Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New Triumph 800 test ride  (Read 4656 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: New Triumph 800 test ride
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2011, 06:31:29 am »
Sweetspot, perhaps the engine width does not matter, since these bikes are clearly meant for open, good surfaced roads. If you want to go into more technical riding like Kamanya, Michiel and others on their D/S bikes, engine width becomes very important. An enduro bike will never be more than a single and you'll NEVER find it's cylinders sticking out sideways!
PS, if engine width does'nt matter, then why not get Suzuki to build a D/S with their jewel of a 1000cc GSX-R?

Offline MrBig

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2011, 07:00:26 am »
Only BMW and Harley Davidson riders need their indicator buttons to be at each end of the bar
Else how would they know which side is left and which side is right?   :D
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2011, 07:33:58 am »
Sweetspot, perhaps the engine width does not matter, since these bikes are clearly meant for open, good surfaced roads. If you want to go into more technical riding like Kamanya, Michiel and others on their D/S bikes, engine width becomes very important. An enduro bike will never be more than a single and you'll NEVER find it's cylinders sticking out sideways!
PS, if engine width does'nt matter, then why not get Suzuki to build a D/S with their jewel of a 1000cc GSX-R?

Aprillia RXV 450/550 ?  >:D :deal:
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline sweetspot

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Bachelor Hound
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2011, 08:17:39 am »

Adventure riding and comuting which constitutes the broader market and I think which the XC is targeted for and competition for the Twin , the wider crank is negligable in terms of good or bad , I use my twin to do both comuting and adventure riding . If a Pro enduro rider explained the pro's and con's of a wider or shorter crank it is still not going to change anything for the normal guy in the street which the bike is aimed for, but interessting point would like to hear from the pro's what the differences are.

The true test will be doind a long trip and then compare to one's own experiece but thus far it is comparing very well against the Twin . Anybody able to arrange a 200-300km trip on dirt , :3some: please :3some:  :drif:put my name on the list
P.S . If possible book a Demo , garuanteed you will be surprised .
The Freedom of my voice lies not in my democratic cross  , but in the power of my pocket.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2011, 08:21:25 am »
the longer crank really just makes the bottom-end of the motor wider, which compromises ground clearance (regardless of how much ground clearance there is between the ground and the motor).  Ask boxer owners who have tried to ride through two large rocks in close proximity ;D
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2011, 08:21:29 am »
Only BMW and Harley Davidson riders need their indicator buttons to be at each end of the bar

:imaposer:
And the tossels dont forget the tossels.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2011, 08:25:00 am »
that is not my problem, my thumb is just too short to reach the indicator without changing position of my hand....but then we know that all the Dogs have LONG thumbs.... >:D

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Rolf

• Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
  • Previously known as Vilaishima
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2011, 08:25:42 am »
Sweetspot was still smiling last night from all the fun he  had with the triumph!!! i am amazed that they stuck that old indicator system on such a lekker bike? surely surely that could be changed?

It is not an old indicator system but the correct indicator system. The throttle/front brake hand should never be worried with fiddling with indicator buttons.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:26:10 am by Rolf »
Now:  Royal Enfield Classic Chrome

Previously:  Zongshen 200GY - Aprilia Pegaso 650 iE - Aprilia Caponord 1000
                  Suzuki DRZ 400 SM - Yamaha Virago 535 Bobber - Aprilia Caponord Adventure

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2011, 08:26:26 am »
Hoeveel slapies nog IDR hoeveel.

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:32 am »
Hoeveel slapies nog IDR hoeveel.

Ek is nie seker nie - einde April is die ETA - dis maa rmoeilik om slapies ui te werk as jy nie 'n presiese datum het nie ;D

The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline GIDEON

« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:52 am »
Kan dit net dink, jy droom van dit jy staan op en maak die garage deur oop en  :xxbah:

Offline Supermoto

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2011, 01:21:44 pm »
I just sat on one now at Centurion Lifestyle, sorry the build quality is not there like a KTM the levers and switches just does not match the Price for me
KTM 990 SMT

Offline ChrisvS

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • He He He He.......
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2011, 02:34:08 pm »
Ok my 2cw,

I have never had the opportunity to ride the 800GS so today I organized with Sweetspot to accompany me to Centurion Lifestyle so that I can ride both one after another for the first time  >:D

Now I don't want to do a product shootout since I know very little about bikes.

I signed the docs and was handed the key to the 800XC.

Immediately lifting the bike from the sidestand I got the feeling it is a very lightly handled bike, compared to the GS very similar. Steering is very light and the bike handles very easy in traffic while lanesplitting, I think it will make a hell of a commuter. The GS i found very easy to lansplit as well but on freewheeling at very slow speed it felt as if the frontwheel wants to give way.

After getting on the N14 to Krugersdorp I opened the triumph up and man she fly's well, now I have a Uvex helmet with a peak and we all know what wind and a peak does, at about 190 I did not have a lot of wind issues on the Helmet and it was also remarkable quiet, The GS at 160 I had the same wind shaking and noise as on my Dakar - yes my Dakar can do 160  8)

Stopping at a robot sweetspot on his GS and me on this XC we compared the bikes on pull away and the GS definitely is faster but then the XC catches up and if given enough road I think will leave the GS behind, but these bikes aren't build for road speed but offroad capability's.

Unfortunately we couldn't take them offroad but my general feeling is that these bikes compare very well and the choise when buying will be purely based on personal likes and dislikes.

I personally will buy the XC since I commute 200Km a day and the riding comfort and quietness impressed me, both bikes were without handlebar raisers and I definitely give the GS points for comfort  but adding raisers to the XC will make for a very comfy ride.
Bikes owned:
BMW F650GS Dakar, Honda VFR400F, Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, BMW R1150GS Adventure, Yamaha SR500

Offline sweetspot

• Bachelor Hound
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »
 :laughing4:

If you have ever seen a boys face with that glint and big grin and he has that look on his face " Ja, ek het K@rk aan gejaag en dit was lekker " that was it .

GS 0-100 - 4 SEC. proven , kicked a Porche 911 turbo's ass Last Monday night , from standstill at the Robot he caught up with me at 150 km/h :thumleft:   :pot:

The Freedom of my voice lies not in my democratic cross  , but in the power of my pocket.

Offline sweetspot

• Bachelor Hound
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2011, 03:29:03 pm »

Stopping at a robot sweetspot on his GS and me on this XC we compared the bikes on pull away and the GS definitely is faster but then the XC catches up and if given enough road I think will leave the GS behind,

Bm2 - when you caught up are you sure that was me in front of you cause I did'nt see you in my mirror , :pot:

Offline S - 4 - B

• Fulltime MotardNut
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • I can't say no to Italian Hussies....
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2011, 03:40:34 pm »
Jy kan maar opgee Swaer....

Dit is duidelik dat jou Triumph ticket geboek is.....
Don't blame me for the name ....I was bullied into into it by J-Dog.....
"Change your name or ride a KTM"  he said , I changed my name !!!!

Hooligan Tools - Triumph Street Triple                                                                           Beta Evo 250 Trials

Offline sweetspot

• Bachelor Hound
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2011, 03:59:23 pm »
Jy kan maar opgee Swaer....

Dit is duidelik dat jou Triumph ticket geboek is.....

:imaposer: Daar's nog een toets oor en dis die laaang grondpad , anybody taking names  :drif: I want on please !!!!

Offline S - 4 - B

• Fulltime MotardNut
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • I can't say no to Italian Hussies....
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2011, 04:11:35 pm »
Dis soos om NEE te se vir 'n mooi vrou terwyl jou hele lyf hunker dat dit kark!!!!!!

Ons sal sien hoe lank jy uithou....onthou net , die verskonings raak minder :pot:
Don't blame me for the name ....I was bullied into into it by J-Dog.....
"Change your name or ride a KTM"  he said , I changed my name !!!!

Hooligan Tools - Triumph Street Triple                                                                           Beta Evo 250 Trials

Offline sweetspot

• Bachelor Hound
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2011, 04:14:20 pm »
Dis soos om NEE te se vir 'n mooi vrou terwyl jou hele lyf hunker dat dit kark!!!!!!

Ons sal sien hoe lank jy uithou....onthou net , die verskonings raak minder :pot:

Daars 'n oplossing , book demo's elke week by al die dealers  ;D

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2011, 04:18:18 pm »

word daai arm nie seer van die pot stirr nie? hoekom vat jy nie daai baster bike van jou en toets a volbloed nie? :pot:

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R