INXON Series 2011 - Rnd 1 warmbaths

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johang

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Last year I planned to do a few Off-road events, but with the weekend schedule being hectic and some unplanned forced “rest” periods I did not get to it.  This year, after completing the last forced “rest” period I decided to just jump into it.  Hoping that I learned some valuable lessons last year I joined the GOC club and did the MSA National License thing.

Shaun Bestbier (Ou Hond) joined in and we scrambled to get everything done in the last week before Round 1 at Warmbaths.  Spoke to people that did it last year and consulted e-Dirt.  The main theme of concern seemed to be the amount of rain before the weekend.

But, the wet were not the problem, except maybe the crowd teaser at the end with the two jumps, water holes and drenched take-off and landing areas.  See Plothond’s pictures https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=63510.0

Was also good to see some other dogs at the race such as Splash, Plothond, etc

And then we started, based on entry I started in row 35.  Each row had 5 bikes to it.  First few rows all the seeded riders from last year and then based upon your entry.  Still better than Ou Hond in row 55 or something.  Then we started 30 seconds apart.

There was lots of dust, quad width two tracks up and down the mountains with some level of technical riding.  Coming from a motocross background, doing the transitioning to Offroad is quite an interesting experience.  At some stages you have to remind yourself that you are actually racing and not out on some joy-ride.

Fitness was the key “distracting factor" having not ridden off-road since August last year. 

Here are some pics

The support team, without them it is very difficult, cause this type of riding has the nasty affect of making the rider very tired.

IMG_0859.jpg

Some fast paced areas outside the mountains

92_0302.jpg

E5AA7148.jpg

E5AA7151.jpg

Coming in to complete the first lap, spectator area

IMG_0897.jpg

Pit crew were a well oiled machine, here doing Ou Hond’s and Nico’s bike

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

And then it was all over, seems like I could have done another three laps on the fuel left (main tank under the seat still full…)

IMG_1021.jpg

Derick taking a breather after finishing all three loops.

IMG_0944.jpg

Next one is coming up on the 19th at Radium, hmmmm