Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Triumph 800 test ride  (Read 4657 times)

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
Re: New Triumph 800 test ride
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 04:59:02 pm »
The salesman at Triumph Fourways took my F800 for a spin, he had never ridden one  :drif: . His comment was: Excellent brakes, there's more weight on the front wheel than the Triumph and the BM has a more active low end, the benefit of the parallel twin.

I've done quite a bit to my bike so it's not comparable to the standard 800. Very important to me is the piece of mind I get from the excellent service I've had with Northside. They are a good outfit. Never had to wait for spares, services and always had rapid turnaround.

So the whole package deal is affordability, quality, durability, extendability, serviceability, rideability, saleability, looker, safety, availability of parts and accessories. I get all of that so I'm a happy chappie  :laughing4:

I don't understand this - care to explain?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:59:56 pm by letsgofishing »
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline popipants

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I came; I saw; I slept
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 05:07:08 pm »
The salesman at Triumph Fourways took my F800 for a spin, he had never ridden one  :drif: . His comment was: Excellent brakes, there's more weight on the front wheel than the Triumph and the BM has a more active low end, the benefit of the parallel twin.

I've done quite a bit to my bike so it's not comparable to the standard 800. Very important to me is the piece of mind I get from the excellent service I've had with Northside. They are a good outfit. Never had to wait for spares, services and always had rapid turnaround.

So the whole package deal is affordability, quality, durability, extendability, serviceability, rideability, saleability, looker, safety, availability of parts and accessories. I get all of that so I'm a happy chappie  :laughing4:

It's dealer talk for "goes like hell!!"

I think he ment it has more lower down torque.
Which is a good thing for offroad riding.
I've been on the Jameson diet for a week, so far I've lost 7 days....

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 05:08:30 pm »
The salesman at Triumph Fourways took my F800 for a spin, he had never ridden one  :drif: . His comment was: Excellent brakes, there's more weight on the front wheel than the Triumph and the BM has a more active low end, the benefit of the parallel twin.

So the whole package deal is affordability, quality, durability, extendability, serviceability, rideability, saleability, looker, safety, availability of parts and accessories. I get all of that so I'm a happy chappie  :laughing4:

It's dealer talk for "goes like hell!!"

I think he ment it has more lower down torque.
Which is a good thing for offroad riding.

Thanks!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »
I must agree, the GS does have more low down grunt, but once you are used to the power characteristics of the Tiger it is fine...it just has to be ridden a bit more aggressively....
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 06:07:02 pm »
The GS can putt around at low revs (if you can control that throttle), as can the Tiger, but when you twist the ear from idle the GS has a bit more urgency to a point.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline drewdza

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • world leader pretend
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 06:16:02 pm »
The GS can putt around at low revs (if you can control that throttle), as can the Tiger, but when you twist the ear from idle the GS has a bit more urgency to a point.

a "point" being ~2000rpm  :D
800XC

Offline Pote

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 06:21:59 pm »

a "point" being ~2000rpm  :D
I am by no mean an experienced rider, I had no problem with the frottle on my 800gs from when I bought the bike up till now, I find it best to use 1 finger only on the clutch, but for the Triumph I cannot comment as I had not had an opertunity to test the bike yet, I also do not give a damn it it sell more units than the Beemer or if everyone tells me that it is a better better bike than mine, I bought the Beemer because I like it.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »
It would be unfair to say the Tiger is 'better' than the GS, both have their strengths...there might not be many GS owners that will sell and then buy a Tiger, but it certainly opens up the market wrt options out there. Before there was not anything else in the 800 market, if you did not want a large 1200 or felt a 650 was too small, you bought an 800, and there was only one choice....now there are 3...the GS, the Tiger and the Tiger XC....the Tiger is not a detuned version of the XC at least....just a bit lower with road biased wheels....but still full power... 8)

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 07:20:47 pm »
It would be unfair to say the Tiger is 'better' than the GS, both have their strengths...there might not be many GS owners that will sell and then buy a Tiger, but it certainly opens up the market wrt options out there. Before there was not anything else in the 800 market, if you did not want a large 1200 or felt a 650 was too small, you bought an 800, and there was only one choice....now there are 3...the GS, the Tiger and the Tiger XC....the Tiger is not a detuned version of the XC at least....just a bit lower with road biased wheels....but still full power... 8)
You're sofening up... :deal: :)
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline darkhelmet

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • Bas in Africa blog
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 07:40:54 pm »
I'm very curious about the Triumph.

Havent ridden the F800GS yet, but I'm biased since I'm a Triumph rider right now.
From my Street Triple, I know what the potential is of a 3 cylinder. Its got torque like no 600 4-inline has on the low-down.
The Tiger has a longer stroke, so that should mean more torque if I'm correct.

I see it as the ideal replacement for my Street Triple. Cant wait to ride one.
But I'm also very curious about build quality and it's weakspots in design.

Weakspots are no problem for me, IF it can be improved/replaced in a reasonable fashion.
Like the Africa Twin: seat is shit, fuel pump kak, regulator/rectifier is crap. But all can be modded fairly easy. Leaves nothing but a very reliable bike!

In general I believe that a bike is considered good and reliable if the production/model lasts for many years without major changes and problems in reliability. (again, see Africa Twin or just any Honda for that matter  :P). BMW isnt kak, it's just not Honda. I'm not sure yet where to place Triumph...

So let's start a topic in another 5 years and see where we're at  ;D

Offline sweetspot

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bachelor Hound
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »
booked at 4ways !
The Freedom of my voice lies not in my democratic cross  , but in the power of my pocket.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:26 pm »
I rode both 800's today, and I liked them.

Firstly, there is no reason to buy the standard 800 instead of the XC, unless you are three feet high and can't touch the floor on the higher XC.

The power doesn't come as quickly as a twin at low RPM, but this is made up for by the fact that it has a more consistent power band after that. We took it around the handling track at Gerotek, and it both models handling well, but better road tyres would've helped.
The pic below was taken at the mountain course. Suspension works. Well.  :thumleft:

I didn't find any problems with the brakes. BMW has that horrible brake assist rubbish that makes it bite quicker, but also makes it jerky at low speeds and less controllable on gravel. Thank you Triumph for not putting that junk on the Tiger!

The Triumph doesn't sound like an industrial vacuum cleaner, so that is certainly better than the BMW.  ;D

Overall, is it better than the BMW? Well, if you don't like BMW's, and you don't want to be classified as a sheep, then yes. If you have a BMW, and you like it, then keep it and enjoy.

Just once I wish someone would build a really bad bike so I can rip it apart, dammit!  :BangHead:

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »
I rode both 800's today, and I liked them.

Firstly, there is no reason to buy the standard 800 instead of the XC, unless you are three feet high and can't touch the floor on the higher XC.

The power doesn't come as quickly as a twin at low RPM, but this is made up for by the fact that it has a more consistent power band after that. We took it around the handling track at Gerotek, and it both models handling well, but better road tyres would've helped.
The pic below was taken at the mountain course. Suspension works. Well.  :thumleft:

I didn't find any problems with the brakes. BMW has that horrible brake assist rubbish that makes it bite quicker, but also makes it jerky at low speeds and less controllable on gravel. Thank you Triumph for not putting that junk on the Tiger!

The Triumph doesn't sound like an industrial vacuum cleaner, so that is certainly better than the BMW.  ;D

Overall, is it better than the BMW? Well, if you don't like BMW's, and you don't want to be classified as a sheep, then yes. If you have a BMW, and you like it, then keep it and enjoy.

Just once I wish someone would build a really bad bike so I can rip it apart, dammit!  :BangHead:

Sorry, here be the pic:

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 08:53:13 pm »
Gee hom gas johanna, kan sien dis nie joune nie  :laughing4: >:D

When I was on one it felt as if there is a gap problem between the gear with rider boots on, like its a tight fit.
However it can be changed.
On another forum its mentioned about a rear tire hugger or something cause your pants get splashed etc from behind?

Then the gap between the front wheel and the front tire hugger thing loooks really small, any problems.

O love this bike

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:09 pm »
Gee hom gas johanna, kan sien dis nie joune nie  :laughing4: >:D

When I was on one it felt as if there is a gap problem between the gear with rider boots on, like its a tight fit.
However it can be changed.
On another forum its mentioned about a rear tire hugger or something cause your pants get splashed etc from behind?

Then the gap between the front wheel and the front tire hugger thing loooks really small, any problems.

O love this bike

Gideon...your ass won't look big on a Tiger promise.... :biggrin:in fact it will suit you very well....I know you like a bike with 'soul'....the Tiger has soul.... 8)

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:51 pm »
 :imaposer:  :laughing4:
I saw that when I was kuiering with the boys of mean-machine.
I liked it when it was still in draft.
3 Cylinder
Constant tongue.
21' Front wheel 17" Rear
Two brake disks front
Nice eyes not the moegoe expression you see these days.
Lovely lovely
One day my friend 

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »
bird in flight...

reminds me of:

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 10:48:39 pm »
Saw in the Superbike mag the review nice read.
However did you see the nice triumph t-shirt on the product manager.
I want one so while I dont have it I can pretend to be it.
Not like IDR thats getting the TIGER you lucky ar :peepwall:e

Offline Berty77

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 10:52:41 pm »
Damn , I want to hear this thing with a nice oval yoshi or FMF on. Full taps lifting the front in second, O the music.
Hoenervleis op my ............. ou maat.
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 05:31:37 am »
OK, so the Triumph has a decent review so far. By all accounts there's nothing of significance to be concerned or unhappy about, well maybe: the 4 month waiting list for stock. There's quite a few things that need to be checked off before you can complete the owners satisfaction profile. Time Will be the determining factor for the rest - quality, reliability, durability, serviceability, parts availability, adding on the extras.

The F800 has passed all of those with flying colours IMO. Testimony to the quality and reliability are the 30 bikes that took part in the recent GS trophy, where there was not a single mechanical failure! That's quite a bench mark. Good luck Triumph!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC