Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My 2011 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge!  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
My 2011 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge!
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »
Hi there Guys.
I will try and keep you guys updated as to my Progress as things come along.

I have been asking a lot of questions and quite frankly irritating the crap out of the guys who know what happens in the challenge as well as those that have some experience.

I have broken My challenge into three parts. (I call it MY challenge because I am doing this SOLO, in many ways)

Part one: Myself
I like most people am carrying far too much weight than what I should be. Ill blame it on the good life. Too much Beer and Braai`s! On top of this I have been a lazy and under active for the last 10 years of my life. Golf is not an activity but rather a Hobby to have a good time out with mates and Drink loads of the before mentioned Beers.
Having bought my off-road bike 2 years ago I found the enjoyment again of a full physical activity.
So for training I was roped into RPM (Spinning) and Rowing by two of my friends Phil and Mark. I have pretty much kept up with this as well as much riding as I can handle or the missus puts up or whichever comes first.
I think that I am on the right track as when I started I could barely manage 3 laps on a motocross track and now I can manage about 30 minutes.

Part 2 : The Bike

I have opted to use my 2007 CRF 450 X which has previously done the challenge with Englishman Chris Jackson as the Rider. Although the bike has done the challenge before I did not get all of the Rally equipment with the Bike when I bought it from Chris.

There have been a number of things that I needed to get here is the rough list:
1.   Wheels – I have opted to buy HAAN rims with has a Cush or Cushion drive built into the rear wheel

I chose these rather than the Talon Rims as the Cush drive seems to be better built. I have bought the set of rims from Gecko Motorcycles here in Dubai.
2.   Tires- I have opted to get the Metzeler 6 Days Extreme tires which are FIM homologated. I imported these from Guildford tires in the UK. Nice bunch of guys and really willing to do Business.

3.   Bash Plate with Water Tank – I have gone with Force accessories bash plate with built in 3 litre water tank for emergency ration as per the FIM regulations. I imported this From Force in Australia.

4.   Exhaust – When I bought the bike it had a Yoshimura Exhaust. It was how ever missing the low noise insert which I managed to get from Yoshimura RD in the USA.
5.   Engine – After speaking to everyone and getting their thoughts around the Engine I have decided to rebuild the Entire motor. So I have ordered basically everything except the casings for the bike. Time permitting I will include a post or three about the Bike Build including the Engine Build.
6.   Road book – I have bought the MD Road book which is made by Marco Delapagne. After a long search I made contact with Marco who in turn suggested I buy the road book through Rally Raid Services in the UK. Along with the road book I Ordered the Road book ICO bracket as well as the Switch.

7.   ICO – I found ICO in the USA and they were willing to supply the unit to me.

8.   Fuel Tanks – I have decided to buy Safari Tanks from RV Aqualine in Australia. I opted to get the 21 Litre front and the 8 litre Rear tank. I hope that this balances the bike a little bit.

9.   I have bought Renthal Sprockets and a D.I.D  Chain.

Part 3 – Rally Logistics
There are a number of things that need to be listed here. Here goes my list
a.   Rally License – I have a UAE racing license that needs to be upgraded to an international license. The main things required are an Echocardiogram, ECG and Optometrist assessment of your eyes. In short the FIM want to know that I am not going to have a heart attack and if this passes they then require me to see where I am going.

b.   GPS, Sentinel, Irritrac – There are brackets and a number of plugs that are required to position these systems onto the bike. These are all available from ERTF and I have just received the order forms. Which I will be ordering shortly. The Deposits are quite hectic in value as just the Sentinel deposit is 1500 euro with a rental fee of 300 Euro for the event.

c.   Rally Support – As I said earlier this is MY Challenge. So I am supporting myself. I will be going marathon style and doing all my own servicing and repairs (hopefully very few repairs).

i.   Air filters, I have bought enough air filters for every day, so no washing and oiling filters every day.
ii.   Oil and Oil filters for Every Day.
iii.   Tires to be changed after Day 3
iv.   2 sets of Spare Tubes in case of Punctures. In case you were thinking about mousse we rarely have any Punctures in the desert so in order to keep the weight down I will not use Mousse.
v.   LOCTITE – Lots of it!
My daily routine should consist of and is not limited to:
i.   Climb off Bike.
ii.   Remove Bash plate and Drain Oil.
iii.   Replace Oil Filter.
iv.   Change Air Filter.
v.   Adjust and Lubricate the Chain
vi.   Check tire pressures.
vii.   Eat and Sleep. (I am quite slow so there will probably be no time for anything else)

It is at this point that I wish to make my objective for MY Challenge very Clear. As it is a challenge I wish to finish MY Challenge. I would only like to finish, the position is not of prime importance. It would also be a bonus if I finish in one piece, I don’t mind a few bumps or bruises and well maybe a little Saddle sore but only a little.

I will start posting about training rides as well as my bike build.

Does any one object to me putting it into this thread?

2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
Re: My 2011 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:26:17 pm »
You go on right ahead.... :)
All the best for you and those in support  :thumleft:

Subscribed

'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Buff

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »
Subscribed.  Sounds like an awesome challenge, good luck  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline edgy

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:39:06 pm »
Fantastic! Count me in! :thumleft:
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Kreef

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:54:54 pm »
 :happy1:
From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few. We band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:12:54 pm »
Hi there.
I had received an email from a friend two weeks ago asking if i would like to do a Desert Challenge training ride up in Liwa. Now for you folks who do not know the UAE Liwa is an Oasis surrounded by the Start of the Empty quarter. Empty because there is absolutely nothing there.
The requirements were a Bike with and Autonomy of 180+ Km. Seeing that i have an Acerbis 24Litre tank i took some time to install the tank and the bash plate with water holder. I figured it would be a good time to see what the bike feels like with a big ass tank on it and to see if the bash plate would actually have an effect on cresting dunes

We rented a room in the Liwa Hotel  and the plan was to leave work on Thursday after work and then to drive  up to Liwa which is 285km Away from Dubai.
In the end I was going to ride with a gent whom I had never met before. His name is Matthew Trehey. He had attempted the challenge last year but had a bad fall and broke his leg on Day 3. Along with Matt came Willem who i had the pleasure of riding with previously.

Matt is on the Left with His CRF 450 X and Wilem is on his KTM 690 Rallye.
We set off on a 50 km Liason to the Starting point, Then with 175km leg to the refuelling point where we asked our lovely wives to come with Fuel and Refreshments.
I figured it would be a good ride but best to take it easy as if things were to go wrong it would take about 8 hours to get a vehicle in to assist or get us out.
The Route

The Track on google earth.

The three of us setting off

Now here is something that i found interesting, the elevation profile of our ride in places you will be able to see Descents of 80+ meters. Huge dunes that we had to go down, Luckily not up as that would destroy most any machine.

Here is a little Video to top it all off.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XPDXU6mnpNc&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; allowfullscreen&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/embed/XPDXU6mnpNc&quot; frameborder=&quot;0&quot; allowfullscreen&gt;&lt;/iframe&gt;</a>

Sorry i seem to be a little faster than You tube.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Stats:
Distance covered : 385km
Travelling Time : 7hrs27 Min
Ave Speed : 53 Km/hr

2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:16:29 pm »
Wow...you have our attention!  :thumleft:

Is that 690 R in black?
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »
Subscribed
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:20:50 pm »
Excellent!! :hello2:

That looks suspiciously like one of the stages from Last years DC...  :deal:

I really hope you can show us your engine rebuild as well!

You need to add one more thing to your daily mechanical work: Check all bolts on the bike, especially your nav gear. I would do that daily. I would not worry about lubricating the chain in the desert, the sand will just make a grinding paste.

Do you really need 28l capacity on the DC?
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:47:02 pm »
I here is your video embedded, looks like really nice riding.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XPDXU6mnpNc&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XPDXU6mnpNc&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:13:32 pm »

Is that 690 R in black?
It sure is a black one. It was actually used by James West a couple of years ago when i am told , he achieved a third place on this bike.
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 12:18:44 pm »
Do you really need 28l capacity on the DC?
Hey BlueBull.

In the regs one requires a 200 km Autonomy and as my experience goes in tough areas I could not get 100 km from a 12 Litre tank. So i worry that if i only have a 21 litre tank i may run short of Fuel and as my experience goes it is not nice to watch your fellow competitors flying past you becuase you have run out of fuel.

Cheers
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »
Yeah, okay 200km would definitely justify bigger tanks, you only have to get lost once, and you would wish you had more.

How did you find that trip of yours, were you tired at the end of it? Or was your recovery period quite fast.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:32:06 pm by BlueBull2007 »

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 02:56:39 pm »
Subscribed
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »
How did you find that trip of yours, were you tired at the end of it? Or was your recovery period quite fast.
I Found the trip over all to be a little easier than what i was expecting. With our Baja that we have here it is basically a 200 Km Motocross track which after that I am usually poked afterwards and if we race a dual header I can barely walk for 3 days afterwards.

I think the main Difference is that the route has to accommodate cars and Trucks.

Secondly the Sand is going to be hugely different as it is quite compacted now because of the winter weather making it easier for the bike to track but very skittish on the throttle. I found myself going sideways when when the ground was not horizontal.

The Huge Dunes are going to be a nightmare in the start of Summer as the i predict a couple of riders are going to go over the bars when the front digs in! For those who have never done this the warning "Do not try this at Home " Applies. I feel that i need to work on going down the 50 - 90 Meter Dunes as i loose a shit load of time being weary of the impact at the bottom.

As for the Recovery i found i was fine the next morning, A little back pain from standing. I have to work on getting my Bars raised by at least another 30 mm.

I could have easily had another day. I must admit though after reading your RR i see what you mean about the Liason`s. Geez it is a little boring. I have the ultimate urge to wring the crap out of the throttle and get back as fast as possible. How ever riding on Tar does destroy the Tires quite quickly and on a budget I cannot afford a set of tires every day!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 07:25:14 pm »
Ok so today was a quiet day as my work is interfering with my planning. Seems i am actually paid to do some work and well the company is the reason that i am fortunate enough to take on this challenge.

So i suppose this is where I say thank you to them "THANK YOU!!"

Today i spent a little time working through these Documents so that i actually order the correct items, Have a look for yourself!

I should be getting this order in by the end of this week!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 08:48:38 am »
Lekker kenesis

All that GPS antennas and irritrack stuff is what worries me.

More please
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Hoofseun

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 01:34:43 pm »
This is excellent, share more!

"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 02:25:32 pm »
All that GPS antennas and irritrack stuff is what worries me.

More please
Hey Tau.

I took a short cut and spoke to a lovely lady here at the ATCUAE who has been dealing with this for years.

Iritrack
The Iritrack basically comes as one kit which is 117.05 Euros and the rental of 350 and deposit of 1500 plus 117.06 for shipping. Yes these prices are in euros. This is everything that you require for Iritrack.

The GPS and Sentinel are on the next form and theyou require a number of items.

GPS

GPS Rental 215 Euro.
GPS Antennae 70 Euro
GPS Power Supply cable 49.80 Euro
GPS Support Bracket 86 Euro ( This is the ERTF Bracket that they always refer to)

Sentinel

Sentinel Rental 115 Euro
Sentinel Power cable 15 Euro
Sentinel Buzzer 100dB 45 Euro
Sentinel mounting bracket 45 euro

Plus do not forget the Deposits of  1000 euro for the GPS and 500 Euro for the Sentinel.

So basically it works out to 3000 Euro`s in Deposits and 1224.91 euro`s in Rental and Purchase prices for what one needs.

Hope this helps.
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 09:02:04 am »
Sjoe almost R40000 for nav equipment :o

So if I am right you own the MD roadbook, ICO, mount bracket for GPS and the antennas?

2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600