Desperate Dan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
OK, I know my name's not Dan but I'm still desperate for some off-road riding. This past winter has dragged on for WAY too long and now that we have some pretty decent weather I'm dying to get out there and ride. Spotted a MotoX track not too far from where I live when on the way home on Monday so I made a mental note to go investigate. But first, I got home just after lunch on Tuesday so I thought I'd go and play in the field above my home. We're not allowed to ride there and I have been chased by the cops there before but I thought I'd take my chances. Unfortunately I don't have many pics especially since I was on my own and I wanted to cover as much ground as possible before the cops arrive.

KLR by the dam. The AT is currently off the road because Maverick borrowed the rear wheel (his AT's wheel bearings were stuffed) and the steering head bearings are buggered.
DSC01212.jpg

Road to the dam
DSC01215.jpg

Field - this was taken during a previous visit with Maverick. This area has been pretty churned up by cars so there are a lot of ruts which is not my cup of tea. Still better than tar though.
DSC00003.jpg

Played around on these humps a bit - again a photo from a previous ride. Picture taken by Maverick.
DSC00213.jpg

Then today I left work early to go explore the MotoX track. Unfortunately the place was all locked up but I did get the name of the place so a few phone calls will be made soon.

Picture of the track on Google Earth
MotoXtrackA20.jpg

The track from behind a locked gate :(
DSC01220.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

DSC01222.jpg

Desperate (this is getting repetitive..) to get some dirt under my wheels I opted to go explore a lane I found the other day not much further from where I live. It's no surprise that we're not allowed to ride there but I figured the chances of the cops turning up are pretty remote and I'd checked out a couple of escape routes beforehand. The part of the lane I rode is 639m long according to Google and doesn't have much going for it apart from a small dry dam with a wall to climb. There are two different tracks for the rest of the lane which run parallel - one smooth and slightly muddy at times and the other a path covered with loose rocks up to golf ball size. I found the easiest way to deal with the "rocky" path is to stand up and keep the speed up to allow the lower CoG and gyroscopic forces to do their thing. Made a note to see if I can stiffen the KLR's shock a bit as it was threatening to bottom out at times. I must admit I had a ball and often wondered whether it's wise to be travelling at those speeds on a narrow track all by myself. Fortunately I live to tell the tale.

Aerial view thanks to Google
Lane-Google.jpg

Which track to take?
DSC01224.jpg

The "rocky" track
DSC01223.jpg

Feeling slightly better now but I think it's time to organise a proper all-day outing again. Very soon!