an engine ;D), then perhaps I might measure be above average. Even this is subjective because I have not ridden with many of you. I might be a pissie on a bike and you might all be super-adventurers for all I know!?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:40:42 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 07:08:10 pm »
I am between a newbie and Marc Coma.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 07:29:24 pm »
No-one will have the privilage of seeing me on a GS :peepwall:
Unless it is for charity.
I have made a point of entering competitions in every discipline of bikesport I could. I rode 4years of enduros, I did 2years of foot-ups[trials], I did a year of roadracing at Killarney, 4years of W/Tvl Aussie bike racing at Springvale in Stilfontein, MX in the early 80's, Speedway style racing, I tried all and not just trackdays, but actual organised racing. You know what? I found out that I'm just average in that world.
Like Shark said, go race and learn what average means.

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »

I guess seeing this is a DS site maybe we are talking about a riding DS bikes on an extended route through southern Africa.

......lets just wait for Ettiene2T to finish showing off..........done?.......ok great.,,

If we are talking about general DS riding, once again I feel this poll is pointless.

Is DS riding not really just about the ability to travel where the tar road ends and to see this (or any other ) beautiful country of ours on the back of a motorcycle.

There seem to be this silent (but really loud) insider competition of who rides what, how fast. how gnarly, what extreme terrain etc etc, which seems more at home on some sort of enduro/roof/romaniacs type forum for teenagers.

Some have boasted before of clocking 200 on gravel highways,(and then still argue between clock speed and GPS speed wtf?) or traveling up bike breaking terrain to prove what exactly??

...That you have shit load of money and can replace bikes on the drop of a hat?, or that you value your life only up to the point of hitting some or other gravel highway obstacle at breakneck speed?  (instant Hero status?)

Any half wit fool knows that in order to any job properly you need the right tool......and the right tool does make difficult task much easier..,.. point being that unless you have the exact tool for each application (ie 10 different bikes) then no problem,but for the rest make due with what you have and at least use that one tool (bike) to the best of your abilities, whatever that might be.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:04:12 pm by Chairman Meow »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 08:13:11 pm »
Chairman, I am one of the forum members most guilty of what you guys like to call dickswinging. In pre-school we raced each other on foot, then came bicycles and the race was on again. Then onto motorbikes and guess what? We raced each other again. So perhaps my bragging on here is after all not so much dickswinging as it is a redblooded need to do some friendly competition. This is so normal it's not even funny.
As for this thread, completely impossible to measure, unless we have a NATIONAL SKILLS BASH!!!!!!!!!
Hoelykit?

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2011, 08:20:36 pm »
2SD - Some people can dickswing with a fair amount of tongue in cheek and knowing fairly well and their limits and size...........then there are those for whom dickswinging is just a cover up for the real their real size issues....

......I believe you would fall in the first catagory. ..(I think  :peepwall:  ;D)   

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:32 pm »
Thank you Chairman, I was sort of expecting a sharper tongue :mwink:, I tend to agree with you, but on a forum like this, how do you ever know who is good and at what level. This is why I have invited Wilddogs to meet at Maccassar for time trial, funrides,etc, in this fashion you can see who is who and then know who to ask along on a fast ride and when you will have to go slowly in a group.
On my 1st ride on Andy660"s alt. route, a WD came up to me about halfway on the route and asked me why I'm riding at the back, cause he thought I was a fast guy. If you're in a relatively slow group, do'nt try to be Travis Pastrana. I've seen Andy move it up for short bursts and I can tell you he is fast, yet you never see him leave the group behind, always wait up regularly.
What about a local WD enduro series? Unofficial, at Macassar, Atlantis, Quarry, with different classes. Your mouths will hang open about who is quick and who is dick :xxbah:

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »
Please don't things said on this forum too seriously..it is just the internet btw.

Offline Plothond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »
Enter some competitive riding to be put in your place.

A Trial or and Enduro to open your eyes to what you think is above average.

Spot on !!!!

I really thought I was the bees knees

I remember training my ass off in Dec 2008 / Jan 2009. In February 2009 I entered my first race.
Hells Bells !!!! - was I brought down to size !
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2011, 10:03:57 pm »
Well for what its worth I started another thread where a I'm hoping we can compare apples with apples. (Hope you don't mind J-Dog!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:04:19 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:54 pm »

I think it is important to remember what the essence is of adventure riding and the Wild Dog fraternity. As competitive as we may all be in a jocular sort of way, I believe that actual any competition (apart from a technical skills challenge) has no real place in dual-sport riding.  

Enduro and MX are different beasts entirely.

my point exactly.   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:55:44 pm by Chairman Meow »

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:14 pm »
Hehe yeah he seems like a real chop!

Offline shark_za

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • KTM 300
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2011, 07:39:42 am »
Rating with competition is also a klomp stront.

Fast is not everything. Fast can be faked with dumb.
Is a trials rider a better rider than a motoGp ?
Does a MX rider make a good enduro rider?

In each type of riding there are skills required, all of them come together in DS I think.

KobusL

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2011, 08:07:35 am »
I rated myself as "well below average" after reading through the thread and comparing my skills to the talk here.

Then, this morning I thought, I ride through Woodstock in peak hour daily, surely that must count for something?

Offline King Louis

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2011, 11:36:31 am »
Following the Dakar videos, I noticed that Marc Coma does some of my moves......particularly when he came off.... :imaposer:

Nah, seriously, I think that average would descibe me pretty well. Done the courses and all, green, orange and red routes on the GS challenges, but I can't say I feel comfortable at the difficult stages.

Need a small bike to practice and get more confidence which I would use when on the big baby.

Offline Makhulu

• Pack Dog
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2011, 04:51:25 pm »

OK. Put the money in escrow with a trusted 3rd party. PM me for details.