Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: My 2011 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge!  (Read 3928 times)

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
Re: My 2011 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge!
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2011, 07:52:53 pm »
I thought I would post this for Tau becuase of the JVO kit that he has bought for his bike.

Tau, Buddy I have some advice for you courtesy of Aal Yasi Racing!

This was one of the last pics taken of Khalids bike before he pulled a Ghost rider move on the bike!

I am assuming that Khalid had the same problem as James with the Bike bottoming out due to the weak spring that they had installed as there was not enough time to get the correct springs for suspension setup. THe rear tire kept hitting the rear tank until it ruptured along with a backfire from the exhaust that set the bike alight!

So please Tau get your Suspension set up ASAP to prevent this happening to you!

Al
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »
Nice pics!!!!

I will install a YZ spring or something!!!

Did the bike catch fire?
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2011, 11:19:05 pm »
Hey Al thanks for all the brilliant pocs and posts. Sorry I only posted now, but I have been away. Come on, there must be more stories you have as well!?

I am assuming that Khalid had the same problem as James with the Bike bottoming out due to the weak spring that they had installed as there was not enough time to get the correct springs for suspension setup. THe rear tire kept hitting the rear tank until it ruptured along with a backfire from the exhaust that set the bike alight!

Al

+1,000

Decent suspension is a must, not only for this but to give you the edge on a butt-clenching moments like those photees of Coma et al hitting that berm and landing front-wheel first in the soft stuff.

I love this shot, it emptomises racing; check out the spectator cowering in the background.  ;D

Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2011, 06:53:33 am »
KTM UAE worked Feverishly to get the bike ready and I was woken up at 02h30 in the morning while some mad man raced around to run the bike in.

Alan sorry I woke you mate! but certain things got to be done.

After stage 2, which Sam Sunderland won, Sam told me about his off he had on a very tall dune, after jumping it and trying to safe the landing he put the bike down sideways and tried slide the bike down the dune, however the bike stuck to the side of the dune throwing him off and he rolled to the bottom of the dune with the bike stuck half way up! It took him 2 minutes to get back to his bike, drag it out and move on again!
That evening I was having dinner at the same table as Ruben Faria, Marc Coma and Helder Rodriques and all of them was talking about Sam. Ruben Faria mentioned this particular dune incident of Sam and said that the winning margin would have been even bigger was it not for that fall.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2011, 10:22:04 am »
Hey Al thanks for all the brilliant pocs and posts. Sorry I only posted now, but I have been away. Come on, there must be more stories you have as well!?

Al

+1,000

Decent suspension is a must, not only for this but to give you the edge on a butt-clenching moments like those photees of Coma et al hitting that berm and landing front-wheel first in the soft stuff.

I love this shot, it emptomises racing; check out the spectator cowering in the background.  ;D

You love it because  its a Husky  :drif:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Would I?

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2011, 10:41:55 am »
Great stuff and fantastic pics. Keep it coming.............
You either make dust or you eat dust.
KLR 650
KTM 950 Adventure S

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2011, 11:08:53 am »
Nice pics!!!!

Did the bike catch fire?
Hey Tau. The bike Burnt to a cinder. I was told by Angelo that he thought that maybe the wheels and the rear spring  could be salvaged. Even the GPS and Sentinel and Irritracburnt, Sadly he wont get the deposit back from those.

You can buy Springs that handle a heavier load to cope with the extra fuel and gear through Factory Connection, BTO Sports, Dennis kirk Etc.

Tau you are gonna love the Dakar Boet!

2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:19 am »

When i have time I will sit down and give some more of the last two Days!

2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2011, 11:42:21 am »
Nice pics!!!!

Did the bike catch fire?
Hey Tau. The bike Burnt to a cinder. I was told by Angelo that he thought that maybe the wheels and the rear spring  could be salvaged. Even the GPS and Sentinel and Irritracburnt, Sadly he wont get the deposit back from those.

You can buy Springs that handle a heavier load to cope with the extra fuel and gear through Factory Connection, BTO Sports, Dennis kirk Etc.

Tau you are gonna love the Dakar Boet!

Thx Boet

I am in Namibia riding the WR. I have been doing soem tweespoor and rocky roads and the setup is pefect, however when I fit the JVO kit and all that weight it is back to square !.

The forks have been upgraded internally and they are working brilliantly.

The rear I will wan't a YZ spring as it is Titanium I had one on my old bike and it worked great. Also I can get them cheap. Funny how loosing 14kg changes stock suspension setup right into magic. My good friend and Mechanic Cecil Penny has been working on my suspension since forever so he knows what I like and need. We make everything HARD and slower rebound and static sag at 95.

Shame If my JVO bike burned I would cry lioke a baby!!!!!!!

Cool pics thx it looks like it was a sprint race everyday.
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2011, 12:33:49 pm »
Here are some pictures I took.

Our camp - KTM UAE

Service bays - Empty and full

Factory team service bays for Coma & Faria

some racing pictures

the resort Qasr Al Sarab

Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2011, 06:51:24 pm »
 :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

BTW did you get to chat to Kuba Pzygonski? He is a great rider, also quite young, and a helluva good ou too. Its good to see him racing again, he broke his wrist two weeks before the Dakar this year so could not compete.

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2011, 09:43:16 am »
BTW did you get to chat to Kuba Pzygonski?

Unfortunately not, even though he was camped 3 tents down from me! Next time....when you and Tau (and whoever else from the WD's) is going to be here for the rally as well

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2011, 03:07:11 pm »
Hi there Guys.

Sorry i havent posted the pics and the story from the last Day but in my defense i have a good reason.

I went in last week for my Ti upgrade foor my left shoulder. So to finish off my 2011 Desert challenge i have now had the operation which took 2 hours to clean the bones and cear up al the scar tissue that was formed. Also me for one that does not like drugs in any form can honestly say that i hate Morphine with its drowsy side effects.But then again i dont want to think what it would have been without the Morphine.

I have had an intermedullary Device installed into my clavicle rather than a plate and screws. New age technology courtesy of an American doctor. So here is what it looks like

So in a couple of weeks I can start training and in 5 months time i will start training for My 2012 Onslaught of the Abu Dhabi Desert challenge!

Cheers

Al
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2011, 04:48:23 pm »
Sheeesh Al, serious stuff.  :o

Your mrs has probably already said this but dont overdo it too early, just let it come right before you go tearing the ring out of it (literally)!

Keep us informed on your progress towards finish next years Comp. Lets hope its a finish this time and not necessarily an onslaught.  :mwink:

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2011, 01:11:30 am »
I just noticed that South Africa is well represented in the KTM pits.
Portable Shade(the gazebos) is Brad Anassis' company. Pretoria boytjie and SA drag racing champ.
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:13 am »
Portable Shade(the gazebos) is Brad Anassis' company. Pretoria boytjie and SA drag racing champ.

Yep Mark and cindy Ackerman are shading the middle east, one shade at a time!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Aquatic

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2011, 12:07:11 pm »

Yep Mark and cindy Ackerman are shading the middle east, one shade at a time!

:thumleft:
And the yanks are worried about China taking over the world's economy :imaposer:
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Dubai
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2011, 11:44:34 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9B5pasJmdx0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9B5pasJmdx0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>[/flash]
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2011, 11:28:56 am »
Hi there Guys.

Sorry i havent posted the pics and the story from the last Day but in my defense i have a good reason.

I went in last week for my Ti upgrade foor my left shoulder. So to finish off my 2011 Desert challenge i have now had the operation which took 2 hours to clean the bones and cear up al the scar tissue that was formed. Also me for one that does not like drugs in any form can honestly say that i hate Morphine with its drowsy side effects.But then again i dont want to think what it would have been without the Morphine.

I have had an intermedullary Device installed into my clavicle rather than a plate and screws. New age technology courtesy of an American doctor. So here is what it looks like

So in a couple of weeks I can start training and in 5 months time i will start training for My 2012 Onslaught of the Abu Dhabi Desert challenge!Cheers

Al

Good one Al!! I will pick your brain to pieces afterwards :mwink: Depending on how business goes , I am aiming to do either this race or Aussie Safari in 2013 (that's enough time to get rid of my lard ass for once and for all!!)

'16 KTM 300 XCW